Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Minimum temperature tobacco will grow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Hi guys,

I started my tobacco late (this being my first year growing) and was wondering what the minimum temperature required for tobacco to grow. I'll be cutting it close with my plants, hoping to harvest by mid September. I'm growing in temperature zone 5b.

Thanks,

Jason

Edit: Minimum

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Re: Miinimum temperature tobacco will grow?

Plug in your zip code and this will give you your average first and last frost dates. Tobacco might survive a light frost, but much more than that will kill them and ruin the leaf. http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/781-Last-and-First-Frost-Date-When-Is-It-Really
Good luck. Keep an eye on the forecasts and you may have to harvest early. I had to do that last year before an early frost. They cured okay.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Re: Miinimum temperature tobacco will grow?

JASON -

If you can grow tomatoes, you can grow tobacco. Same planting dates; same killing frost dates.

You should have no problem in Chicago! (Other than possible late planting this year.)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My standard example of the geographic range of tobacco growing is that there is commercial tobacco grown in Nepal. Unfortunately (for the value of my example), the annual weather in Nepal is considerably better than in Chicago.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=45444

The essential question is on what date will the tobacco go into the ground. If it's not yet transplanted, then the odds are against you. If you've just transplanted, then you should be able to harvest some usable leaf, but you'll have to take special measures for the following 5-6 weeks, while it color-cures from green to yellow to brown. Once it's brown, freezing won't harm the leaf.

Bob

Jason

Thank you for all of the responses.

I have yet to transplant them. I'll wait another week or so because I feel that they're still a bit small. That being said, they are going into five gallon buckets so maybe I could put them inside once the weather is no longer tolerable?

DonH

If you have them in buckets then you can just bring them inside if there's going to be a frost and take them out again the next day. That should prolong your season a lot. Usually in cold parts of the country there's an isolated frost or freeze in late September but then a few more weeks of warm enough days for growth.

CT Tobaccoman

In Connecticut and Massachusetts Broadleaf and Havana seed is often not cut until mid September, which is more a hurricane season than a frost threat. If your climate is warmer than New England you probably don't have to worry, although tobacco loves the SUN.

CT Tobaccoman

He'll probably have to cure them with some heat, if it is Chicago in October. I have cured plants in an 8th floor apartment into December. When they got too dry, 30 minutes in the bathroom with the shower running hot water (not IN the water, LOL) cases them right up. Even the pros do that when bringing samples to show in the winter.

Jason

This is all incredibly helpful.

DonH should I simply watch for temperature drops and pull in my plants if I feel it may frost?

Tobaccoman, funny that you mention broadleaf and havana because those are my two main that I'm growing. Also did you leave your plants by a heater? Maybe with the combination of a heater and humidifier you could successfully dry out your leaves (without ruining them). That's interesting that you mention bringing your leaves into the shower.

DonH

Yeah, just look at the weather forecast. It will say if there's a frost warning. The days will still get warm enough in the fall. Also, being in buckets, the soil will warm up more in the day so you should be fine until mid October.

Status
Not open for further replies.