Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Perustitza

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Perustitza was intoduced to Italy in early 20s from Plovdiv area in Bulgaria. It was known as Perustitza-Ustina in Bulgaria and it was famous with its delicate, intense highly aromatic noble taste. Its smell is said to be "better than a French fragrance"

Perustitza is an Oriental variety so it's a moderately short plant, 1 to 1.3 m. Leaves are sessile and small (Basma type). Leaves are insterted to the plant stem with a less acute angle with respect to Xanthi Yaka. Yield seems moderate, 27-50 leaves.

Perustitza Gigante was developed in Italy (Lazio) by crossing other types of tobaccos. This crossings brought out a high yielding Oriental variety with 1.5 to 1.7 m height and more useful leaves (40-50) with bigger leaf sizes (15-20 x 7-10 cm).

Between 1975 and 1985, Perustitza was the most popular Oriental tobacco grown in Italy (42% of the total Oriental tobacco was Perustitza).

Perustitza was grown in same manner as other Orientals with a planting density of 20x45 cm.

Cured leaves are thin and yellow to reddish colored. Combustibility is said to be "great".

1.jpg 2.jpg

Photos of PI 370304 "Perustitza Gigante" from GRIN database.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
That looks a lot like the Bucak I've grown. Can you comment on the differences/similarities of the two? As I understand it, Bucak was a cross between a Turkish and a flue cured.

istanbulin

Founding Member
That looks a lot like the Bucak I've grown. Can you comment on the differences/similarities of the two? As I understand it, Bucak was a cross between a Turkish and a flue cured.

Morphologically I found two of them very different (from the photo above) so Bucak is from Mars and Perustitza is from Venus to me. Perustitza grown in Italy, especially the "Gigante", probably was not created by crossing FC or other varieties. It's probably a result of selective breeding after crossing it with other Oriental types because even the "Gigante" has smaller leaves (15-20 x 7-10 cm) with respect to Bucak.

I'm sure smoking characteristics are very different too.

I learned that Bucak is a random cross of various (28) Flue-cured and some Burley varieties. After years experts got those crosses and improved its uniformity (selfing etc). As I know, Bucak area never grew Orientals so there's probably no Oriental "blood" in Bucak variety.
Full story of Bucak is here -> http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3826-Rainmax-Grow-log-2014?p=81774&viewfull=1#post81774

POGreen

Interesting indeed , ITB in France has 2 different varieties of Perustitza.
One is
Perustitza and the other one is Perustitza 107.
Could that 107 be the Gigante ?

istanbulin

Founding Member
As I recall, there were no additional (descriptions, observations etc.) information about the varieties in ITB catalog so who knows ?

POGreen

d0xi5rB.jpg

Found a site in Italian and had my browser to translate it + did a sort of a screendump
Hope you find it interesting istanbulin
Here's the site : http://www1.inea.it/ist/perustit.htm

DonH

Is anyone saving seeds to this? I'd be interested in trying it next year.
Yes, I'm growing Perustitza Lazio this year. I got some seeds from GRIN and I will be saving seeds. By the way, of all the varieties I started, the Perustitza are doing the best.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
Since you're both here, any notes to compare between the regular variety and the giant? Is there something to prefer between a large oriental and a small one?

DGBAMA

Since you're both here, any notes to compare between the regular variety and the giant? Is there something to prefer between a large oriental and a small one?

My understanding of orientals is the smaller leaves tend to be more flavorful/aromatic.

Since DonH and I appear to be growing the standard and giant, one each, it would be an interesting comparison to do a little leaf trading at the end of the season so the two similar varieties could be directly compared.

Status
Not open for further replies.