Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Making your own cigar mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaDave

Thanks for all the compliments!! I'm flattered.

It's definitely an artistic piece of value, and a great share on DIY. I just might try a "Trumpeto" mold, that starts at a point at one end, and flairs up to a 60 rg on the other end. Yes, I've rolled some free hand, but a mold like yours would give it the finishing touch.

Triple cudos for sharing this thread! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

quo155

Don, that is extremely nice! Great looking cigars and especially the hand made mold. Well done!

BarG

Founding Member
For fun, this weekend, I decided to make a cigar mold from scratch using NO power tools. Only hand tools. Michael's art supply had a block of Bass wood measuring 1.75" x 1.75" x 8". Cut it in half length wise. Perfect size and a great wood to use for hand carving. Total cost was $4.29.

Started by making a template out of paper and tracing it on the wood.
View attachment 12682

Then started carefully relief carving away the outer portion of wood...

View attachment 12683

Then traced the wood shaped cigar on the other piece of wood and began chipping away. Until it looked like a cigar mold. I did use my grand daughters play dough to check the finished shape of the cigar which required some tweaking to get it into rounded shape. (First cigar was a bit oval shaped) Used a small round socket wrench wrapped in sand paper to get a perfect final rounded shape.

View attachment 12684

First cigar doesn't look too bad and am very pleased with the results. A worth while, fun project that really didn't take that long and I have my very own, one of a kind 6" perfecto. Hand carved and hand rolled.

View attachment 12685

Ha ha, I am impressed, I wish I had your motivation. That is some very fine work.
Was it raining that day or what?:cool:

ArizonaDave

Ha ha, I am impressed, I wish I had your motivation. That is some very fine work.
Was it raining that day or what?:cool:

"Sunny" Florida has almost as many rainy rainy days as Oregon. The difference is, Florida can rain 4" an hour, and be sunny in the same day. I've seen it where one side of the street is pouring down rain, and the other side is bone dry. Tampa bay is the "Lightning capitol of North America"

darren1979

First Time Grower
Thats some good looking wood working skills right there. I may give a try myself, but ill just end up with a tooth pick lol

GuyNC

That is totally amazing Gdaddy.
I have basswood and carving tools and would love to attempt this too but my eyes are my problem and I used to do a lot of woodcarving in the past but have since had to give that up due to eyesight issues.

I am fairly new to cigar rolling but now am totally into it. Three years now.

My problem is that I would like to purchase a decent cigar mold and most are quite expensive. Some are wood and some are plastic or a composite. Right now I am thinking of wood but plastic would work fine also and I have a question for you and any others that might want to impart what they think.

I noticed that the way you carved the mold, you had a female and a male section. The way you made this mold is like the molds Don sells and he mentions something about the tobacco not spilling out and I am not sure what that means.

I have looked at molds on that other site..not sure if I am allowed to mention it but it is Leaf O. They have molds for $51 but they look like something I could use a router to make, but I won't. Can you educate me on these molds? I think thus far that what Don offers are better in quality but just don't really know about molds since I have never used one.
The ring size that is offered is a problem with me. I don't like a huge ring size but prefer like a 46 ring. I can go up or down if need be but I really do not want to do so but maybe I have no choice. I could go down to a 44 ring I guess or even up to a 48 . I am still debating about the molds so any help you guys can enlighten me with be appreciated.

Damn good carved mold though Gdaddy.

Gdaddy

That is totally amazing Gdaddy.
I have basswood and carving tools and would love to attempt this too but my eyes are my problem and I used to do a lot of woodcarving in the past but have since had to give that up due to eyesight issues.

I am fairly new to cigar rolling but now am totally into it. Three years now.

My problem is that I would like to purchase a decent cigar mold and most are quite expensive. Some are wood and some are plastic or a composite. Right now I am thinking of wood but plastic would work fine also and I have a question for you and any others that might want to impart what they think.

I noticed that the way you carved the mold, you had a female and a male section. The way you made this mold is like the molds Don sells and he mentions something about the tobacco not spilling out and I am not sure what that means.

I have looked at molds on that other site..not sure if I am allowed to mention it but it is Leaf O. They have molds for $51 but they look like something I could use a router to make, but I won't. Can you educate me on these molds? I think thus far that what Don offers are better in quality but just don't really know about molds since I have never used one.
The ring size that is offered is a problem with me. I don't like a huge ring size but prefer like a 46 ring. I can go up or down if need be but I really do not want to do so but maybe I have no choice. I could go down to a 44 ring I guess or even up to a 48 . I am still debating about the molds so any help you guys can enlighten me with be appreciated.

Damn good carved mold though Gdaddy.

Thanks GuyNC !!

The mold you see on 'the other site' has no male/female. It's flat so the tobacco doesn't get tucked in and can 'spill out' the sides as it's pressed.
Dons molds are made correctly. When the cigars are pressed they are getting hugged by the interlock just like you see on my mold. The tricky part of carving the mold is to get the male and female to interlock perfectly. Must be done very carefully.

Can't help with the sizes. That's a personal preference.

Good luck!

GuyNC

Thank you Gdaddy for your info ....and You carving that mold out of basswood was just short of Exceptional!
You are a really great wood carver and how you seemed to get that mold so smooth is really beyond me. Just a fantastic job. One has to do it to really know. You must have really Sharp Tools.
I thank you also for your other input about the molds. I was already leaning to Don's even though more expensive but I remembered we sometimes forget the saying..you get what you pay for. Always rings true.
I met you on another forum and asked you about the triple cap and you were so nice to send me a video and also tell me where you had purchased your glue and your plastic molds from maybe Cigar Rolling Products. Then you invited me here to Fair Trade..where I had already signed up but had never posted in the past.
I just want to tell you that everything you have directed me to....has been Spot On.

Just wanting to thank you for your offerings on this site. Really appreciated here in my spot of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gdaddy

Thank you Gdaddy for your info ....and You carving that mold out of basswood was just short of Exceptional!
You are a really great wood carver and how you seemed to get that mold so smooth is really beyond me. Just a fantastic job. One has to do it to really know. You must have really Sharp Tools.
I thank you also for your other input about the molds. I was already leaning to Don's even though more expensive but I remembered we sometimes forget the saying..you get what you pay for. Always rings true.
I met you on another forum and asked you about the triple cap and you were so nice to send me a video and also tell me where you had purchased your glue and your plastic molds from maybe Cigar Rolling Products. Then you invited me here to Fair Trade..where I had already signed up but had never posted in the past.
I just want to tell you that everything you have directed me to....has been Spot On.

Just wanting to thank you for your offerings on this site. Really appreciated here in my spot of the world.

Thank you so much for the kind words! That post put a smile on my face.

dondford

Great project and great results. A related question; I am a newbie and have watched your "test" series, please advise the source of the single cigar, black plastic mold you used.

Thanks,
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.