Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Habano tobaccos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaDave

Hi everyone,
I encourage you to share your experiences with what your favorite Habano Leaves are.

So far, I've tried the Habana 2000 Wrapper, the Nic. Habano Seco, and the Habano Viso.

The Habana 2000 is a nice, light brown, sometimes red, and dark brown wrapper. Very Stretchy, big leaf, and a soothing wrapper.

The Nicaraguan Habano Seco is one of my favorite Secos. The leaves are in fantastic shape, and can even be used in a binder and Wrapper. Nice Woodsy tone, medium bodied.

Nicaraguan Habano Viso brings some pepper to the table, but the wood and earth tones this brings is enough to shine through a lighter blend. I only use 2 leaves per Churchill, and seems to last a long time.

CT Tobaccoman

Well, I like the H-2000 wrapper a lot too. Of course, I'm partial to Conn grown Havana seed, as wrapper or binder. Not a big fam of Nicaraguan tobacco--I like a mild smoke and they are a bit strong.

By Habano tobacco I guess you mean anything derived from Cuban tobacco? In that sense the varieties out there are very numerous. There are Habano wrappers as light in color as shade and as dark as can be. I'm not really as educated as you are as to the particular qualities of the various Habano types that are for sale.

Would you consider Pilato Cubano as Habano? Or the other Dominican varietals that have been derived from Cuban seed, like Corojo and Olor?

CT

ArizonaDave

Well, I like the H-2000 wrapper a lot too. Of course, I'm partial to Conn grown Havana seed, as wrapper or binder. Not a big fam of Nicaraguan tobacco--I like a mild smoke and they are a bit strong.

By Habano tobacco I guess you mean anything derived from Cuban tobacco? In that sense the varieties out there are very numerous. There are Habano wrappers as light in color as shade and as dark as can be. I'm not really as educated as you are as to the particular qualities of the various Habano types that are for sale.

Would you consider Pilato Cubano as Habano? Or the other Dominican varietals that have been derived from Cuban seed, like Corojo and Olor?

CT
Anything anyone would want to contribute, such as yourself.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Some Havana tobaccos:
  • Comstock Spanish: thick, dark, leather and wood flavors; medium strength; can produce oscuro
  • Zimmer Spanish: similar to Comstock
  • Mont Calme Brun: light, mild, very large leaves
  • Machu Picchu Havana: medium dark wrappers, smooth and slightly sweet, sometimes chocolaty; mild to medium strength
  • Vuelta Abajo: medium dark, heavy leaf, earthy and dry flavors; medium strength
  • Havana 263: medium-size leaves, smooth and woody tastes; medium strength
  • Havana 38: similar to Havana 263, somewhat larger leaf; medium strength
There are, of course, many other "numbered" Havanas.

Bob

ArizonaDave

Some Havana tobaccos:
  • Comstock Spanish: thick, dark, leather and wood flavors; medium strength; can produce oscuro
  • Zimmer Spanish: similar to Comstock
  • Mont Calme Brun: light, mild, very large leaves
  • Machu Picchu Havana: medium dark wrappers, smooth and slightly sweet, sometimes chocolaty; mild to medium strength
  • Vuelta Abajo: medium dark, heavy leaf, earthy and dry flavors; medium strength
  • Havana 263: medium-size leaves, smooth and woody tastes; medium strength
  • Havana 38: similar to Havana 263, somewhat larger leaf; medium strength
There are, of course, many other "numbered" Havanas.

Bob

Good list Bob! How many of those have you grown yourself over the years?

What are your favorites?

I personally want to try growing the Vuetta Abajo, and the Machu Picchu some time in the near future.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That is a list of the Havana types that I have grown in the past. Each variety has its strengths and drawbacks--all discussed in detail within my grow logs of the past several years.

Of that list, Machu Picchu and Vuelta Abajo are among the varieties I am growing again this year. Both of these are also held in the FTT seed bank.

Bob

ArizonaDave

That is a list of the Havana types that I have grown in the past. Each variety has its strengths and drawbacks--all discussed in detail within my grow logs of the past several years.

Of that list, Machu Picchu and Vuelta Abajo are among the varieties I am growing again this year. Both of these are also held in the FTT seed bank.

Bob

I'd really like to grow the Machu Picchu and the Vueita Abajo starting in January. Who do I ask for those seeds?
Yes, I'll take a look at your past grow blogs and make sure there's not one I want as well.

CT Tobaccoman

Might I suggest growing Connecticut Havana Seed? If seed can be found (and I don't know if it is indeed available) good varieties are Conn Havana 7 and Conn Havana 149 (I' not certain that "149" is the correct number, but it is a 3 digit number ending with a "9.")

It was historically grown in the Connecticut Valley from 1875 until about 1960, and its cultivation was resumed during the first decade of this century. It is raised to be wrapper-binder and makes good filler as well. It can be primed or stalk cut. If primed it is cured like shade--with heat. If stalk cut it is cured as broadleaf--air cured.

CT

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
When I'm researching new varieties I go to Google to do a site: search and put in variety name and his name, smoke reports are great, not to mention growing reports.

As to varieties, you could probably grow one of each and still run out of room. Often times the numbers just represent a single type that has been bred to something else to give it a new resistance or some other trait though while still retaining the original characteristics. Not always, but often.

Since you won't be getting Cuban tobacco without being in Cuba don't rule out other varieties either, you might find something that turns out even better in your yard.

CT Tobaccoman

Interesting tidbit:

I read an article about the Turrent family of Mexico, who raise most of the tobacco in Mexico. They make the Te Amo cigar among others, and operate now under the Altadis umbrella.

The Turrent patriarch said that, in the days of Spanish rule, the Spanish confined tobacco growing to Cuba, lest their colonies compete. He says that the type of tobacco grown in those days in Mexico was taken to Cuba, so that Habano tobacco had its origin in Mexico.

Nobody can prove or disprove this statement now, of course, but I tend to believe it, since it comes from the mouth of Mexico's largest tobacco grower. The Turrents raise two crops a year of various types of tobacco, mostly Habano type--I think that there is also a type that is specific to Mexico (a maduro type.) I like Mexican tobacco--I like Te Amo straight as well as the Te Amo Dominican Selection, which features a USA Conn Shade wrapper and various Dominican and Mexican grown filler. Macanudo, possibly my favorite cigar, has a Mexican binder.

CT

CT Tobaccoman

Talanga is a nice Habano used for wrapper, binder and filler. I think that it comes from a certain farm or region in Honduras. It is light in color. It is the wrapper on the Don Tomas Dominican Selection.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Good evening, CT Tobaccoman. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make covert contact with some of your old buddies in Connecticut, and attempt to obtain fresh seed for one or more varieties of CT Havana. Should you succeed in your mission, you should send some of the seed, properly labeled, to the FTT Seed Bank.

This message will self destruct in 10 seconds. Maybe.

CT Tobaccoman

OK, I will accept this mission. I am not really acquainted with the Havana seed growers, but they probably wouldn't mind giving a cup of seed as long as they are sure that I am not a covert agent from Ecuador, trying to steal another one of our tobaccos.

CT Tobaccoman

CT, thank you for taking time to contribute your knowledge of the industry. I enjoy your posts.

You're welcome, DG. Good of you to say so. Sometimes I think that I ramble on too much, or sound like a know-it-all. When you work in tobacco it takes over your life and gets to be all you are really interested in. Tobacco farmers are a totally different breed than vegetable farmers. Tobacco is infinitely interesting. They say that it takes more than one lifetime to learn all there is to know about tobacco, and I am learning a great deal by way of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.