Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Old Vintage Outboard Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmaxB

Have not been in for awhile thought I'd stop by...
Went fishing last early June - took a canoe with trolling motor & stayed a week. The canoe was a pain in the arse so when I got back home I started looking for another boat.
Bought a 16 foot Sea King with a 15 hp Sea King motor for $1,100. Motor had great compression but would not start, I rebuilt the carb and set timing. But the damn carb leaked fuel like crazy.
Was a spring on the float. Gutted the boat and repainted 100%. I'll post some pics on the boat later...
Also picked up a 1967 Johnson 3 HP to use as a spare and for trolling. When I got her in the mail I tested compression and had 3 pounds for less than 2 seconds of each cylinder. S.O.B.!!
But her she is now - Sweet!!

Am looking at another one now... Really nice little motor rebuilt her top to bottom - compression trouble was due to a bad head gasket / wrapped head from over heating. Had clogged water passages.

Sorry forgot to add tags...

DGBAMA

I forget what it is like to have time for motors, boats, and fishing (since growing tobacco). Looks like taking the season off is doing you good.

AmaxB

Growing Tobacco will keep ya busy, tinkering with the motors is much more fun. Hope you have been doing well DGBAMA. I am really excited about the 10 hp Johnson - to dig into it.
The little 3 hp is so freaking quite and smooth when Idled way down you can count the piston bangs. I'd pit it up to any new motor of it's class and am sure it will last me the rest of my life.
I'll be going back up to the Allegheny Reservoir in September for Walleye and Pike so I want these things running tip top and must complete the boat for the trip. The old johnsons were kick ass
bullet proof motors - easy on gas too when running right.

DGBAMA

I have a 4hp mercury, mid 70s. Time for an impeller, but runs like a new one. Starts easy even when it sis long periods of time. Best ob motor I have EVER had.

AmaxB

The old Mercury motors were pretty, I looked at a few of them when I was shopping. They just go and go. I'll be going north this coming Sunday to pick up a 56 10hp Johnson that I bought to replace my 85 Sea King. I have not run the Sea King on my boat but can see it is going to be a problem motor.

AmaxB

Wow what a day! Left here at 5:30 AM just got back 11:45 PM the road trip was just shy of 1000 miles. The motor turns out is better than I hoped for, no dents, decals all look good, the gas can is in good shape, and the Gage Works!
She has some fade to the paint and is missing 1 small part on the hood that does not do much of anything. The rest of her is tip top but I still need to give her a good going over - (just reading this is getting interesting HA...)
This girl was born the same year I was in 56, her dady was Mr. Johnson, and she is powered by 10 horses. I'll post some more about her later....

AmaxB

Working the framing for the 85 Sea King's New Deck. Pieces have been cut - checked for fit. Am now applying Marine Epoxy to the various pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.