Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Powermatic S Tobacco Shredder NOW Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Wish I had time to shred mine as it came cured.

FYI, kilning shredded baccy in freezer Zip locks worked great for me last year.

Brown Thumb

I Got 52 pounds of shredded so far. So I would say the new powermatic lasted about 30 pounds since we were giving her a workout. My boy did the math twice. Weighed on a paint scale.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 93

Freeotatv

Hi brown thumb...

i just received the new model s shredder and yeah..this machines is a beauty (its my first model..so cant compare tp prior models)

i would be interested of if / when you do receive replacements ball bearings which are higher grade than the oem se, where they can be ordered and part /order details.

i see what you mean about the side cutters..i didnt tear it down but do see the missed cuts.

i try to minimize this with guiding the leaf to stay centered by pulling the backside of the leaf as it feeds to try to keep it centered..but this would also lead to the mid cutter teeth wearing faster than the side teeth...

Brown Thumb

eBay, f698zz is the bearing no. Buy it now was 13. 90 each. Irvineman is the seller. His bearings are from a good manufacturer, I forget the name but it was on the bearing.

Freeotatv

Thanks for the help..did you perform the replacement procedure?..any tricky steps? I havent opened her up yet..so not familiar with her inners yet.

Brown Thumb

I only bought one bearing and installed it due to the price. Real easy to do.
Only to find out there is another bad one. I spoke to Chris at powermatic and he has no replacement parts yet and is waiting for more failures before starting to stock replacement parts. Not what I wanted to hear. No word on the other problem either. There waiting for more complaints I guess. They will fix it under warranty If I return it to them. Cost me more in shipping than bearings. I am not real happy with them at moment.

DGBAMA

They should send you a new one, with a prepaid shipping label to return the bad one. Just my opinion.

Brown Thumb

It is a new model, I am OK with a problem or two. He could of at least offered to get some better bearings and ship them to me. I would rather return it for a older model.

Freeotatv

Thanks bt...helpful...i like to take things apart too...these days its a must with products...screw holes not lined up etc...had a cat5 tester ship from ebay where the power button wouldnt move to the on position..took it apart and had to shave down the inner part of the power switch...go figure..why pay return shipping for $7 tester..

Anyways...in your opinion..is the ball bearing failure a matter of time to fail.... or usage related....i use mine for light usage and if the failure is " only a matter of time" i may just replace the ball bearings sooner than later when i eventually open her up for some lubing.

Also on the lubing part...did the shredder come already lubed where you dont have to lube for the first 10-20lbs...or would you open her up pretty quick and lube her up.

I already bought the safety torque bits...just looking to try to service her at the right time and do what needs to be done when i open her up the first time.

Brown Thumb

The bearings are sealed, she is already lubed and ready to go. No grease fittings on this model.
Dont get me wrong she is a good machine and they built her to last.
That is the problem, I am so used to my other one that it seems like a step backwards in some ways.
I would not worry about your bearings. It took at least 30 pounds of baccy before she broke and I cant say I treated her with the upmost respect. If powermatic sees a problem with them they will address it.They are a good company.
It is just going to take some time for more faliures. These new ones are not going to sell like hot cakes like the first model when it came out. So it might take a little longer to work out the bugs.
Just run her and enjoy Her. Shure beats the hell out of a pasta machine.

Freeotatv

Okay..very helpful...i will probably get my head around the machine better when i first open her up which will probably be closer to six months from now after your comments unless an issue arises sooner.

Ive been using it for half hr and then shutdown for a half day and then use for 1/2 hr.

based on another member recomendation i do a forward runa dn reverse run to clean the teeth both before usage and after usage. Ive been keeping a week interval etweem usage to help let the teeth dry out between usages so the starting run should be able to chew out residue and clean teeth by keeping the buildup low.

ill keep updates posted on this method as i know i was very concerned about longevity of the shredder before buying as most members probably are that are on the fence of purchasing it.

this thing is built solid...it is heavier then my mailmate mini cross cut shredder and the mailmate is going on it 7th year

Knucklehead

Founding Member
One thing I do to help longevity is to derib the leaf as I shred. Derib a leaf, put it into the shredder. While it shreds, start your next derib. Not only is it just as fast or faster as deribbing all the leaf first, it prevents the tendency to shove a lot of leaf into the machine as fast as the machine can take it. Deribbing as you shred gives the shredder time to shut off between leaves, and prevents overheating of the machine. It never bogs down this way so it's easier on the motor and gears.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Not to say anyting against the power shreader, But after all the work You Guys do, to take them apart to fix, grease, and make them work--( Do You work for them to make the thing work?) makes Me like My pasta cutter and Don's latest--- EASY SHREADER even more?.. I have a drill motor and hose that keeps working. ??? Don , I'm In Buddy...Sorry Guys Mad-

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Not to say anyting against the power shreader, But after all the work You Guys do, to take them apart to fix, grease, and make them work--( Do You work for them to make the thing work?) makes Me like My pasta cutter and Don's latest--- EASY SHREADER even more?.. I have a drill motor and hose that keeps working. ??? Don , I'm In Buddy...Sorry Guys Mad-

I've had mine two years and only took the side plate off one time to check the bolt tightness. Two were loose, so I put some blue loctite on them and have had no other issues. But, I baby my machine. I shred about a pound at a time.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Spray dry silicon on the wheels befor You start, and use food grade. It will stop the clogs and sticks.- See, I told You I wasn't opossed. LOL If it works with out the strain, do it. Mad-

Brown Thumb

Clean your shredder with Beer not water. Laugh all you want but I was using water this yr. and had all kinds of problems with locked up the next day, locking up while shredding. Went back to a swig down her throat and problem solved followed up by some stems. Put a paper towel under her. This shredder is old nelly, one of the first ones to go on the market. The new model sits on the floor until they come out with new bearings and a way to stop the Pipe Flake from coming out of her. I would not recommend the new model Until they fix the problems with it. Trust Me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.