Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco Selection guidance request:

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewZephyr

Just started rolling. I have 4 sticks under my belt using the Sabroso Medio from WLT.
I do like the smoke, and of course will roll more, but want to pick up a few more tobacco types to give more options and maybe fulfill desired profiles.

Over the time I have been smoking I have taken notes and have noticed that I often gravitate to the Nicaraguan type tobacco.
My top 3 favorites are the below in order of preference.
Curivari Reserva Limitada Cafe Noir
Tatuaje Havana VI
Liga Undercrown

I would like to get a blend that emulates or at least gives a nod of respect to them.
That Dark, Chocolate, coco, earthy flavors

Looking at WLT and reading the description on a few of the options I was thinking of purchasing the below tobacco.
Nicaragua Habano Viso - earthy, woody flavor with notes of chocolate and pepper.
Nicaragua Habano Seco - earthy, woody flavor with notes of chocolate and pepper.
Aleman Seco Banda - "Spectacular", "Dark, moody, aromatic, rich, and smooth"

I was looking at using the Aleman as both binder / wrapper.

I had thought of trying:
Ecuador Maduro Wrapper - oily rich, earthy and semi-sweet wrapper
But for my budget I figure give the Aleman a run since it seems to have a good following here.

So, I do understand the flavor will change depending on the parts.
I would like to know some of your impressions on the particular tobacco I am looking at.
Did you get similar impressions from them as the description at WLT?
Would you have another recommendation that you feel would be better served?

Also a side question. Seco / Viso / Ligero are listed in order of strength. i.e. viso is milder than Ligero and stronger than Seco.
This term Strength, I assume is specifically in reference to Nicotine? or is it a boldness of flavor?
If that is the case, I love lots of flavor, but not really looking for a Nicotine kick (little doesn't bother me, but I don't want to turn green).

Thanks for your time and insight.

ArizonaDave

If you look up in the search box, there was a long thread about blends.

The Habano Seco is a wonderful woody, medium smoke, all by itself, it's one of my staples.
The Habano Viso is a good one to have on board.
The Piloto Cubano Seco is something I always have on hand, it's a thin leaf, great for combustion, and can smooth out harsher notes of stronger tobaccos. I use a double binder of this to ensure an even burning cigar, or even under a binder.

The Aleman Seco banda is a milk chocolate wrapper that I personally love, but with all stalk type cured tobacco, it has to be hydrated properly first, and takes extra work, but well worth it once you get the hang of it. It will not come easy at first.

webmost

Your Curivari, I have not had. According to reviews, it brings pepper and coffee
Your Tat I have had. It brings pepper and earth
Your Undercrown I've smoked as well. It brings that San Andres zing, pepper, and coffee

If these three are your faves, then don't bypass the Ecuador Maduro. Your habano viso and seco won't do that for you. Your Aleman is too smooth.

I'm not much of a pepper and coffee fan, myself; thus none of the sticks you mention would be my faves. So I may not be the guy to advise you best.

Snap us some pics of your first rolls. There's a thread her "pics of your sticks" where you can post them up. We love pics. Don't worry; we are mostly all fumblefingers ourselves.

Gdaddy

Take a read of this I had posted earlier...

If you like it all, as I do also, you might consider getting an assortment of tobacco. Learning the mechanical side of rolling cigars is fairly easy imo the real challenge is coming up with your own recipes and blending them properly. This takes some experimentation.

I think many make a mistake of trying to make the cigar more flavorful by adding more flavorful tobacco. Seems to make sense but think about a chef making a recipe in the kitchen. If the same were true if you add more spices the food should taste better. We know it can become over seasoned and ruin the dish. The same applies true in a cigar.

A balance of three components should be present. Volado (little flavor but good burning qualities) Seco (flavor and aroma) and Ligero (for strength and flavor). A balance of mild with strong. A yin/yang. If you use all strong flavors(spices) they will be fighting with each other for the lead.

Here's my basic guide line without going through the whole list... Nicarauguan seco and ligero are the strongest.(like a powerful spice in the kitchen. A little goes a long way) Dominican is a step down and more mild mannered. The Piloto seco is mild as well and has a wonderful flavor profile. It's also a thin easy burning leaf (Volado-ish) a great choice.

