Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Powermatic Shredder Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenduck

Hi folks. My Powermatic shredder, a loyal and great machine, has an erratic switch (sometimes it just does not turn on) and the reverse button no longer works. Has anyone had this trouble? More importantly, can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks.

DGBAMA

First check the optic sensor, have to remove the plastic cover on the side where the gears are. A bit of grease on the sensor will make it inoperable.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
While the cover is off, make sure all the screws holding the gears on are tight. The early models had problems with those screws working loose. A dab of blue Loktight will keep them tight if they are loose. Check connections to the switch for a loose connection.

zenduck

Thank both of you for your advice. I took the plastic part off and looked for the optical sensor, but I could not tell. I did blow out and cleaned inside, but it is still FUBAR.

It seems like the switch itself is kinda difficult to mechanically operate (it is difficult to put it in position marked II). If I kinda jiggle it, the position (I) works and the fan goes on, but any kind of movement of the switch the whole things dies. Do these switches go bad? If so, how does one replace it?

DGBAMA

Good reviews on the customer service from Powermatic. A phone call to them directly should get you a new switch pronto.

zenduck

I tried googling Powermatic manufacturer but only find the big tool company. Does anyone know powermatic website or even a phone number, so that I can contact them for parts?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I tried googling Powermatic manufacturer but only find the big tool company. Does anyone know powermatic website or even a phone number, so that I can contact them for parts?

There's your problem Zenduck. You googled it instead of searching the FTT site....

Powermatic phone number is 909-468-5999

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.