Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

ok here goes, my first order in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

just placed my first order with sustainable seed co. heres my list with its suggested use by SSC.
CT broadleaf - wrapper
Cuban Criollo 98 -binder
Havana 608 - filler/binder
Little Dutch -filler /wrapper
Long Red -filler/binder/wrapper
Vuelta Abajo -wrapper

I figure I can mix and match 3 potential fillers ,3 binders and 4 wrappers or even try a puro Long Red or experiment . I use square foot gardening method , have for years and its going to be easier to keep a set size box plot of each tobacco.I'm thinking 4 x 4=16 plants in each box...maybe try stretching it out to 5 x 5=25 per box .I dont want to overcrowd them too much. I can't wait for next season.
I think I may have to go out and till up more garden space ...
As I sit here and reread my list I can't help but think(and hope) that a cigar with Havana 608 filler,Cuban Criollo 98 binder and wrapper of Vuelta Abajo will be my first attempt of a blend stick. an Illinois all"Cuban" cigar...could be interesting.
now to design my own bands.....hmmmm.

I garden ,therefore I am

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have found that in a deeply dug garden bed, a 5' x 6' area will properly support 8 full-size plants, in a staggered pattern. With Little Dutch, I would plant 12 for the same area. As you can see from my grow logs of the past few years, all my tobacco is planted into 5' x 12' or 5' X 6' beds. I allow 3.75 ft[sup]2[/sup] per full size plant and 2.5 ft[sup]2[/sup] per plant for Little Dutch. Any denser planting (except for small Orientals) results in decreased productivity and smaller leaves.

The 5' wide beds allow excellent access to the plants. Wide grass lanes separate my beds.

Bob

EDIT: garden maps: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/481-deluxestogie-Grow-Log-2012

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
One thing, I notice most new to the hobby talk about wrapper, binder, or filler leaf varieties myself included. Any of them can be anything, your choice. I only mention this so you don't plant less of a wrapper variety thinking you'll need so much less, because you might find you love a cigar stuffed full of wrapper bound with a filler type.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Also of note, home-grown wrapper usually yields between 1/3 and 2/3 wrapper-grade leaves. The rest is anything from binder-grade (a few tears and holes) to filler--everything else.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.