Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hand Built Humidors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

There's a lot of detailing that can be put into a humidor, but at the end of the day, you've got a good looking box. I've been woodworking for quite some time now, primarily building guitars, and have come to collect a great amount of cedar. I was brainstorming ways that I could use my excess cedar and I found that building humidors would suffice without presenting an impossible task.

Everybody who smokes the occasional cigar knows that Spanish cedar is by far the best bet for humidors. However, if you're on a budget, aromatic cedar would be the box to buy. The problem is with arrow is that it can leave a distinct smell that may soak into your precious cigars, potentially ruining them. I believe I may have found a solution to this problem.

My idea is to build the arrow humidors and lather them in coffee grounds. Working the coffee grounds into the porous grains of cedar should overcome the natural odor. Once the coffee grounds have been worked in, I will leave the cedar to air dry, in which I will commence to clean it. My guess is that I may have to apply multiple coats of coffee grounds until the smell is permanent.

Why coffee? I love the smell of coffee and tobacco. They blend with such an elegance that can't be matched. However, having not tried this yet, I am still open to other ideas.

Please comment on this! I'm really looking forward to any other ideas/suggestions/feedback that people may have. If this all works out, I intend on offering a few of them up for trade, maybe for a few cigars?

Best regards,

Jason

ArizonaDave

There's a lot of detailing that can be put into a humidor, but at the end of the day, you've got a good looking box. I've been woodworking for quite some time now, primarily building guitars, and have come to collect a great amount of cedar. I was brainstorming ways that I could use my excess cedar and I found that building humidors would suffice without presenting an impossible task.

Everybody who smokes the occasional cigar knows that Spanish cedar is by far the best bet for humidors. However, if you're on a budget, aromatic cedar would be the box to buy. The problem is with arrow is that it can leave a distinct smell that may soak into your precious cigars, potentially ruining them. I believe I may have found a solution to this problem.

My idea is to build the arrow humidors and lather them in coffee grounds. Working the coffee grounds into the porous grains of cedar should overcome the natural odor. Once the coffee grounds have been worked in, I will leave the cedar to air dry, in which I will commence to clean it. My guess is that I may have to apply multiple coats of coffee grounds until the smell is permanent.

Why coffee? I love the smell of coffee and tobacco. They blend with such an elegance that can't be matched. However, having not tried this yet, I am still open to other ideas.

Please comment on this! I'm really looking forward to any other ideas/suggestions/feedback that people may have. If this all works out, I intend on offering a few of them up for trade, maybe for a few cigars?

Best regards,

Jason

Coffee can be easily "infused" into any cigar. Put whole beans, unground at the foot end of the cigars, and let the humidity and natural infusion take place.

webmost

Could you seal your aromatic cedar box with varnish or some such to tone down the odor? Not into coffee infused cigars, myself. Don't see where that would make the odor better. Your Spanish cedar does infuse a cedar odor into your cigars. That's one reason they are prized. The main reason, though, is you can say "I spent too much money on this fanciness".

The best box for practical reasons, such as holding constant humidity, lotsa room and low cost per size, is obviously the coolidor.

For a low cost Spanish cedar box, go to cheaphumidors.com and look at their seconds. I got a fine looking 100 count with an inlaid leaf design, not a scratch on it, for forty bucks. Only reason it was a second is the two sided tape the Chinese used to attach the hygrometer did not stick. A little gorilla glue fixed that.

Jason, I'd say just make your best looking box and see if someone likes the looks enough to jump on it. If you can make a good looking guitar, then a toght sealed cedar box ought to be a snap.

Jason

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have some free time next week and I'll be sure to post some pictures as soon as it's built.

Jason

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Jason

Knucklehead, valid point, however there is a lot more that comes into consideration when discussing price. Wood that is generally mass "refined" in efforts to lower cost, looses a lot of its aesthetics. Due to kiln drying (drying the wood with intense heat), the wood develops a dull color. The best way for a highly figured piece of wood like cedar to maintain its appearance, is to let it air dry for at least three years. You can assume that the air drying alternative cost much more. Much like tobacco leaves, if you dry them instantly with a dehydrator, they lose their best qualities.

Fortunately for me, price is not an issue because I harvest and dry all of my wood myself, guaranteeing the highest quality products to my customers.

I'll be home from work in a few hours and will post a picture of some cedar that I have laying around.

Thanks,

Jason

DIY Pete

Jason,
As you know Aromatic Cedar is not used in humidors because of the overpowering scent. That said I think finishing and sealing the wood is the best route to go. That way you get the great look of your premium humidor without the aroma. I store all my cigars in a wine fridge and it has very little Spanish cedar in it.

Pete

Gdaddy

Aromatic cedar ruined all my cigars many years ago. Horrible bitter taste. I wouldn't put a cigar anywhere near it even if you went to the trouble of sealing it. Sorry.

BarG

Founding Member
Spanish Cedar and Aromatic Cedar are practically the same price. Spanish Cedar is not a true cedar at all, but a relative of the mahogany family.

Spanish Cedar: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000680/2754/Cedar-Spanish-14-x-4-x-36.aspx
note that this board is 1" wider and one foot longer than the aromatic cedar. 1/4" x 4" x 36" Price ea. $10.49

Aromatic Cedar: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000679/1936/Cedar-Aromatic-14-x-3-x-24.aspx
1/4" x3" x 24" Price ea. $8.79

If you buy it rough ,Spanish cedar, [A nuetral odor but great properties for moisture control] you can get it for about $4-4.50 a bd ft.[1"x12"12"] the dimensions above = .125 bdft for $8.79.

BarG

Founding Member
I had my son in law pick me up a 2"x 8" x 8'piece about 3-4 years ago @ Masons mill in Houston. Roughly 10.5 bdft. It was about $45.00 -55.00 after tax.

JOE1977

There is a guy on ebay named Bob in Maine that sells Spanish cedar at a very reasonable price. I Built my cabinet out of 3/4" Mahogany and the sc trays and baxes take care of any beetle that wants to invade. Gdady is 100% correct on using arro Cedar.

photo 3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

BarG

Founding Member
There is a guy on ebay named Bob in Maine that sells Spanish cedar at a very reasonable price. I Built my cabinet out of 3/4" Mahogany and the sc trays and baxes take care of any beetle that wants to invade. Gdady is 100% correct on using arro Cedar.

View attachment 12458

Why is he right on using aromatic cedar? Where in the construction is it? It appears to be on the face of the trays.

Gdaddy

Why is he right on using aromatic cedar? Where in the construction is it? It appears to be on the face of the trays.

I think he means I'm correct in my post about NOT using aromatic cedar at all in a humidor.

Status
Not open for further replies.