Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Powermatic S Tobacco Shredder NOW Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Nobody has disassembled a cutter here to provide a picture of the profile of a knife. The knives are not round but lobed. The lobed pull the tobacco into the cutter head where it is sliced.

Last edited:

Brown Thumb

I have taken them out. All I have to say is oops. Don't do it if not needed. What a PITA to put back together. I might have pics somewhere, I will check the the computer in the house tonight.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I guess I should have said

"I've never heard of anyone ever disassembling a cutter head since it would be a complete pain in the ass to reassemble it" ;)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Give it your best shot BT, See how running it thru the mill does for the mill. I still love my oldy model. I'll be pissed if I bust it. I have a problem sometimes with the first feed to get it to run and start shredding. Any suggestions. After I get it shredding its fine. I think it has something to do with the sensor to allow the knives to engage.

I've had the same problem. I'm suspecting dust on the sensor eye since it sits so long between uses.

Brown Thumb

I've had the same problem. I'm suspecting dust on the sensor eye since it sits so long between uses.
I took my sensors out the first day I got her. If you use yours a lot you will be Suprised at how much crap builds up on the cutters and wipers.

Brown Thumb

I have been shredding with both and I would reach for old nelly first.
She feeds a lot easier and is a little quicker and I don't have to use the push stick.
The opening is too small for easy feeding on the new model.
But if someone never had a old model they would never know it. And love her.

forumdotabaco

Brown Thumb

The knifes pull the tobacco in. When we used pasta machines they had no knifes or teeth per say and we would rough up the wheels to pull the tobacco in. The pasta machines have wheels like your pic.

Old Putt Cigars

I think the cutter is too short after further inspection.

Really good review BT, excellent work! Thanks for taking the time to do it.

I just put two (2) pounds through my "New Model" also (never had the old model). I did notice that the input opening was narrow even before reading your review. But more especially that it was shallow, requiring a spatula push to feed a crumpled leaf through. No problem at all and no noticeable motor drag. But, I had the same problem with the gap on the right side, the knives being too short/narrow. I had to go back through the tobacco, pick out the small un-shredded strips and re-feed them into the opening at center/left. So, I searched for reviews (and found yours) to evaluate whether it was a design flaw or a quality control problem on this particular machine. Now I know it’s certainly a design flaw, the machine wouldn't even assemble if it were a QC problem.

Look, I’m not going to kick the retailers or wholesalers/distributors. They probably received the machine and evaluated it just like everybody else, but think about the manufacturing process. Surely Design Engineers, Manufacturing Setup Engineers, Tech’s and others have Tested, Re-Tested & Re-Re-Tested this thing hundreds of times. It appears to be a robust, well made & probably reliable machine. But, when you put the necessary capitol (money/time) into manufacturing an otherwise good machine, what kind of thinking does it take to Know that you have a non-working gap “By Design” in the cutting blade width, “Call Her Good”, and send it to production? Would you do that? Is it just me? Holy Cow!

I don’t mean to rant & I’m not ticked, I’m befuddled.

Brown Thumb

Befuddled would be the proper term, as so was I.
Having dealt with Chris at powermatic many times I know he cares about his products.
They went two steps forward on the redesign for sturdiness and not Jambing. But one step backwards on ease of use and the uncut leaf problem.
I put two pieces of a wooden paint stick stirs on the sides I cut to size inbetween the blade wiper bars and that helps some with the leaf falling thru.
They should be able to make some clip on shields for the sides to stop the leaf from falling thru. It does it on both sides also.
image.jpg

DGBAMA

On an otherwise great machine, that is definitely a HUGE oversight from a design standpoint. Befuddled just scratches the surface of how I feel about seeing that.

Don't get me wrong, if my old one broke I would still buy it, but DAMN, That is about as obvious as putting a 28" door in a 30" door frame.

Brown Thumb

Well in my hands it is only a matter of time.
Hard to say how many pounds I put thru her, I would guess about 50.
I spoke to Chris about the other problems and he said no one had mentioned the leaf falling thru problem.
He said the Boss was on his way to china to work out some problems and would have him check into it.
A Bearing failed good thing the moment I heard I shut her down. Them little balls could have made a mess of the gears.
I will order good bearings these are probably cheap junk ones.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

ArizonaDave

I'm looking forward to the hand crank model, because I'm mostly a cigar guy, but would like to make smaller cigars. I bet I have 3 lbs of scrap on hand I'd sure like to cut down and blend into a mini. I believe Bob or DGBama showed me a bigger sized roller for small cigars, have that in my amazon basket. Now, I just need the hand crank model.

Eventually, I just might spring for an auto shredder.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I like My pasta hand crank. I put a slip of hose and a butt of a scewdriver on it for the drill. It works for Me. I don't even use the electric shreader I have. That looks like alot of parts to deal with to Me. Mad-

Brown Thumb

Zico really should put you on the payroll BT.
I like to work pro bono, that way I can't get Fired. Always wanted to be a Lawyer, But was raised with morals.
When talking to Chris he does not test whole leaf like your Quality Product or Whole leaf like we Gro.
But gets scraps from the Other guy. I bought whole leaf once from the other guy and it is far from a Whole Leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.