Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Whole lotta shakin' going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shundahai

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]Well now, that was fun. I woke up this morning at around 3:20 am, just one of those things ya know...as I was getting ready to drop back to sleep things started to shake, rattle, and roll. 6.1 earthquake centered about 16 miles south of me. Got out of bed to take a look around and make sure nothing was busted up, no damage here at my place, but it did cause some damage, fires, and injuries in and around Napa. It was a pretty good rollie coaster ride here for about 1/2 minute [/FONT]:eek:

Shundahai

I've been through a couple of major quakes over the years here in Cali, and at least a couple of times a year there's one in my area large enough to feel. Usually, ya just kinda shrug because it's *only* an earthquake. The one this morning got my attention though.

Brown Thumb

Good thing your OK. I have been waiting for that state to go in the sea. That's what thy use to say.
Makes for a bad hair day when I get woke up on too early.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Glad you're ok. 6.1 Mw may be fun for you but think the bigger ones. In '99 we had two strong earthquakes in 3 months one of them was 7.2 Mw other one was 7.5 Mw.
One or two days before the 7.2 we had an approx. 6 Mw earthquake. It was shaking the building like a craddle, slowly. My son said that it was fun. And after few days, while we were having the 7.2, I saw him trying to shelter under the sofa. The height of the sofa from the floor was not higher than 6-7 inches.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Doesn't the continent sail in the wrong direction to get those kinds of quakes out east? I figured west was in the crumple zone and east got the kind made by the general moving and relaxing of the continent on the opposite end of the driving band.

istanbulin

Founding Member
There's a well known saying "Earthquakes don't kill people, buildings do".

After the earthquake I remember a lot of scientists comparing North Anatolian and San Andreas faults and as I recall these zones show many similarities in many aspects.

kaf_saf.jpg

Was that one today on the same zone with the 1906 earthquake ?

Shundahai

There's a well known saying "Earthquakes don't kill people, buildings do".

True. Here, our building codes are written with earthquakes in mind, and they work pretty well. Of course, nothing is earthquake proof, but it does mitigate the damage considerably.

Was that one today on the same zone with the 1906 earthquake ?

No, yesterday's quake was on the West Napa fault, one of the many sub faults of the San Andreas. The 1906 quake was on the main line of the San Andreas and centered some 30-40 miles south of the Napa quake.

Shundahai

This image shows Tomales Bay, about 20 miles west of me. It is, in fact, the San Andreas fault filled with water where it angles off into the ocean. The land on the left side of the bay (east shore) is the North American plate, and the land on the right (west shore) is the Pacific plate.

. tomales.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.