Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Joe's dumb question's thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOE1977

So I tend to have a lot of dumb questions as a noob, so I thought I would start a thread for me and other noobs:cool:

When blending, what consist a "part"? Ex: 2 parts Dom seco 1 parts liga etc. Is a part half a leaf for say a 50 rg?

more to come....:confused:

istanbulin

Founding Member
Actually, I remember something about the "parts" on pipe blending. I'm sure it was Bob explaining that but I couldn't find the post.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Total all the "parts" for a whole cigar. If it's 3 parts of this and 1 part of that, then (3 + 1 = 4) the cigar filler would be 3/4 this and 1/4 that. For a large cigar, that might be 3 entire leaves of this and 1 entire leaf of that, whereas for a petit corona, the same blend may require only 1-1/2 leaves of this and 1/2 leaf of that. It's still 3:1.

Some commercial pipe blenders (e.g. Cornell & Diehl) utilize parts per 16 parts for blending cards. In that scheme, each part represents 1 ounce by weight. So 7 parts Latakia comes out to 7/16 Latakia in the total blend, or 7 ounces of Latakia per pound of blended tobacco.

Bob

MarcL

So, "what consist of a part" depends on the size of cigar?

So, how much existing, in a "part" of a 50 RG depends on the combustibility obtainable or desired in a blend?

example: say a blend having more ligero (less combustible) and less other (more combustible) is going to have less total leaves then something with less or no ligero? ....2 parts Dom seco 1 part ligero = less leaves and, 7 parts Dom seco 1 parts ligero = more leaves.

DGBAMA

Parts, is a simple proportion measurement. Basic fractions. Regardless of unit of measure. If the total "parts" of a blend is 4, then each part is 1/4 or 25%; if total parts is 17 (random number) then each part is 1/17th or 5.88% of the blend.

DGBAMA

By using "parts" as a measurement, the blend stays consistent regardless of the size of cigar or amount of baccy mixed in a single batch.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, different length and shape of a cigar influence the smoking experience, due to smoke volume, total nicotine dose, etc. Some factories alter their blend depending on the specific shape or size, in an attempt to make all the sizes of a line of cigars smoke the same.

If you care, it can make you crazy worrying about it.

Bob

webmost

Not exactly.

First off, the ring gauge affects the blend a lot. The ratio of wrapper to filler remain about the same; but the ratio of these two to filler change rapidly as you progress from lancero to robusto to jaw breaker.

Next, the shape itself affects flavor. For example: A long shape cools the smoke. A torpedo or perfecto constrict the smoke and direct it at a target in the mouth. A trumpet gives you a big blast of volume right off.

A quick sample rolled in a blunt roller and lit immediately might give you a clue whether a blend will work at all; but that blend will not be consistent in all shapes and sizes.

Just try the same premium cigar in various vitolas and you will see immediately what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.