Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Holy crap I just got a house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Finally worked out the fine details, I'll be buying the family farm house and eventually the rest of the farm at the end of this month. Comes with a garage, chicken coop and granary, 1800 square foot house, built by my great great grandfather. About 2.2 acres of which some will be tobacco ;). The coop comes with chickens too! I'll post pictures when we move in!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hey, that's great Jeremy. Congratulations and best wishes for you and your family.

rustycase

Congrats!
Now you've got a full time project of your very own!
Gonna be needing a picket fence, some rose bushes, and a porch swing!
:)
rc

Desertpipe

It is great to see the Farm staying in the family, and the history continuing. It seems like that does not happen often, these days,
Congratulations.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Good to see it staying in the family.

As Desert says, doesn't happen too often.

There might be a reason for that. There's a story here about an annapolis valley farmer who won the multi-million lottery. TV of course interviewed him; lady reporter asked him what he planned to do with his winnings.

His reply - "Guess I'll just keep on farming til it's all gone!"

webmost

Yep. Good job. Climb up high on the granary and shoot us a pic of the whole farm.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Congratulations!.. Glad you are "buying the farm" instead of "bought the farm"
As for chickens... chicken tractors are the only way to go.
You're going to like that 2 acres.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Congratulations!.. Glad you are "buying the farm" instead of "bought the farm"
As for chickens... chicken tractors are the only way to go.
You're going to like that 2 acres.

Ok, I'll bite again. What is a chicken tractor? The one Chicken drives on the road?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Thanks Everyone!

Great news.

The best book I've seen for Chickens is: http://www.storey.com/book_detail.php?isbn=9781603424691&cat=Animals&subcat=Livestock&p=
They sell them at Tractor Supply and Amazon.

Bob

I'll have to check it out Bob, I grew up raising chickens so most of it is second nature, though I'm sure I've lost a bit the magical touch since I moved out! The wife also suggested we get turkeys (probably my favorite pet next to dogs)

Good to see it staying in the family.

As Desert says, doesn't happen too often.

There might be a reason for that. There's a story here about an annapolis valley farmer who won the multi-million lottery. TV of course interviewed him; lady reporter asked him what he planned to do with his winnings.

His reply - "Guess I'll just keep on farming til it's all gone!"

Ain't that the truth, farming isn't about the money, it's about the ability to bitch about not having money.

Congrats!
Now you've got a full time project of your very own!
Gonna be needing a picket fence, some rose bushes, and a porch swing!
:)
rc

Ehh, split rail is more our style, rose bushes are too much upkeep taken away from the tobacco! As for the porch swing, hell yes. I like me a porch swing and some rocking chairs.

POGreen

Gonna use that manure from them chickens in yer backergrow Jeremy ?
That porchswing and rocking chars is just like in the good 'ole days......:D

ArizonaDave

I'll have to check it out Bob, I grew up raising chickens so most of it is second nature, though I'm sure I've lost a bit the magical touch since I moved out! The wife also suggested we get turkeys (probably my favorite pet next to dogs)

Turkeys are cool once they're raised, but when they're tiny, you really have to watch them closely.

I gotta tell y'all something funny. I bought some Nigerian dwarfs, a small variety of goats. I built them their own shed. Later on, I was in town and talking to some of the local authorities, and I couldn't remember the name of the goats. I knew they were from somewhere in Africa, and they were little. Anyway they were talking about different animals in the area, and I blurted out "I just bought some African Pigmies".........it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. You should have seen their faces! I said "and I built them their own shed". That of course, didn't make it any better!
Nevertheless, I wasn't arrested, and they all had a great laugh (at my embarrassment and expense). Couldn't live that one down!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Ok, I'll bite again. What is a chicken tractor? The one Chicken drives on the road?

It is a portable chicken pen on wheels. You move it everyday so they get fresh grass and bugs and they don't live in their own squalor. The other benefit is every time you move them they leave behind a nice amount of chicken manure so they fertilize your garden/lawn everyday. The next year they will be eating nutrient rich grass due to it being manured the year before.

Status
Not open for further replies.