Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sharpening Rototiller Blades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It depends on the soil. The goal is to break the entire bed. Really dry soil will break further out from the ripper...wet soil will just slice. If you're running a single tooth, you'll probably have to make a pass two feet apart or so.

alhungie

My tiller tines tend to sharpen themselves and wear away. I need to build them up with weld to prolong their life.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My tiller tines tend to sharpen themselves and wear away. I need to build them up with weld to prolong their life.

You're right. In my first post I had forgotten all about the fact that I bust the ground up first before even using the tiller. It should also prolong tiller life. The tiller doesn't bounce around and vibrate so much when tilling loose soil. Picking up rocks after the initial breaking of the ground helps save the tiller blades also.

rustycase

As the tines wear the OD decreases and the tip of the tine shape changes so that it will not till as well.

Problem is, the are not inexpensive.

I'm looking for a shade-tree fix, myself...

Good luck
rc

rustycase

Wow, Don !

JD 8430, 200-300hp... 4x4 They can be bought for under $200k.

You guys are WAY out of my class!

I'm wishing and hopin' I can find some way to spring for a $5k old used kubota with a few attachments!

rc

Status
Not open for further replies.