Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Habano tobaccos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

CT, only my second year but I can see why the running joke is that growing is more addictive than smoking. Always something new to learn from someone.

Ramble On....... We will read on.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Modernity funnels us into becoming consumers, dependent on others to create and supply all of our needs and desires. The act of growing tobacco allows us to regain a modicum of control over this one small aspect of our lives. We become artisans of tobacco. It is that sense of control--of power over our own lives--that is so addictive. Because growing tobacco is dirty, gooey, buggy, exhausting work under a hot sun, there must be more to its attraction than just the having of the final product.

Bob

leverhead

...It is that sense of control--of power over our own lives--that is so addictive. Because growing tobacco is dirty, gooey, buggy, exhausting work under a hot sun, there must be more to its attraction than just the having of the final product.

Bob

Maybe this ought to be a new thread.

I've worked in machine shops for about 40 years, from sweeping floors, learning the "ropes" to actually being productive. Usually the really talented guys have a passion, bordering on a fetish and they fall into three groups. Some build/customize cars, some build tools, some build sporting equipment. Allot of it would only be seen in a museum, but they made it and it's in their garage, tool box or gun cabinet. The time, pencil, paper, oil, grime, band aids, mistakes and blue air are gone, leaving a finished product that few others (if any) have.

That's in a machine shop, I think growing tobacco is similar. It's not so much the final product, it's where it came from. Pride feels pretty damned good! Who wouldn't want another helping?

DGBAMA

Well said. I bought a lathe and mill some years ago. Sometimes I make stuff because what I need is obsolete and can't be purchased, other times because it saves me money; but other times I do it just because I can, even though it would be cheaper and easier to use Pay Pal and order it.

ArizonaDave

Maybe this ought to be a new thread.

I've worked in machine shops for about 40 years, from sweeping floors, learning the "ropes" to actually being productive. Usually the really talented guys have a passion, bordering on a fetish and they fall into three groups. Some build/customize cars, some build tools, some build sporting equipment. Allot of it would only be seen in a museum, but they made it and it's in their garage, tool box or gun cabinet. The time, pencil, paper, oil, grime, band aids, mistakes and blue air are gone, leaving a finished product that few others (if any) have.

That's in a machine shop, I think growing tobacco is similar. It's not so much the final product, it's where it came from. Pride feels pretty damned good! Who wouldn't want another helping?

That makes a lot of sense leverhead! My father in law used to teach machine shop, and we have one item he made. It's actually a meat tenderizer. I'm amazed at it every time we pull it out to use, it's a beautiful piece of art. Likewise, I'm really attached to the plants that are growing now for my fall grow, and each plant, each type is unique.
I know my first grow is such a small grow compared to you guys, but I can't hardly wait to do it again.

There IS something to this labor that is very gratifying. I appreciate the fact that you guys love this labor so much, that you share your knowledge with others like myself. Not only Pride, I think, but a sense of accomplishment. With all that said, a real special thanks to Mad Oshea who gave me my first start (seeds). I can't hardly wait to return the favor to him, and others who may need the same kind of start in the future.

I'm sure the deeper you go into this rabbit hole, the more gratifying this hobby can be!

Ben Brand

My mentor said to me once "if you can plant tobacco from seed to leaf successfully, you can plant anything else". And I aggree. I think tobacco producing is an art, the curring of the leaf must be an art. Thats my few cents worth.
Ben

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Machupichu and Java blend. I blend too many to have a certain like or dis like. However I love a coffee woodsy smoke that is smooooth. I'v got to order the two I listed for My area 51-15 grow. I hate to see a zippo used on a good stick. I had to throw that in the mix.

Smokin Harley

where do you find the Machu Picchu Havana seeds? Of the three seed companies I've looked at none have it? I like the idea of a chocolate sweetness ,could be nice subtle hint for a dessert cigar as well as heavier in my occasional rainy day pipe session.

CT Tobaccoman

CT, only my second year but I can see why the running joke is that growing is more addictive than smoking. Always something new to learn from someone.

Ramble On....... We will read on.

For only your second year you are doing great! I'd be proud of plants like yours.

The addiction comes from things like nearly losing all your young plants from too much rain, like you had, and then in the end having beautiful plants.

The feeling on the shade farms I worked was like we were an army that fought hard to victory. And we were an army--200 employees from late May until mid-September, and even the lowliest tobacco picker felt a great sense of accomplishment. It's not like the usual job where you do the same thing month to month, year to year. On shade tobacco we would fight a great battle against heavy odds each year. How addicting is that?

In the early spring, as we would sow the seed, my boss used to say," We're going to raise a crop of shade tobacca now, right? It don't happen by itself!" It's a satisfying group effort every year--what other job gives you that?

CT

ArizonaDave

where do you find the Machu Picchu Havana seeds? Of the three seed companies I've looked at none have it? I like the idea of a chocolate sweetness ,could be nice subtle hint for a dessert cigar as well as heavier in my occasional rainy day pipe session.

Get ahold of Skychaser BEFORE the end of August, he's running a half price sale right now: http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed List2.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.