Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wet Bulb Calculator, without the Wet Bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

If you look up your local weather station you can get your bar pressure. Being over rh in yellowing is no problem.

Bex

Thanks for the info. I assumed that it was better to perhaps have a bit too much humidity, than too little, where the leaf would dry prematurely. Dealing with RH is easier for me. I was reading about 'dewpoint', etc. - a few times my hygrometer was reading 99%, which is the highest that it will register. Dewpoint, from what I understand, is 100% where condensation would now occur on the leaves themselves. I don't seem to have that - the leaves do not have surface moisture laying on them. I am halfway through the yellowing stage, and it will be interesting to see, when I go to wilting, how the humidity regulates itself (assuming that now the leaves are giving off less moisture??) and whether or not I will have to control this with venting, etc. Interesting!

Bex

It would seem to indicate that too much humidity/moisture would cause problems once you are starting to raise the temp after yellowing is complete. So, would this mean that you must make sure that leaf moisture and/or humidity levels are within the proper boundaries before you raise the temps for wilting??

I would like to ask this question again!! As some sites indicate:
Leaf browning is caused by having humidity levels too high when the temperature is increased at the end of colouring.

Does this mean that when you start to bump up your temp from 95 to 118F in wilting - if the humidity is slow to drop, browning will occur? So, is it better to drop the humidity, before you bump up the temps??

DGBAMA

Raise temp in 5deg increments, and wait for rh to fall 5-10% between each temp change. Yes, raising temp too rapidly without allowing time for rh to come down will end with brown leaf. Humidity is slow to follow temp because the leaf is giving up moisture to the air in the chamber. The more leaf you have in, the longer it takes rh to adjust.

Brown Thumb

I would try to follow the schedule. If you are trying to get green out I would say no. But I have made so many mistakes this yr. with humidity and timing due to temp was on auto and I was not able to adjust rh at the same time. Sleeping, At work, senior moment, Ect And the leaf always turned out good to super. From what I can tell it is far from a exact procedure.

Bex

I imagine then, that this takes a considerable amount of time, no?? Perhaps that is why the 'schedule' shows this gradual increase of temp over the course of 12 hours or so. I see from your other post I just read, that you do this in 5 increments. So, as I'm doing this (sadly) in celsius, that is basically a 2c raise at each increment. So, perhaps as a rather inaccurate 'rule of thumb' this 2c bump of temp would occur approximately every 2 hours of so, if you are using that 12 hour period as a guide. I guess works out, as currently, with the vent I am using, I am only losing about 1% humidity every 15 minutes or so. So, 8% every two hours, over the course of 12 hours, dumps it down to about 50%. Makes sense. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.