Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Brown Thumbs attempt to make Perique out of Perique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I have read and read a out this stuff, little info.
But took my gatherings from it all and came up with what I am trying.
First Stalk harvested then let leaves color, Stem still wet and harvested leaves.
image.jpg
I then put the leaf into the barrel, bucket. The Leaf was in high case it rained overnight.
But from what I read they spray the leaf to bring it into case. I was a little confused so I misted the leaf as I layered it lightly. Jeesh it must take 250 plants to fill one of there barrels.
image.jpgimage.jpg
Ok now I need a plug for the top. Amermens sawmill is closed on Sunday.
I am going to Al's to get the press he gave me he might have some thick oak.
He did, but my saw zaw is at work and my kid broke my good blades for the jigsaw.
Used what I had to make a plug and never finished it the chainsaw ran out of gas.
I bee drink king I don't drive then.
image.jpg
Just waiting for a plug, home depot Tommorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 61

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It looks right. That press is convincing. (You may need to reinforce the bolts holding the square base, since it will have just as much strain as the cast bar at the top.) In 3 months, you'll have enough fine Perique to last a lifetime.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Heh heh on the plug. Looks more like a rotary skill chain saw tried that. How do do you think spiral stairs are built. Those are outside cuts, inside are tough. I like the shit out of your press. 1 word- BANDSAW

Brown Thumb

I started with a worn out jig saw blade I found. My son broke the good ones, I will give him credit for informing me on the way home that we have none. Local store was closed. I burned my way thru 3/4 thickness About 3/4 around before it broke.

Brown Thumb

I started with a worn out jig saw blade I found. My son broke the good ones, I will give him credit for informing me on the way home that we have none. Local store was closed. I burned my way thru 3/4 thickness About 3/4 around before it broke.

BarG

Founding Member
A standard 6" height by 14"throat wood band saw would be a piece of cake for that plug, you could even bevel to match the bucket. Jigsaw blades don't like bottoming out due to the reciprocating action, sawzawls just aren't as up to the task either without expert expertise., You should have called.:cool:

BarG

Founding Member
Give that squirell another beer and put it to work. It could probably power your kiln for a 12 pack a month.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You'll only need to squeeze down until you see juices expressed from the leaf. No need for mega-pressure. You can get it started (to get some idea of the height of the compressed leaf, when sizing the follower plug) by putting a second bucket inside, on top of the leaf, and filling that second bucket with water--comes to about 40 pounds.

Bob

Brown Thumb

Well Got some blades, what a difference. Plug done and installed.
I see no juices but will let it rest and give her another turn or two later.
It squished down to a 1/4 bucket. Perique is one sticky leaf.
Hurry up an wait now. I can still try to break the bucket. NA.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Brown Thumb

You'll only need to squeeze down until you see juices expressed from the leaf. No need for mega-pressure. You can get it started (to get some idea of the height of the compressed leaf, when sizing the follower plug) by putting a second bucket inside, on top of the leaf, and filling that second bucket with water--comes to about 40 pounds.

Bob
Thanks Bob, Good Idea. I just stood in the other bucket and it squashed it pretty good to give me the idea for Dia. needed. Pretty much the Dia of the bottom.

DGBAMA

I am thinking that if you can't get enough pressure to expel a little liquid the leaf is too dry and you should add a little more moisture to the leaf. When liquid seeps past the plug you can be assured that the fermentation will be anaerobic.

Brown Thumb

I am thinking that if you can't get enough pressure to expel a little liquid the leaf is too dry and you should add a little more moisture to the leaf. When liquid seeps past the plug you can be assured that the fermentation will be anaerobic.
I pulled the plug earlier after no juices. The Leaf was almost as dry as Mads soil. The leaf was tough to get out, it was compressed good. Took it all out and separated and sprayed it down good again. Now I got Black Gold oozing.image.jpgimage.jpg

DGBAMA

I have a pile of sub-standard leaf building up, I plan on starting a perique when harvest is done. Not the best way to go I am sure, but nothing to loose, the goal is to see if something good can come from what would otherwise be thrown away.

Brown Thumb

Heck Gumbo Perique sounds good. Until my buddy offered me the press I was going to make a 12x12x12 box and jack up Jacobs Trans am and set the rear wheels on top of them for pressure. He won't be driving for a few years yet

Status
Not open for further replies.