Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How do you flavour existing blends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Spirit

The Scary Bear Owner
Sorry if this is the wrong section, please do move it should there be a better place.

I was recently gifted a largish amount of McClelland Mocha Black and I tried a bowl of the tobacco on its own and found it to be absolutely ghastly to my own tastes but I spoke about it to a few friends who insisted they would enjoy it very much so I kept back a small amount and sent off the remainder to those chaps. With the bit I kept back I mixed it with a bit of Bayou Morning and by jove it made an absolutely fantastic blend, the Mocha flavour went superbly with the Bayou Morning and I could have kicked myself sideways for having given the bulk of the Mocha Black away.

Fairly recently I tried one of the Coffee flavoured blends available here in the UK and compared to the flavour I had with the mix I tried as mentioned it was ghastly, the flavour was very weak and the tobacco less than appealing to say the least. Finding a good Coffee flavoured blend here in the UK is a little like hoping to find Unicorn teeth in your back garden, fun to imagine one might just be lucky in finding the obviously unobtainable but in reality one is simply wasting their time.

So I came to the conclusion of "if blenders can make a Mocha flavoured tobacco why can't I", ah but then came the come down to reality, how on Earth do you do it I asked myself and that was the end of that beautiful idea. Ah but you see now I know about this forum which is brimming with folk who know tons more about the great brown leaf than I so why not ask the folk who know I say to myself, I don't know why not I say to myself so here I am asking you knowledgeable folk.

How do you add flavouring to existing tobacco blends without making a mouldy pile of stinky brown stuff and where oh where do you get the flavouring in the first place, I'd love to be able to re-create the McClelland Mocha Black flavouring if at all possible.

I'd greatly appreciate any help and advice on the subject please, thank you for taking the time to read my waffling drivel.

Be well and safe journeys.

rustycase

I just don't know abt mocha black. sry...

From time to time, I use a trout steamer pan to flavor my burley...

I put a dozen or so eucalyptus leaves in the water, set the tray in, then fill the pan with dry leaf and set the top on.

When steam begins to come out the lid, I turn it off.

A smaller amount kinda softens the Burley-bite.
More, brings a definite menthol flavor to the baccy, when smoked.

I've messed around with any number of common kitchen items when making 'sauce' to influence tobacco, including left-over coffee from the pot, and everything else except for the grease out of the frying pan! Yah, bourbon, scotch, and beer. and wine.

The eucalyptus leaf thingy is the most notable.

Hope that brings you a bit of inspiration...
rc

DonH

For mocha I would mix some chocolate extract with water and coffee and maybe a bit of vanilla extract with water and spray it on the tobacco and leave it out to dry some.

DGBAMA

RC, for some reason, your frying pan comment immediately brought the thought of Bacon tobacco to mind. Not sure I am brave enough though, so need a volunteer to try it.

Briar Spirit

The Scary Bear Owner
Thank you all for the great suggestions, have any of you tried any of the coffee extracts used for baking, I've looked at amazon UK but the reviews there don't seem very favourable, can any one recommend a good strong coffee extract I could look into getting please.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Try this place. They are similar to Lor Ann oils but this stuff is made to be heated ( as in smoking).
http://www.candyflavor.com/Candy-Flavoring.html#mocha0

Edit: I should add that the amount of flavoring needed is usually a lot, so much so that it leaves your tobacco very moist. Because of this, commercial tobacco blenders add propylene glycol (PG). This inhibits mold growth but also contributes to tongue bite.

Last edited:

Briar Spirit

The Scary Bear Owner
Thank you very much for the lead and the information Jitterbugdude, the use of that PG stuff is nasty to say the least, lends a truly unpleasant chemical flavour to the smoke and I can hardly taste the tobacco at all.

The more I consider this whole thing the more I feel it would be safer to stick with using McClelland's Mocha Black as a mixer for existing blends, if they use PG in it they use very little, I wouldn't use the stuff myself and the notion of my precious small cellar going to mould is simply too worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.