Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nailed down my blend (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY Pete

So after a little trial and error I think I nailed down my first cigar blend. This is for a 5x50 robusto.

Wrapper: Crillo '98
Binder: Dominican (double binder / 1 full leaf)
Filler: 1/2 Aleman Ligero
1 Brazilian Mata Fina
1/2 Flojo viso
2 Piloto Cubano Seco

I need to roll and smoke a few more to be sure but this appears to be the correct amount of tobacco to result in a properly filled robusto. The draw is firm but not tight. The only thing worse than a loose cigar is a tent peg. For me the strength is spot on with good flavors. I am not good a describing flavors but I know when I get a good cigar and that's all that matters. The first couple have gotten a bit harsh in the last third but I attribute that to the fact that they are fresh rolls and/or me smoking them a bit fast, have to finish up before the skeeters come out and bleed me dry.

I really want to thank Don for the great forum and tobacco. Also a thank you goes to the membership here. It would have taken far longer to get to a good result without all the knowledge in this place.

With any luck I will be able to plant a small patch next year. If nothing else I will plant a couple ornamental varieties.

Pete

DIY Pete

Sounds like a tasty smoke. You have skeeters immune to cigar smoke?

Last year in Iowa we had drought this year we have skeetrs. While not as bad as the monsters in Minnesota they are pretty thick. Anyone outside around dusk looks like they are having a slap fight with themselves.

That does sound tasty. Would you be up for a swap? I'll send you a PM.

Replied.

Gdaddy

That's right up my alley Pete. I love this blend!!

Tried it both ways and I prefer it without the Mata Fina and replaced it with more Flojo. I also play around using the Aleman seco as the binder.

I recently discovered the Criollo98 ligero. Perfect for this blend. Amazing stuff. Dark and delicious. Pure chocolate.

ArizonaDave

So after a little trial and error I think I nailed down my first cigar blend. This is for a 5x50 robusto.

Wrapper: Crillo '98
Binder: Dominican (double binder / 1 full leaf)
Filler: 1/2 Aleman Ligero
1 Brazilian Mata Fina
1/2 Flojo viso
2 Piloto Cubano Seco

I need to roll and smoke a few more to be sure but this appears to be the correct amount of tobacco to result in a properly filled robusto. The draw is firm but not tight. The only thing worse than a loose cigar is a tent peg. For me the strength is spot on with good flavors. I am not good a describing flavors but I know when I get a good cigar and that's all that matters. The first couple have gotten a bit harsh in the last third but I attribute that to the fact that they are fresh rolls and/or me smoking them a bit fast, have to finish up before the skeeters come out and bleed me dry.

I really want to thank Don for the great forum and tobacco. Also a thank you goes to the membership here. It would have taken far longer to get to a good result without all the knowledge in this place.

With any luck I will be able to plant a small patch next year. If nothing else I will plant a couple ornamental varieties.

Pete

Yes, that's very close to a blend I've enjoyed in the past. If you take down the Braz. Mata Fina down to a ¼ leaf and increase the Aleman Liguero OR the Flojo Viso, you'll maybe enjoy it a little more?
Just depends on what flavor you're craving!

DIY Pete

Give the comments above, the next time I roll (hopefully tonight) I will make a couple of sticks with a little less Mata Fina and a little more Ligero. Should be fun to smoke both blends side by side and compare.

Pete

Smokin Harley

Pete, what part of Iowa are you ? I'm a new FTT member and am wanting to grow my first crop (actual first crop was 20 years ago).Your blend sounds amazingly like I would like to try .I'm hoping/guessing that your growing climate is probably equal to mine here not too far south of Chicago. We did have a terrible season, too much rain at times, three floods either wiped out crops or set them back terribly. I hate to just walk in and beg right away but can I ask you for some seed samples if you have enough? I have a little room . My veg garden plot is 28x28 and I will probably till up another 10 ft making the whole plot 38 x 28 .The back yard is almost 150 ft wide ,but when the tiller is fired up theres no telling where I'll stop. Like my wife tells me , the more garden I make , the less grass we need to cut. I like my cigars and growing my own would just be great. Thank you

DIY Pete

Pete, what part of Iowa are you ? I'm a new FTT member and am wanting to grow my first crop (actual first crop was 20 years ago).Your blend sounds amazingly like I would like to try .I'm hoping/guessing that your growing climate is probably equal to mine here not too far south of Chicago. We did have a terrible season, too much rain at times, three floods either wiped out crops or set them back terribly. I hate to just walk in and beg right away but can I ask you for some seed samples if you have enough? I have a little room . My veg garden plot is 28x28 and I will probably till up another 10 ft making the whole plot 38 x 28 .The back yard is almost 150 ft wide ,but when the tiller is fired up theres no telling where I'll stop. Like my wife tells me , the more garden I make , the less grass we need to cut. I like my cigars and growing my own would just be great. Thank you

Harley,
I am a ways east of Des Moines. As of now I am just rolling my own with leaf I purchased from Whole leaf tobacco. I live in town and have no room at all for a garden but we are looking at down sizing the house and up sizing the land this winter so I will start my first grow next year if all goes as planned. Sorry I can't be more help.

Pete

webmost

I'm gonna spark up one of your swap sticks tonight as well. Got to pick up a mini-fridhe someone is giving away, already have some Coors to put in it, then I also have some MMA cage fighting on DVR, get in the garage, fights on the toob, beer in hand, roll three more for CTbaccy, haruff ruff ruff --- man time.

Smokin Harley

Thats fine , I understand but sounds like we are on the same latitude or close anyway. I'll be watching for your posts to see how things go. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.