Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Long growing season....two crops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shundahai

Hullo folks,

New to forum, and new to tobacco growing, although I am an experienced gardener. I have some seed for this coming spring...a Rapi Nui rustica and Shirey tabaccum. I live in coastal N. California, and am blessed with quite a long growing season. Average is 250 frost free days, with 280 FF days not uncommon and I can be almost 100% certain of 220 FF days. Is it feasible with such a long season to grow two successive crops? I am somewhat space limited and would like to maximize my annual yield. Would I run in to issues with photoperiod with a second crop? If so, how would that affect my 'baccy? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Do it, absolutely. Do not do a sucker crop.

You might have to get creative curing your second crop, might not. That looks like a really long season.

DGBAMA

No problem with growing suckers, they can produce a good second crop, but will not be of equal size and quality to the original plant. However if you have the option, and growing time, starting a fresh set of plants will give better results.

Shundahai

Ahhhh....thanks. I was thinking that clones might have a slight leg up time wise over seed starts, but starting a second crop form seed is not a problem.

I can have my first crop in the ground by the first of April for sure. For both varieties I have, according to the description from the seed supplier, harvest in 55 to 65 days respectively...that would put me in an early/mid June harvest. Does that sound reasonable?

DGBAMA

Most tobacco is listed "days to maturity", not days to harvest. Days to maturity is from time planted out to half of plants showing flowers. A few weeks beyond this is a good estimated harvest.

DGBAMA

"Clones", picking the suckers then rooting and planting them is a waste of time, yes they grow but nothing useful. Tried it last year.

Successful sucker grows are done by stalk harvesting the main plant 8" or so above the ground. The stump will sprout suckers, and the strongest one is allowed to grow into a new plant, taking advantage of the existing root system.

Shundahai

Thanks for the clarification. Maturity doesn't equate with leaf ripeness. If I set out a second crop say mid July, I'm looking at flowering around mid Sept. By end of September the weather is noticeably cooler, though no risk of frost for at least 6 weeks or more. Will the baccy tolerate the cooler weather and come to ripeness?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yes it will, my only season is probably slightly worse than your second season.

Thinking cigars you might do your filler varieties first and wrapper varieties second. Might be the best of both worlds, just guessing though.

Shundahai

Hmmm....that's a thought. I would like to do at least some cigars. My rusticas will be grown primarily for ceremonial use, as it's the traditional type we used back in the day, traded from the Arikara and Pawnee and not commonly available these days. My tabaccum seed is Shirey...what might be a good wrapper variety?

Brown Thumb

Welcome to FTT. Why in the World would anyone want two grows in one year. One ain't enough?:confused:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's easy to produce two crops. The real question is the quality of what you end up with. Sucker crops are sometimes bountiful, but usually (not always) of lower quality than the primary crop. Of greater concern is the average weather during which a crop will be hanging in the "shed" for color-curing. If you bring in a beautiful crop, but it must hang in unfavorable conditions--too dry and hot, too cool and damp--then it may not come out the way you had hoped.

I would suggest, for a first grow, that you focus on a single crop, and use the experience to learn the ins and outs of growing, harvesting, curing and finishing. It will be fun and exasperating, but enlightening. You might also cruise the forum for recommendations for varieties that are best suited for your desired end product. The FAQ (link at the top of every page) lists numerous sources of inexpensive seed, in hundreds of varieties.

Bob

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I've done sucker crops with my first 2 grows (2012 and 2013) and have found that the earlier you plant in the spring the better off you are in being able to secure a good sucker crop. If you let multiple suckers grow after shearing the plant to the ground, you will have a lot of leaf but it is small and hard to cure. On a few plants last year, I tried pruning back all but the most promising sucker and let it grow into a main stalk and that produced leaf comparible to the first crop and they cured much easier.

Another thing to help cure the leaf easier was to let the leaf get so that it was yellow on the stalk. apart from eliminating the risk of curing green, letting it yellow on the plant seemed to speed up the curing proccess and make a better end product. It also allows time for any of your first harvest leaves to be finished curing and put away so you have room for the sucker crop.

Boboro

I had not planed to have a sucker crop this year but my 1st crop took a beatin so I will do one on my oldest plants. I let one sucker start growin a few weeks before cuttin the 1st. They are doin much better than the `1st. I have a wood heater in the curein shed to aid in curein in late fall.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Ask Rusty Case (RC) about Your area. He knows it well. And may be able to help You on the space grow. Mad- BT, Less plants and space means, More grows to get more leaf. Ha Ha!

Brown Thumb

That would make more sense. Just wanted to make shure you weren't suffering from OCD like a few others around here.:eek:

DGBAMA

That would make more sense. Just wanted to make shure you weren't suffering from OCD like a few others around here.:eek:
Yup. I started this year with a bigger growing area AND intentions of a double crop. At this point, harvesting the first crop, the last thing I would want is to be trying to keep up with another 500 plants.

rustycase

ok, my tnx to mad 4 the good word...

here's the inside story...

A baccy crop is a lot of work!
BT said, why do 2!

He's right. At the end of my season, I'm DUN. Toast! and then there's the curing process! and boxing up for aging!!!
Xsept, u say limited space... my 1st thought would be give plants to other people, then go harvest them.
2nd thought would be guerilla grow.

Don't bother cloning, unless for your own entertainment. (planting suckers)

I am south of you. Central Coast. You judge what environment differences may be...
Here, it's hot and dry, drought conditions. 2 litres per day per plant. More for squash.

IMO, grow what you have room for. Generous spacing, because this is hobby level growing.
Pop your suckers and buds for best leaf growth. Harvest by priming for best results.
After priming, let the suckers grow, and see what 2nd growth you may get as a bonus round.
It can be substantial... Yet it is generally smaller, and harder to color cure, because of it's size.
It may get frost damage while growing... that makes it junk. Compost. No saving it, so don't even try!
I even put up picks of frost damaged leaf... Gosh is it ugly!
Here, I must harvest all my leaf and get it indoors just before Thanksgiving.
Good luck to you,
rc

Status
Not open for further replies.