Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Chaveta design

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This is the third chaveta design and I think the last for a while. It has the same specs as the second design (.035 spring steel), but the style is very old school. It's a little larger than what was used 200 years ago, but it's very comfortable. As with all the chavetas, it is professionally sharpened and ready for many years of use.

This is the historic design
historic.jpg

This is what we made from the design.
Newdesign1.jpg

Members special on chavetas coming up soon.

BarG

Founding Member
Thats very cool. I like that and the what looks like black enamel paint with the polished edge. No wonder you have such a brilliant future.:cool:

You see what someone started.

istanbulin

Founding Member
That's a cool looking chaveta. Since I'm not a chaveta user I'm not able to leave a comment about it. May be you can explain us the new deign chaveta's advantages superior to the previous design.

MarcL

I really like the historic style re-creation designing idea. This looks great!
Was it the intention to be an inch shorter? Maybe it's me but, from the images, it seem closes to the largest one? Witch what I got was 8 3/8 inches? What do y'all get? This inquiring mind wants to know.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The design is based on the historic document. The size is based on the hand made chavetas I got from the Dominican. This newest design is 7 1/2" x 3 1/4" which is larger than the hand made chavetas.

Both designs have there benefits. The round edges can assist with making tight radius curves and the pointed edge can assist in making flags for caps.

I encourage everyone to get several of each. They make great Christmas and Birthday presents for everyone of all ages.

MarcL

The design is based on the historic document. The size is based on the hand made chavetas I got from the Dominican. This newest design is 7 1/2" x 3 1/4" which is larger than the hand made chavetas.

You see, what I mean is, when I examine your historical document, (blowing the image up to making the ruler actual size) I find this one to be an inch shorter. I'm wondering if that was intended.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I made a full scale model and found it to be awkward and clunky...and I have big hands. I really did put a lot of thought into making these and got a lot of input from many people before I settled on a design. The newest model is larger than the first model and even though it's only 10% larger, it feels much larger than that. I think the size, scale and design are as close to perfect as this mere mortal can do.

ArizonaDave

I made a full scale model and found it to be awkward and clunky...and I have big hands. I really did put a lot of thought into making these and got a lot of input from many people before I settled on a design. The newest model is larger than the first model and even though it's only 10% larger, it feels much larger than that. I think the size, scale and design are as close to perfect as this mere mortal can do.

Humility is a virtue, and striving toward perfection creates newer and better utensils. Great job Don!

Status
Not open for further replies.