Plant Height (topped/un-topped) – 30”/24”
Flower Color – Pink
Leaf Length – 14” to 16”
Leaf Width – 9”
Days to Maturity – 50
Leaf Yield – 1 to 2.25 ounces
Sucrosester – 0
Nicotine – 18

The Yumbo native variety is an heirloom ancestral strain of sacred tobacco. It was reportedly collected from a respected ayahuaca healer of the Yumbo tribe in the Upper Amazon. Many of the Columbian natives tend to prefer chewing (“drinking”) tobacco rather than smoking. This Yumbo tobacco is much more potent than any commercially processed chewing tobacco. Chew with great caution, and consider that it is generally not recommended.

The people of the Yumbo are somewhat diverse, but their tobacco is a singular delight. This tobacco grows short and fat with broad thick leaves. Yumbo make golden flavorful natural tobacco rich, bright and satisfying. The color of Yumbo deepens after reasonable age. ''
From herloom tobacco --- http://www.heirloomtobacco.com/

''[FONT=&quot]Yumbo[/FONT] is a primitive strain of tobacco grown by the Yumbo tribe in the upper Amazon basin. It grows to 3' in height and matures in 45-50 days. The thick leaves are a dark green color averaging 9"-12" in width, and 14"-16" in length. The edges turn yellow when ripe and cured leaf has a nicotine content of 1.8%. ''

From NorthWest ---http://nwtseeds.com/Yumbo.htm

''Yumbo Tobacco

Yumbo is a primitive strain of tobacco grown by the Yumbo tribe in the upper Amazon basin. It grows to 3' in height and matures in 45-50 days. The thick leaves are a dark green color averaging 9"-12" in width, and 14"-16" in length. The edges turn yellow when ripe and cured leaf has a nicotine content of 1.8%.

****Historically the Columbian natives used this tobacco for chewing. However, this tobacco is not recommended for chewing as it is much stronger than any commercially available chewing varieity. We do not recommend this for chewing.''
From--- http://sustainableseedco.com/yumbo-tobacco.html

So has anyone know which Nicotine level is correct ??

<tbody>
</tbody>

skychaser

There are 18 milligrams of nicotine per gram of dried leaf, which equals 1.8% nic content. Not very high really. There are many types with a higher nic content than Yumbo. I have a couple tobaccum types growing this year that are over 6%. And a few others over 5%. Some Rusticas can push 9%.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

Curious/Interesting first post.

''

Many of the Columbian natives tend to prefer chewing (“drinking”) tobacco rather than smoking.

The use of parentheses are to indicate enclosed information that clarifies or is used as an aside. The act of chewing tobacco and drinking tobacco are completely different. When one "chews" tobacco, the resulting saliva
generated is spit out (rejected from ingestion). "Drinking" is an intentional act of ingesting.

My guess is primitive "jungle people" would be subject to all sorts of parasites that would invade the intestinal tract. Ingesting tobacco could very likely have been a remedy for worms. It would have also been something of a spiritual experience since the poison (nicotine) would have caused all sorts of psychoactive as well as physiological results. The longer the shaman's patient could keep the concoction down, the better the results. At the time, the agony of remedy was likely preferred over the condition. When I was younger, I would get poison ivy really bad. I couldn't stand the itch, so while under scalding hot water, I used steel wool to scrub the rash off my skin and then to back that up, I would pour chlorine bleach over the raw skin. It hurt like hell, but unlike the itch, the pain went away.

Luckily, we don't live in the prehistoric jungles and much safer and effective ways to deal with these conditions exist (I get steroid shots for the poison ivy now).

I would strongly recommend people not drink tobacco tea...unless you want to experience what the ancients did.

Briar Spirit

The Scary Bear Owner
There are 18 milligrams of nicotine per gram of dried leaf, which equals 1.8% nic content. Not very high really. There are many types with a higher nic content than Yumbo. I have a couple tobaccum types growing this year that are over 6%. And a few others over 5%. Some Rusticas can push 9%.

Sorry to side track here from the original post, I wonder could I impose upon your time a little please, I must say I enjoy rope pipe tobaccos which are reputedly pretty strong in nicotine content but I have never found them to be strong myself, perhaps I am just not open to the effects, what tobacco is it that you grow which are 6% and how does the nicotine content of those compare to that in something like Happy Bogie, also known as Brown Bogie?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Bright air around 3% Burley around 5%, dark air closer to 6%, bidi tobacco around 7%, rustica around 8+ genetic possibility.

All these varieties lower if grown without enough nitrogen.

I can easily see the yumbo getting around 2% and being very strong to people growing it in cleared virgin jungle. And since they didn't use every few hours it would have been quite potent to them.

LIBERTYCHICKEN

Thank You , that clears up one question but leaves me with another.

