Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Help! Need Info about mold...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike

As a new poster I would appreciate a little advise.... I recently purchased, hydrated, and prepared a pound of Don's Aleman tobacco to play with. I must have got it a little too wet and now there appears to be little white/ discolorations popping up on leaf's surface in random patterns, especially in darker areas apparently because of the higher sugar content- I assume that is mold. I have immediately sifted through and removed those leaves, set aside, and allowed my container to dry out considerably. My question, for those of you more experienced (and with type of leaf,) How do I proceed ? Do I need to discard affected leaves (hope not) can they be dried out, scraped, anything else to avoid negative issues when smoking? Areas of leaf at present are small and somewhat contained.... not rampant and completely covering surfaces.... Please advise as I haven't encountered this before in my preparations to roll.... I LOVE the Aleman flavor and wish to use as much as possible, should I be concerned??

Thx....:eek:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Your are correct in concluding that the mold has been the result of storing the leaf in too high a case.

Here's what I would suggest you do with "minimally" affected leaf. Mix a solution of 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water. Lightly mist the affected leaves, and allow them to dry. The acetic aroma will dissipate, and the lower pH will inhibit mold growth.

Bob

Gdaddy

My suggestion for next time would be only hydrate the leaves your going to use that day. Leave the rest of the leaves remain as dry as they came from Whole leaf. This applies not only to the Aleman but all your leaf should remain dry (lower case) until use.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

Another solution is to bring the leaves into medium case (damp and elastic) and wipe the mold off. Them either use the leaves as wrapper or allow them to dry and use them for binder or filler...or let them dry and return them to storage.

VAMike

Thanks to Don as well as the others that posted suggestions...I am glad that there is something I can do to correct situation.... I thought that the leaves were dry enough before closing but I guess the volume and, more so, the weight of stack in that state caught up with me. I will try recommendations until completely resolved. I think the vinegar/water mix is interesting, as that is a new one for me, and I will experiment to correct- as I was gonna be very upset to lose that leaf!!

Status
Not open for further replies.