Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Attempt to make Perique

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I tried to make Perique this year but it turned into a "tobacco pickle". I was expecting a higher pH but instead I got lactic acid fermentation of the tobacco leaves so pH is lower, acidic. Probably because of oxygen dificiency. I guess Perique process is not totally anaerobic, needs some oxygen. Some "pickled" leaves are dried and I'm not very inclined to try them. Any ideas ?

I have the post above in another thread about Perique but I think a new thread is better to discuss it.

New to making Perique so I need some help about it.

Approx. one and a half month ago I primed my first leaves and they color cured poorly, not totally green but not very good. So I decided to try to make Perique with them. A mix of Orientals, more than 10 varieties. They were pressed in a glass jar and had half day direct sunlight. I couldn't air them out well and yesterday I take the leaves out. The smell was absolutely pickle like, very pungent. Smells like a mix of acetic and lactic acid. The color of the leaves were dark brown, not black. I dried out small amount of leaves and now they smell like chicken manure which I can't associate with regular Perique smell. I smoked small amount of it, very smooth and refreshing but burns poorly. Very low amount of nicotine, probably because of the Oriental leaves.

Now, rest of the leaves are aired out but still in high case. They got darker, almost black, and smell is more sweet, a little fruity and less acrid but still have a touch of chicken manure smell. I packed them again as a carrot with a rope.

Now, the questions;

- How do you determine that your Perique is ready ? Is it all about the time or just smell ? Is the heavy "pickle smell" (while it's wet) means the Perique is ready or should it smell different ?

- 1.5 months may not be enough for making Perique but may higher temps. cause quicker process ? (the jar was under direct sunlight for half day)

- The leaves got darker and smell got better when they had fresh air (oxygen), may be oxidation. I think Perique process is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic process. Do you think Perique process is totally anaerobic ?

- I'm planning to continue the Perique process with the carrot form. For drying it out slowly. What do you think ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Istanbulin,
My impression is that the process is anaerobic, so long as the pressing tobacco is submerged in its liquid. But there is no question in my mind that the periodic unpacking and airing of Perique during the 3 months under pressure aids dramatically in darkening it. That latter process is certainly aerobic, since at least the nicotine is oxidizing.

Each Perique (from different leaf or from a different maker) has its own, unique smell. Mine seemed fruity, like prunes or botrytis grapes, but still with a manure undertone. St. James Parish Perique, which shows a less fruity aroma, also has a manure undertone. BigBonner's overheated barrel of Perique had a strong manure aroma that tended to dissipate with time and drying. An interesting finding during Jitterbugdude's Perique comparison smokeoff was that all of the samples were good. Each was different; each differed in alkalinity, aroma, strength and taste.

I think you're on the right track. And I think it really does require longer than 6 weeks under pressure to complete the fermentation.

Your Perique may be the only Perique ever manufactured in Anatolia since the beginning of time.

Bob

oldbear

The ideal perique should smell fruity, like fig preserves. A slight rank or "buggy" odor is common. The pH should be high; one of the reasons for all tobacco fermentation is to produce or release ammonia. Higher pH (more ammonia) increases that amount of available nicotine. Too cold or too warm and the process may not work. Excessive heat can cause excessive anaerobic fermentation and souring. You really wouldn't want to smoke something that smells like it should be much better quickly flushed.

Oldbear

istanbulin

Founding Member
Thank you both for the inputs.

I didn't get any ammonia smell from the Perique batch. Dominant smell was acidic but there may be some ammonia in it. Because of the acidic smell - I didn't use a pH indicator or meter so I'm not sure about the true pH - I started to think that the (or my) Perique process is mainly acidogenic fermentation which can produce several types of organic acids (lactic, acetic, butyric etc.). Perique process started to look like making silage to me.

I'll keep the "carrot" for another 5-6 weeks or until it dries out.

oldbear

I believe the idea is to lightly moisten the leaves, then press them under anaerobic conditions so that the moisture is 100% to encourage anaerobic fermentation. I have never seen bubbles from my small batches but other claim to see lots of gas coming out. Some add water over the press to keep it moist. When my jars dried and the pressure dropped I lost the anaerobic conditions and got a jar of mold, so be sure to check for good pressure and a good seal.

I tried batches with a "culture" from the Louisiana facility and there was very little difference between inoculated and non-inoculated batches, so probably the natural spores on your tobacco are adequate.

Oldbear

istanbulin

Founding Member
After 3 months of curing I dried out the "Perique" batch and stored it in proper case for a week. "Bloom" like crystals, I don't think it's mold, were formed on the leaves especially the parts which have direct contact to available air in the zipper bag. I think "blooming" should take more time but Perique process may cause similar formations. Did any Perique makers come up with similar results ?

As a quick review, it still smells a little acidic but sweet and aromatic, manure smell is totally gone. I made a pipe blend using that. It really removed the tongue bite of my brightleaf and didn't add extra nicotine. Lower nicotine is the advantage of making Perique out of Orientals.

uz.jpg

yak.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've only made 4 batches and never had bloom. Glad yours came out tasting good. I tried to make a small batch of Turique Perique ( Perique made from Turkish tobacco) last year but it dried out due to my lack of attention so I threw it away.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations on your Perique, istanbulin. I suppose that's the first Perique ever manufactured in Turkey. Small world.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
Thanks. Although I'm still not sure what are those white things (bloom or something different) it smokes well. This is the first blend with the Perique. It has Amarellinha as brightleaf, Şemdinli (similar to Bitlis but more fragrant, reddish ones in the image below) as Oriental and of course Perique.

bl.jpg

Last edited:

POGreen

No , not any more now istanbulin , its surley 30 years ago since I smoked pipe.
Even had a Sherlock Holmes type of pipe when I was in my heydays and I just loved those Borkum Riff tobaccos.
Dad smoked pipe so the apple don't fall far from the tree :rolleyes: sort of saying , I would have been more than happy to be a volonteer and tried your Perique in a blend , but I'm sorry I've quit for good. :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have had the delightful pleasure of sampling istanbulin's Oriental Perique. The color is a dull, medium brown. It's pouch aroma is slightly fruity and mildly earthy. There is a visible 'bloom', which I believe to be harmless yeast growth (similar to what I see on the outer surface of my own refrigerator-stored Perique that is stored wet), although it may indeed be just salt crystallization.