So the grin gives nicotine content levels in 'milligrams per gram of dried leaf ' is this correct ? ?

and seed vendor sites NorthWest and sustainable seed give nicotine content levels as a total percentage of dried leaf ? ? is that also correct ? ?

skychaser

Yes. And yes.
nwtseeds.com is my wholesale website, and we sell to sustainable seed. They got most of their info from us. Grin lists nic content by mg/gram. I find it less confusing for people to convert it to a percentage and list it that way.
If you are thinking of buying some Yumbo seed, check out our retail seed site at http://northwoodseeds.com. Everything is half price through August.

Sky

skychaser

Sorry to side track here from the original post, I wonder could I impose upon your time a little please, I must say I enjoy rope pipe tobaccos which are reputedly pretty strong in nicotine content but I have never found them to be strong myself, perhaps I am just not open to the effects, what tobacco is it that you grow which are 6% and how does the nicotine content of those compare to that in something like Happy Bogie, also known as Brown Bogie?

Strong nic types have little effect on me either. I can smoke anything. Once I caught a bit of a buzz from some fresh cured Aztec Rustica but thats about it. lol Can't comment on Happy Bogie cos I know nothing about it. But here is a partial list of this years plants I am growing that have a high nicotine content. They are some of the highest nic contents types listed on grin.

PI 113590 TI 464 PUNTA DE LANZA 6.64% NICOTINE CIGAR FILLER
PI 113985 TI 501 JAFFNA 6.15% NICOTINE BRIGHT LEAF
PI 118430 TI 959 (unknown name) 5.9% NICOTINE CIGAR FILLER from BRAZIL
PI 405595 TI 1275 HYANG CHO 5.85% NICOTINE PRIMITIVE from SOUTH KOREA
PI 120513 TI 1013 (unknown name) 5.81% NICOTINE BRIGHT LEAF from TURKEY
PI 405004 TI 167 SUIFU 5.34% NICOTINE CIGAR WRAPPER from Japan
PI 117669 TI 814 GOYANO 5.13% NICOTINE BRIGHT LEAF from BRAZIL

Bright air around 3% Burley around 5%, dark air closer to 6%, bidi tobacco around 7%, rustica around 8+ genetic possibility.

All these varieties lower if grown without enough nitrogen.

You'll find very few bright leafs that average 3%. Virginia gold types are generally around 1.5%. One of the reasons I like African Red so much is because it is one of the highest nicotine bright leafs I've found yet (2.98%) that is also a reliable heavy producer. Burley Red tips can average 5% but most burleys will be between 3 - 4%. Higher nitrogen will increase nicotine but will also cause the plants to stay green longer and can make curing a bitch. Also, leaves from near the tops tend to have more nicotine than lower leaves. And the older a leaf gets, the more nic it acquires. Lots of variables. I think grin takes a sample from a mid leaf when its ripe to obtain an average, but I'm really not sure. It's a good question to ask Jessica.

ArizonaDave

''

****Historically the Columbian natives used this tobacco for chewing. However, this tobacco is not recommended for chewing as it is much stronger than any commercially available chewing varieity. We do not recommend this for chewing.''
So has anyone know which Nicotine level is correct ??

<tbody>
</tbody>

Heck, I'd chew it! I wonder what Dark Air of Don's tobacco runs?
But, I'd agree with skychaser, there are higher varieties. No, I wouldn't make tea, but I'd try to blend it.

LIBERTYCHICKEN

Thank you skychaser

But since it's so low on nicotine I wont even try/grow it, But I will be making a order from you soon

Are the varietys you listed above going to available as seed this year ? ? ?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I should have said up to instead of about, as they almost never get as high as those numbers but some within that class do that bring overall average about that number.

But if you are shopping by strength then that would still be the list. Bright < burley < dark etc.

And if going by the grin remember Jessica mentioned that the grin went thru and purged high nic varieties some time ago.

LIBERTYCHICKEN

I should have said up to instead of about, as they almost never get as high as those numbers but some within that class do that bring overall average about that number.

But if you are shopping by strength then that would still be the list. Bright < burley < dark etc.

And if going by the grin remember Jessica mentioned that the grin went thru and purged high nic varieties some time ago.

Realy they purged high nicotine varietys ? ? ? Why ..........

Are they even still listed on the site (grin) ? ? ? , I actually have some (2 or 3) off the top nicotine producers currently listed on the grin

I like dark dark tobacco with a massive nicotine hit any suggestions ? ? ? , Im also very interested in the high Nornicotine varietys is anything even available from traditional sources ? ? ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Most varieties will produce high-nicotine leaf at the top of the plant. Top just below the bud head, then allow the top 3 or 4 leaves to remain on the plant as long as possible. When left to mature, the tip leaf of most plants will take on a deep, angry green, with pronounced rumpling of the surface, and continue that way until you save them from the first frost. (Don't allow any suckers to emerge.) Such tip leaf, after curing (often requiring 9 or 10 months to fully color-cure) and kilning for a month, is usually a deep maduro to oscuro, and so strong that I can only add a half of a small leaf to the blend of a large cigar. It's thick and oily and leathery. A perfect tobacco condiment.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
you can sort by alkaloids, the nornic types are still there for whatever reason you might want it. search inactive comes up with y1 so i assume all the listings remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.