Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tip Matching. Leaf direction and why it's important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdaddy

A subject not mentioned or discussed is the leaf direction as the cigar is assembled. I brought it up in my video but I wanted to give a clear example of how the tobacco is richer and more flavorful toward the tip end.

Attention should be given so every leaf in the cigar has leaf tips heading toward the foot of the cigar. Some seem to think it makes a minuscule difference. Only one leaf facing the wrong way would make very little difference but when you add up the binder all the filler and the wrapper with all the tips matching vs not matching there is a much larger improvement to be had. Two cigars made from identical tobacco could taste very different to one another.

As a good example take a look at this Ecuadorian Maduro wrapper leaf and see the difference from one end to the other. Every tobacco leaf in the cigar will have this same characteristic though some are more visibly noticeable than others.

tip color.jpg

buck

You'll get more flavor at the tip but as it burns you'll get less flavor as it hits the less flavorful part of the leaf.
If you want a more consistent stick all the way through you may want to put some tips near the center as well.
Depends what you like.

Gdaddy

You'll get more flavor at the tip but as it burns you'll get less flavor as it hits the less flavorful part of the leaf.
If you want a more consistent stick all the way through you may want to put some tips near the center as well.
Depends what you like.

The worst part of the leaves will be in the last inch or two that gets thrown away. You get to smoke the good stuff.

I have a question concerning this... I have been tearing the filler and taking the pointy ends from the foot and moving them to the head for consistency in thickness. This is also how I see it done in the videos. I would think it would make the cigar more consistent.. the heavily flavored at the very tip of the leaf now being paired with the less flavorful bottom of the leaf, and somewhere around 3/4's of the way up the leaf as the actual foot. How do you keep the tips at the foot and still tear the filler to bunch it up consistently?

MarcL

Back filling can be tricky. I'll fill the head area with less significant leaf like, head clippings, or scrap wrapper.
There's just going to be a part at the end I'm not going to smoke.

You figure when assembling a blend we want keep in mind to spread the good stuff out some.

In those videos, notice where those tips will go and, the bottoms will be placed. Or, head and foot of what has been called frog legged tobacco.

Something funny is, not all of those tips will make it in the assembly. I wonder where that goes... somewhere special I'm sure.

It makes no sense to me to design a blend, take enough care to assemble it so that in some way gets represented by the foot, just to cut it off with a tuck cutter..... Just a rant.

About your question. Carefully. But, I like to keep the tips more towards the front but spread out.
Your right. Density of girth is not the only reason. There's flavor too.

ArizonaDave

Gdaddy, I've been clipping the tips and putting them about 1 inch down from the foot in case I have to trim a little, don't want to lose the best part of the stick. The videos have improved my technique a lot, and especially since I'm not clipping the tip. Just something to consider. What say you? Anybody?

MarcL

I like that. That makes sense. Design the assembly so our sweet spot is behind the tuck cut.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Wow? I have a tuck cutter I just put on paper that would smoke a common cutter. A three part rotatinal that cuts the same all of the way around. equal--Think round? Almost have every thing now....Hum? Mad-

Gdaddy

Gdaddy, I've been clipping the tips and putting them about 1 inch down from the foot in case I have to trim a little, don't want to lose the best part of the stick. The videos have improved my technique a lot, and especially since I'm not clipping the tip. Just something to consider. What say you? Anybody?

I agree with Marc. Smoke what ever the length is that it comes out and don't snip off the end to make uniform length. You're cutting off the best part of the cigar.

If you like robustos then roll them. Cutting toro's into robusto's is such a waste. Especially if you've taken the effort to keep the best tobacco up at the foot. Just makes no sense.

Another option is not to snip at all. Leave a shaggy foot full of tips for something extraordinary.

ArizonaDave

I agree with Marc. Smoke what ever the length is that it comes out and don't snip off the end to make uniform length. You're cutting off the best part of the cigar.

If you like robustos then roll them. Cutting toro's into robusto's is such a waste. Especially if you've taken the effort to keep the best tobacco up at the foot. Just makes no sense.

Another option is not to snip at all. Leave a shaggy foot full of tips for something extraordinary.

The Tips go right back in one leaf at a time. Shaggy foot? Done!

webmost

That's been the toughest part of perfecting the molded perfecto, is getting the right length and girth on the bunch, and with a proper taper at each end. Boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.