Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

who the heck

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

I gotta take a better picture. That one didn't look that dark on my phone.

DIY Pete

I love the dark picture because you can't see all the wrinkles in the wrapper.

Pete

Indianamac

webmost

Pete and I aim at similar blends. He goes for in your face, where I go behind your back; but it's a similar direction. His blend # 2 is another example. In this blend he cranked the mata fina down half a leaf and the ligero up half a leaf. I would have cranked the one down and left the other alone. For that matter, I would have started with a more neutral base to let the flavors shine.
DIY2.jpg

This one does not appear to have been molded, as there are no mold marks and it has a taper. Veins are knobby. Both head and foot are softer than the middle. Draw is easy. Unlit aroma eluded me because I had just sprayed Off to keep the skeeters away. The leaf has a velvety feel. Lit up better than #1. Smooth chocolate retro. Flavor off the charts.

I tell you I don't think we can give Don enough credit. These cigars can match any expensive premium for tobacco flavor. I speak as one who has a humidor chock full of eight buck sticks. Our southern neighbors may have a leg up on us in terms of experience and skill; but we have just as tasty ingredients to use. If a fellow could practise up to roll pretty and had the patience to box his stuff up to age a year or two he could go head to head with any number of premium sticks.

Another thing...

Now, brothers, don't be put off if I review Pete's cigars higher than yours. It's all a matter of taste after all.

webmost

Pete, this blend #2 had the same wrapper, but burnt much better. The cherry did not sink like the #1 did. On the other hand, it went out suddenly mid way thru. Relit fine, though, and burnt on down to a hot nub. Hated to put it in the numb jar. I like your work.

DIY Pete

Pete, this blend #2 had the same wrapper, but burnt much better. The cherry did not sink like the #1 did. On the other hand, it went out suddenly mid way thru. Relit fine, though, and burnt on down to a hot nub. Hated to put it in the numb jar. I like your work.

I'm glad you liked it. A couple things about the construction. I did put it in the mold but I got it rolled a little smaller (ring gage) than intended so consider the mold as a place holder while I rolled the rest. I think the better burn can most likely be attributed to the tighter roll but that is just a guess. It could also be my use of a double binder. I'm thinking that the double binder and the wrapper end up making a "thick" shell that the cherry has to burn through. I will do my next set with a single binder to see if that makes a difference.

I have a couple more blends I want to try with the leaf I have on hand that will be more in the medium range.

I also whole heartily agree about the quality of the leaf from Don. Makes it pretty easy to roll something that taste good.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.