Garden20141107_1621_TripOrient_pipeBlend_600.jpg

Triple Orient Pipe Blend
(each component is home-grown and home-finished)
  • VA Bright Leaf 2014 (flue-cured): 22.5%
  • Cyprus Oriental mw 2014 (flue-cured): 22.5%
  • Blue Ridge Latakia (made from Cyprus Latakia mw 2014): 30%
  • Oriental blend Perique (made by istanbulin): 25%
I originally made this blend without the Perique (30%:30%:40%), and enjoyed the flavor and aroma, but was unhappy with the tongue bite. The Blue Ridge Latakia also carried something of an edge in its cedar taste. Adding istanbulin's Oriental Perique worked its magic, by eliminating the tongue bite completely. The Perique also seems to balance the other flavors. And a bit of its fruitiness comes through. The total nicotine load is low-to-medium for the blend, despite the alkalinity of the Perique. The overall room note is soft and "woodsy", like a well ventilated hearth. The farther down the bowl I smoked this blend (in a custom poker from Knucklehead), the more I liked it. It starts off gently, then builds to a very smooth crescendo in the tall bowl.

This Oriental Perique introduces a new set of possibilities for Perique making. While I already knew that different leaf produced differences in the final Perique, this Perique truly reflects its Turkish heritage--milder, more floral, less intense.

So, a special thank you to:
  • istanbulin, for the Oriental blend Perique (and the innovation of making Perique in Turkey, from Turkish tobaccos)
  • markw, for the two seed varieties from Cyprus
  • Knucklehead, for the perfect pipe for smoking Triple Orient.
Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Thanks PO. Actually I need some voluteers to test the Perique do you smoke pipe ?

istanbulin, Can I test some of your perique? I am not a pipe smoker per say but have a couple of Excellent pipes made by members. I am just waiting for the right blend to break them in. I never buy blends and haven't yet tried my own seriously.

DGBAMA

I have had the delightful pleasure of sampling istanbulin's Oriental Perique. The color is a dull, medium brown. It's pouch aroma is slightly fruity and mildly earthy. There is a visible 'bloom', which I believe to be harmless yeast growth (similar to what I see on the outer surface of my own refrigerator-stored Perique that is stored wet), although it may indeed be just salt crystallization.

Garden20141107_1621_TripOrient_pipeBlend_600.jpg

Triple Orient Pipe Blend
(each component is home-grown and home-finished)
  • VA Bright Leaf 2014 (flue-cured): 22.5%
  • Cyprus Oriental mw 2014 (flue-cured): 22.5%
  • Blue Ridge Latakia (made from Cyprus Latakia mw 2014): 30%
  • Oriental blend Perique (made by istanbulin): 25%
I originally made this blend without the Perique (30%:30%:40%), and enjoyed the flavor and aroma, but was unhappy with the tongue bite. The Blue Ridge Latakia also carried something of an edge in its cedar taste. Adding istanbulin's Oriental Perique worked its magic, by eliminating the tongue bite completely. The Perique also seems to balance the other flavors. And a bit of its fruitiness comes through. The total nicotine load is low-to-medium for the blend, despite the alkalinity of the Perique. The overall room note is soft and "woodsy", like a well ventilated hearth. The farther down the bowl I smoked this blend (in a custom poker from Knucklehead), the more I liked it. It starts off gently, then builds to a very smooth crescendo in the tall bowl.

This Oriental Perique introduces a new set of possibilities for Perique making. While I already knew that different leaf produced differences in the final Perique, this Perique truly reflects its Turkish heritage--milder, more floral, less intense.

So, a special thank you to:
  • istanbulin, for the Oriental blend Perique (and the innovation of making Perique in Turkey, from Turkish tobaccos)
  • markw, for the two seed varieties from Cyprus
  • Knucklehead, for the perfect pipe for smoking Triple Orient.
Bob

I love your descriptions. Your ability to " verbalize " is second to none.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
This weekend I hope to try out and report on the sample Istanbulin sent me. I also have to try out the Blue Ridge Latakia as well as some of the new varieties I grew this year. So much tobacco- so little time!
I need to retire so I can spend the rest of my days "chillin" and smoking my pipe.

istanbulin

Founding Member
You're welcome and thanks, Bob. Your review is really outstanding so that it made me think if it was the Perique I made or not.

BarG, PM sent.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This weekend I hope to try out and report on the sample Istanbulin sent me. I also have to try out the Blue Ridge Latakia as well as some of the new varieties I grew this year.
I believe that you (JBD) are the only other person on planet Earth who can use the recipe for Triple Oriental today. My sole batch of Blue Ridge Latakia was timidly tiny--just a proof of concept.

Now that istanbulin has planted the concept of Oriental Perique, some new and interesting horizons open. Anybody can make Blue Ridge Latakia, and now anybody can make Oriental Perique. What fun.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Actually I tried making "(edit to protect copyrights) Perique" last year but it molded on me. First time for mold while making Perique for me. Actually it was my fault. I gave it the Ron Popiel treatment. I set .. and I forgot it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.