So, to make a blend using this information in a practical sense you could use the following guide... ( there are other tobaccos listed but just as a guideline)

Mild... Piloto seco or Dominican seco or Flojo (thicker leaf not Volado-ish but great subtle accent flavor) or Criollo98 seco or Aleman seco
Medium... Nicaraguan seco being the strongest of the seco breed. Piloto viso being the mildest viso and is also a great choice.
Stronger... Again Nicaraguan viso is top of it's group. Corojo seco and viso (strong spice) most all viso fits here.
Strongest... Nicarauguan Ligero (powerful) Dominican ligero, Aleman ligero, and my favorite...Criollo 98 ligero.

Using this list as a guide pick one from the mild list, one from the medium list and one from the strongest list.

For example now let's make a simple blend picking one from each category...

Binder... Aleman seco (mild well aged)

Piloto seco (mild and good burn)
Criollo viso (medium)
Nicaraguan ligero (strong)

Wrapper... Criollo 98 (mild good burning and let's the other flavors come through)

Make a cigar using 1/3 of each filler. If the cigars is too weak then increase the amount of viso and ligero. If it's too strong then reduce the amount of ligero and viso.

This is blending from three basic categories and can yield excellent results. The problem arises when you start throwing in tobaccos without considering it's power profile hoping to hit a home run and I've found that backing things down a bit and using more mild tobacco has allowed the subtle flavors to come through. I find the subtleties in the ligero to be the flavor key so I like milder seco and more ligero and look for a balance.

Before you just go out and buy tobacco willy nilly you might want to ask the guys on this board what they think of a certain tobacco and try to categorize your selection accordingly.

Hope this helps!!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
If you like the Nicaraguan you need to try just the seco and viso for a puro, I forgot what they mean at the moment but 2/3 lower to 1/3 upper is a great blend for a mediumish

Gdaddy

The most chocolate flavor I've gotten is from the Criollo98 ligero. Even use it as a dark delicious wrapper.

A simple blend of Piloto seco (mild) mixed with criollo ligero is a good starting point on which to build. Wrapped in an Aleman seco wrapper. Criollo wrapper is also very mild and enjoyable.

Chris A

PM me your address & I will send you Maduro, Aleman binder, & Nic Viso & Seco to roll one yourself & decide if that is your taste.

ArizonaDave

The most chocolate flavor I've gotten is from the Criollo98 ligero. Even use it as a dark delicious wrapper.

A simple blend of Piloto seco (mild) mixed with criollo ligero is a good starting point on which to build. Wrapped in an Aleman seco wrapper. Criollo wrapper is also very mild and enjoyable.

Yes, I second!

A shopping list like this, would look like:

Piloto Cubano Seco
Criollo 98' Liguero
Aleman Seco/Banda

Maybe a Piloto Viso (vanilla could help bring out chocolate?) OR Nic. Habano Seco. The Nic. Habano Seco is a good one, it can be smoked as a Puro, even as binder and wrapper. Some of the best looking leaves I've seen in the Seco category.

BarG

Founding Member
PM me your address & I will send you Maduro, Aleman binder, & Nic Viso & Seco to roll one yourself & decide if that is your taste.

Thats awfully considerate of you Chris. Maybe he'll take you up on it. What better way to turn someone or a new member on to a new smoke. Thats one of the things this site provides is the generosity and willingness to share samples for people to try.

BarG

Founding Member
Bar G-
I seem to remember you sending me seeds a couple years ago when I was the newest rookie. Pay it forward.
Chris

I have been a real recipient of other members sharing and generosity and try to pass it on. Keep it up chris, what comes around goes around Bud!

Smokin Harley

this is when you realize the caliber of generosity here. If you would please, when you go through the process of casing those leaves , would you mind writing it out exactly what you did , maybe post a few pics of your process. I'm growing my first crop next year and I'm sure the other new guys would appreciate it too. Thank you. Can't wait to see the sticks you roll with all that tobaccy goodness.

BarG

Founding Member
1 easy way is to get a squirt bottle of water and a plastic container or bag. Lightly mist the leaves you want and leave them in the container for a couple hours. This works for a few leaves or a few hands or a couple lbs. A little practice and you will know how light or heavy to mist, till then ere on the light mist or you will have to let them dry out. 1 way of many.

Status
Not open for further replies.