Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

General conceptions about growing tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

O.S.O.K.

OK, I've mentioned this site and growing tobacco on a couple of other boards that I hang on - gun boards. One thing seems to be constant - many people have no idea that you can legally grow tobacco and sell the whole leaf. Many insist that it's illegal, etc.

I sure didn't know about this before coming here - I didn't have a strong opinion, just thought you had to have a license and pay excise taxes, etc. - like having a micro brewery or something.

What are others here running into? The same?

It's times like this that the level of tyranny in our present day lives here in the US becomes very evident. People are very paranoid about doing anything that MIGHT bring unwanted attention...

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The reason this forum was started is because of the misconception about the ability to grow and sell whole leaf tobacco.

I have personally spoken with many governmental agencies regarding the sale of whole leaf tobacco. The only tax that needs to be charged in any sale of whole leaf tobacco is State sales tax if you are based in and sale occurs within that State. When I sell to an Ohio resident, I charge an additional 6.5% sales tax. This is the only tax I am obligated to charge.

As far as growing it...no license or permit is needed to grow tobacco. You can grow 10 plants or 10,000 acres and you don't need a permit to sell it to whoever or where ever you want.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Back before the tobacco buy out bill came through there was young kids growing tobacco crops of their own to sell and for school credit in FFA classes .My son did .
Im not for sure but I don't think there is any restrictions on kids raising tobacco either .
IM NOT SAYING KIDS SHOULD RAISE TOBACCO just the laws .

Daniel

Banned
I have people say "You can grow tobacco"? a lot. My son hears about how illegal it is all the time but I don't. I guess a few people have even told my wife or kids that unless tobacco is processed correctly it is poison and will kill you. All of these comments come from people that have never even thought about growing it. The I think therefore it is theory. We are going to make our own soap and there are people saying the same things. Now in the case of tobacco if it is not aged you may wish it would kill you cause it can be a real nasty smoke. and with soap if it is not done right it can burn your skin. It is my opinion that growing your own tobacco may never attract attention. I don't think enough people will ever do it.
As of right now most people I know are paying $30 or more for cartons of cigarettes. I tell them that right now I can show them where they can buy tobacco and tubes on the internet for about $10 a carton. None of them have taken me up on it. I know of one other person that goes to one of the roll your own shops and still pays $20 to roll them by the carton in a machine. People want there cigarettes in a nice neat package off the shelf. and will pay through the nose for it.

O.S.O.K.

I had a member respond on another board that I frequent - to a post about tobacco as a cash crop. His family grew tobacco and he personally grew tobacco but got out of it because "there was no money in it". When I pressed him a bit he admitted that he didn't even know what kind of tobacco they grew (burley I guess) and that they just graded the leaf and bundled it for sale at a coop. He said "I don't even know what kind it was..." :)

Then (and this is good) he asked where you can sell the leaf :D I told him here for one and then referred to one of the many on-line stores that are out there and pointed out that they have to get their leaf from growers....

This site is very cool - on several levels IMHO. Being a gun nut (I'm ok with "nut" as it's like golf nut or football nut) I can appreciate the situtation that tobacco growers find themselves. Same governmental agency...

I wish I could get started this spring but I'll have to wait - I have far too many other things to accomplish but I may try and get a late crop in if that's feasible. I could prepare the soil though with some lime and fertilizer - get a soil test done... I can use that for my food plots too.

BigBonner

Founding Member
If the man didn't remember what type tobacco he raised I would say he is lieing . If you raise tobacco and the hard work that comes from tobacco you will remember the type well , You will never forget .

Raising shade leaf as far south as you are , it may get too hot . I would try a small amount . Its cooler in the summer where comericial shad is grown.

Planting any kind of tobacco after the temperatures reach over 80 degrees makes it tough on fresh planted plants on a large scale . It isn't too bad if you only have a few plants that you can water and care for . But take a few thousand . You cannot water them all .Early spring is best . Mid summer is near impossible .
Here where I live planting after July 1st is impossible to get the plants in the tilled soil to live . Sun stress .

I would check out planting times for tomatoes where you live and plant my tobacco at that sugested time .

If you have toruble with plants Im sure that can be taken care fo also form members on here .

Status
Not open for further replies.