Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco
Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that the Mayans were warning about a deluge of off-topic posts within personal grow logs. How could they know, so long ago?

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
I read an understand almost everything in this log. I enjoy it and I'm glad that you point me at this site. Thank you Bob. Finally somebody perfectionist in growing who knows about photography. Btw great documented.
Also some good comments from friends. I wish you all great season, lots of sun and respect from worms.

Maks

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Maks,
Thank you, and welcome to the forum. If you put your location into your profile (click "My Profile" in the upper right), then all members can see where you are located, and can better answer your questions.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I read an understand almost everything in this log. I enjoy it and I'm glad that you point me at this site. Thank you Bob. Finally somebody perfectionist in growing who knows about photography. Btw great documented.
Also some good comments from friends. I wish you all great season, lots of sun and respect from worms.

Maks

it's good to see someone benifit from reading a grow journal.

you sure picked the right one to follow also,

d-stogie, is very precise in the way he explains his techniques,

rainmax

Founding Member
I'm learning how to write grow log. I'm also on Slovenian gardening forum. But there is hard to find knowledge of tobacco growing. BTW great forum here and good guys around cangrats.

Aaron

This season, I began with two germination mixes: Miracle Gro Peat mixed with Perlite and Vermiculite, and Burpee's Organic coir-based Germination Mix. Coir is coconut husk that is finely shredded. There are two things that I particularly like about the coir mix. First, it dramatically changes color between the dark, wet state and the light, red brown dry state, making it simple to determine if it needs more water. Secondly, the coir mix is the best by far at dispersing the available water.

Bob

Bob, I was wondering if this was an equal parts mix? I'm also wondering if you think it may be beneficial to add a small amount of coir to the mix? Thanks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Aaron,
I mixed batches of starting soil in a 5 gallon bucket, using eyeball calibration. I believe that it was about 2/3 peat, 1/6 Pearlite and 1/6 Vermiculite. If you need for the tobacco seed radicle to be easily visible as soon as it germinates (in a germination bed), then leave out the white Pearlite and use 1/3 Vermiculite.

All the coir products come with good wishes for a healthy environment, but the ones I tried were not particularly good at growing seedlings. In other applications, where the prime goal is to improve soil texture and water retention, I suppose it would work fine. Since it does not provide the increased acidity of natural peat, it's not useful for acid-loving plants, such as blueberries and azaleas.

Bob

Aaron

Thanks Bob, I had been thinking about adding maybe 10% coir for an easy moisture indicator. I guess it's really an unnecessary expense. That and I won't be able to keep myself from checking them every chance I get anyways.

Gmac

Kinda like the "Foo" bird. And here I thought cows were bad. At least they don't fly.

Seriously for a moment, I thought birds couldn't defecate while in flight but had to be perched. Not true??

John
Yeah, I standing in the yard one day and one flew over and dumped right in the top of my bald head, talk about a sickening smell. Luckey, I'm a hair cutter and was within 100 feet of the wash bowl! OOOH

Gmac

Bex

Yeah, I standing in the yard one day and one flew over and dumped right in the top of my bald head, talk about a sickening smell. Luckey, I'm a hair cutter and was within 100 feet of the wash bowl! OOOH

Gmac

It's supposed to be good luck. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.