Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar rolling test #2 paper towels to real tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdaddy

The tobacco used in this video is right out of the bag from WLT which I find to be perfect.

The leaf orientation is mentioned in very few videos and should be made clear. I hope this helps.

Gdaddy

Nicely done Don. So you are going from tail to foot. ....

The best, most flavorful tobacco (the tip of the leaf) should be placed forward toward the foot of the cigar and the lesser quality tobacco should go toward the head (the round part you put in your mouth). As the cigar burns toward the end the last inch or two is part that gets thrown away and contains is the least desirable tobacco. Makes sense.

If you don't roll using the leaf orientation as shown in the video it's not the end of the world. However, it can be the difference of a good cigar vs. a great cigar and it's no more difficult to roll this way so why not do it?

An easy way to remember this is to ..."Put your best foot forward". Which puts the best tobacco in the front 2/3's of the cigar.

The wrapper will get rolled from the foot up to the head. You'll see in the next video the wrapper leaf gets placed with the tip down pointing at the roller. The foot of the cigar (containing all the tips) is placed on the tip of the wrapper leaf and rolled up to the head of the cigar. Again, that portion of leaf that wraps around the head to create the first cap is the lesser desirable part of the leaf.

Cheers!

moscca

I also orientate my leaves so the top of the leave becomes the foot of the cigar.
But I place the top of the leaves towards me and start with rolling the foot of the cigar.
The foot end I don't cut, I place it in the mold like that so I don't get confused which end goes where.
I find that if you cut the head end of the cigar a bit under an angle with the chaveta before placing in the mold, the rounding becomes better chaped.

Jan.

Gdaddy

I also orientate my leaves so the top of the leave becomes the foot of the cigar.
But I place the top of the leaves towards me and start with rolling the foot of the cigar.
The foot end I don't cut, I place it in the mold like that so I don't get confused which end goes where.
I find that if you cut the head end of the cigar a bit under an angle with the chaveta before placing in the mold, the rounding becomes better chaped.

Jan.

Excellent. The orientation makes a difference and as long as you keep track of where it is then whatever method is good. I've heard very little mention about this topic of leaf orientation and wanted to bring it out into the open. One of the small details of bunching that no one talks about.

I see many rollers put a little angle on the head before the mold. Mine come out pretty round so I don't bother. If I was hand rolling without the mold then definitely.

ArizonaDave

Great video Don, once again! Sometimes I'll add tips in the middle of the cigar too. Went out and bought more C-clamps for my "Oval" cigars. I use oak boards 1" X 4" X 12" long. I had the guys at Lowes cut them in half from 2 ft, and doubled my boards for more cigars :)

ArizonaDave

Great video Don, once again! Sometimes I'll add tips in the middle of the cigar too. Went out and bought more C-clamps for my "Oval" cigars. I use oak boards 1" X 4" X 12" long. I had the guys at Lowes cut them in half from 2 ft, and doubled my boards for more cigars :)

The caps are a little harder, but not much. Have to cut that little packman shape to get them to fit properly, sometimes I'll put a strip by the foot too.

charlie G.

Gdaddy you have me thinking again after watching this video for the umpteenth time.
I had never thought of using Seco for a binder. Maybe cause I am new to this. After watching and more thought I guess almost any leaf can be used as a binder. I guess you pretty much want to try to use a good burning leaf tho.
Thanks again for making these videos as they help open our minds to this rolling our own. I've learned alot from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.