Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

One Sucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I had received samples over the years of one sucker with various purchases from BigBonner and I would mix and match it various ways and it always seemed fine but I never tried it by itself and never really thought about it much until this year when my seeds failed and I had to buy starts if I wanted to have a grow. I ordered a couple different dark air varieties that I wasn't familiar with and started growing. I was talking to BigB later about something else and he mentioned that the one sucker type he sells is narrow leaf madole, the same as the plants I was growing this year. This brought a renewed interest in that type and I got some more of this leaf sent out to me.

It arrived while I was at work, I only had time to make a twist and get it pressing a little bit until now. I just got in from smoking some of that twist and wow I am in love. Before with the samples I'd add a strip here or there or use 1 leaf or something. Twisting up about a pound of leaf provided something way different from what I was used to. I cut a couple really thin coins off it and fluffed them up before stuffing into the pipe and it started going great.

The flavor is usually compared to fruits or treats but I want to go out on a line here and say it tasted like tobacco:) full, rich, glorious American tobacco with a massive volume of smoke. It's over two years old and not kilned, just hung to air. The unburnt twist smelt slightly of raisins, but once sparked up it gives way to a really robust smoke that I enjoyed immensely and the flavor just kept getting better as the pipe smoked down.

I'm really a fan, and glad that seed lot failed or I never would have tried this awesome American tobacco variety since I tend to go looking for the exotic types of tobacco that can be really hard to obtain. It turned out one of the best is grown right here down in Kentucky.

Thanks BigB.

Jpcouling

I agree big b sent me some one sucker and it is fantastic. Very dark smoke that I love, and I am nowadays smoking straight burley so that should say something! Big bonners tobacco is amazing no wonder it won a blue ribbon

POGreen

I have some One Sucker OS 400 in my fridge , perhaps one should grow a row of them next year.
Not without doubt it does sound very interesting.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
One sucker is a subtype within the dark types, within the one sucker subtype plants are similar in that they are Burley's or darks with few suckers, but if you haven't specifically tried Narrow Leaf Madole yet, you are missing out on something nice. It has a different texture and great flavor making it wonderful for both pipe smoke and general smokeless uses that I have found so far.

In reading about it, many large seed companies sell it in addition to all the resistant hybrids they sell. I can only guess they all offer this old nonresistant variety still because it is just that good.

ETA: this post should start with From what I understand... as reading about one sucker types was a little confusing to me. As I think I understand now, it includes many varieties from multiple classifications.

Last edited:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
So I mentioned in another thread I was experimenting with this tobacco in plug form. I have this folger's can of lead that I use to press things. I took some nl madole that was stemmed added a small amount of fire cured and placed it all in a bag. The form is a davidoff cigar box. I cut the lid so it just fits inside the box. Next I took the leaf and put it in a bag that got a shot of whiskey added to it and was allowed to sweat and take up all the whiskey. This leaf was then packed inside the mold and folger's can added to the top. After checking I can seed l see that everything is coming along nicely and the aroma is to die for. I'm going to let this press as long as I can try before I sample. So far everything is looking great though.

DGBAMA

I grew 12 of them this year, they started well but finished below expectation for yield. Thanks for your review, gives me hope that at least the modest/small yield will be some good stuff.

BigBonner

Founding Member
That one sucker is about 4 years old .

The one sucker I have is just a variety of Dark air . I keep it separate from my other dark air varieties by calling it one sucker . All dark air cured varieties are called one sucker by tobacco buyers .
The narrow leaf Madole looks differently than other dark air varieties I have .
Back years ago there was a variety name one sucker . Now modern tobacco has Dark air with numbers to identify them .

I am growing some dark air this year that is supposed to be a wrapper grade . I guess we will find out . It looks a lot lighter in color , short stalk , loaded with big leaves than the rest of my dark air tobacco does .This is still growing and is close to ready to top .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
So the NL madole is not the one sucker you send out? I really am confused regarding type then. So this is something else? Well I hope you sell transplants next year for whatever type it is, I want to grow it.

Dgbama, my NL madole is 7 feet tall, leaves the size of small children, and dark pink flowers, it's pretty nuts.

BigBonner

Founding Member
So the NL madole is not the one sucker you send out? I really am confused regarding type then. So this is something else? Well I hope you sell transplants next year for whatever type it is, I want to grow it.

Dgbama, my NL madole is 7 feet tall, leaves the size of small children, and dark pink flowers, it's pretty nuts.

Yes it is narrow leaf madole and called one sucker it is what I named it as one sucker to keep it separate from other dark air varieties that is technically called one sucker to .
Dark air varieties do not all look the same .

Dark air ( called one sucker By buyers ) is dark air only . Most dark air varieties are curable both way , air and fire .

To keep my dark air varieties separate I keep one ( Narrow leaf madole ) as one sucker and my other dark air as plain dark air .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Ah OK good it is what I am saving seed for. Absolutely wonderful tobacco.

POGreen

One sucker is a subtype within the dark types, within the one sucker subtype plants are similar in that they are Burley's or darks with few suckers, but if you haven't specifically tried Narrow Leaf Madole yet, you are missing out on something nice. It has a different texture and great flavor making it wonderful for both pipe smoke and general smokeless uses that I have found so far.
I got that Narrow Leaf Madole on its way just because of this........

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
You won't be disappointed my friend. A better multipurpose tobacco doesn't exist I don't think. Might find something as good but I doubt better. Should ask BigB to throw some seed in the package too since you are so far and will likely want to grow it next year.

I'll be saving seed for sure. It actually doesn't make too much seed either. Well, for tobacco.

POGreen

You caught my interest Smokes , thats for sure.
Was thinkin 'bout the Yellow Orinoco too , but it might be too sweetish to have in snus , I don't know really.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I have the yellow Orinoco, totally different leaf and smoke flavor. When this is in high case it stretches like leather and smells and tastes a little like raisins. Not sure what the 212 for a week maillard process will do to it, I should get some cooking. I made up a couple carrots, one straight, one cased with whiskey. Need to get the rest done up before it molds though

ArizonaDave

Yes it is narrow leaf madole and called one sucker it is what I named it as one sucker to keep it separate from other dark air varieties that is technically called one sucker to .
Dark air varieties do not all look the same .

Dark air ( called one sucker By buyers ) is dark air only . Most dark air varieties are curable both way , air and fire .

To keep my dark air varieties separate I keep one ( Narrow leaf madole ) as one sucker and my other dark air as plain dark air .

I guess that answers my question. That is something I'd like to try for sure.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Ugh me and my big mouth, dibs on the rest if supply starts getting low lol:)

smokinghole

My inquiring mind must ask. Is this the same as the dark air on the WLT site or is this another variety that BigBonner sells on his own?

Status
Not open for further replies.