Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nice Bass from my pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My cousin from Michigan came down for a few days and we went fishing in my pond today behind the tobacco patch. He skunked me with the one fish, but it was a nice one, it fought like crazy, took a long time to bring him in, peeling line off the drag, jumping out of the water, etc, Spectacular to watch. He had a blast.

DGBAMA, I'm telling you, man, you need to come fishing over here.

Jason and Bass.jpg

Note that he's not holding it way out toward the camera. We didn't weigh it but I'm guessing it at 6 lbs. (he swears it's 12 lbs) The deceptive part is how thick and deep the fish is for it's length. I have way too many bream, the bass just swim around with their mouth open for food.

rustycase

That is a stout lookin bass!

...most folks just hold up a newspaper headline to pin the date... lol
rc

DGBAMA

Nice. Yes, I need to come visit. Not enough time in a day. Hopefully once most of harvest is in.

ArizonaDave

My cousin from Michigan came down for a few days and we went fishing in my pond today behind the tobacco patch. He skunked me with the one fish, but it was a nice one, it fought like crazy, took a long time to bring him in, peeling line off the drag, jumping out of the water, etc, Spectacular to watch. He had a blast.
We didn't weigh it but I'm guessing it at 6 lbs. (he swears it's 12 lbs) The deceptive part is how thick and deep the fish is for it's length. I have way too many bream, the bass just swim around with their mouth open for food.

That's one stout Bass! He could be 6 lbs. but could weigh maybe 7 with all that thickness! 12? Naw, but let him tell his fish tale, lol.

It's been a little while since I've been fishing, I miss it!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's one stout Bass! He could be 6 lbs. but could weigh maybe 7 with all that thickness! 12? Naw, but let him tell his fish tale, lol.

It's been a little while since I've been fishing, I miss it!

You could be right, I never hefted the fish myself, but he sure looked big and healthy.

Brown Thumb

I wish I could fish in my back yard. All we catch is turtles in the dam 1/4 mile away.
Nice bass there. I hope it tasted as good as it looks.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I wish I could fish in my back yard. All we catch is turtles in the dam 1/4 mile away.
Nice bass there. I hope it tasted as good as it looks.

He threw it back. There's some bigger ones. The one I caught and photographed, just the picture itself weighed seven pounds. lol

DGBAMA

He threw it back. There's some bigger ones. The one I caught and photographed, just the picture itself weighed seven pounds. lol

And I enjoy long distance deer hunting. On the long shots I have to use salt filled bullets; preserves the meat at impact so that it does not spoil while I hike the huge distances to retrieve my kill. :rolleyes:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
What what were you two using for bait? I've caught many a bass with my favorite Mepps #3.. do they even make that anymore? I used to have to hide behind a tree to put my lure on otherwise the fish would jump right out of the water and onto my lure

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What what were you two using for bait? I've caught many a bass with my favorite Mepps #3.. do they even make that anymore? I used to have to hide behind a tree to put my lure on otherwise the fish would jump right out of the water and onto my lure

He was using a worm with copper specks in it. I was using a Silver Minnow spoon with a worm tail trailer. I still have some Mepps spinners. I haven't bought lures in years. I don't even want to know what one costs now, they were getting ridiculously expensive years ago.

DGBAMA

Mepps and Panther Martin spinners are my all time favorites, especially for fishing unknown waters. Are they the be-all-end-all of fishing lures, or the absolute best for every situation? Definitely not. Will they catch the most or biggest fish every time out? NO. But they ARE consistent producers, doesn't matter what kind of fish or the color or temperature of the water. Have even caught a catfish or three with em.

BarG

Founding Member
You cant beat that grin. Heh heh Thats one of mine. I bought her a new ugly stick for christmas and shes been kicking my ass ever since. We let that fish go and it splashed our face. It realy did.

Attachments

• 100_2496.jpg
    100_2496.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Desertpipe

It does not get better then seeing kids still gettin' the life we had back in the day......great shot.

Brown Thumb

Its Great to see Kids Enjoying the finer things in life.
A lot Better than seeing them like Vegtables on the couch playing with there IPod.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Great photo Brazos. Like you say, you can't beat that grin. She looks happy right down to those Texas boots!

BarG

Founding Member
You got to teach em to love it. Mine do. Grab a 3 lbder by the lips. You can let em go an catch em again . That was a florida bass makin a come back in a Texas pond.

Ben Brand

Yes, you are right, cant beat that smile.
I see the SA goverment want to ban all the trowing back of bass in our country. They can actualy give you a hefty fine if you don`t kill the bass. Its aparently eating all the indigenous species.
Ben

BarG

Founding Member
I understand with invasive species, Bass aint one.Never has been.Snakeheads for instance are an introduced invasive fish. flying carp are invasive. Our pond is making a comeback for some florida bass, I stock regularly with blue and channel cats but poachers are just as diligent.

Ben Brand

BarG, I hear what you say, but according to the gov the bass are an invasive species. I love catching bass, and I only catch and release. I think the gov will do better catching the people who catches the tiny indigenous species by the thousands with nets ect for food.
Iv`e got a friend who wanted to start a fish farm for indigenous bream and wanted some help from the gov, but no go, they were not interested in helping him. Reason, he was not from the right ethnic group?? Sorry no politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.