Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

prepping air cured leaf for storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

Don't know if this is a good idea or not but it makes sense, so here goes.....

54 strings of leaf, crammed in the chamber. Going to bring to 130 or so and vent like hell until rh drops below 10%, which should ensure stems are absolutely dry and any spores that might even think about growing are killed. When it comes back into low case, it will be boxed for storage.

14096171701330.jpg
14096172306541.jpg

Brown Thumb

As long as them Stems are Crispy Dry at the top You should be good to go. I went straight into ziplocks last yr. lost one bag to mold. GrFinny found it.
I use the horse method and instead of untying the string I just snap all three stems off below the string.
If one stem gives me a hard time I set it aside too wet. It has Only has happened a few times.
That is a chamber full of leaf. I thought I packed mine tight.
I hope it turned out good.

DGBAMA

The air curing has gone well. Once cooked dry and brought back to low case, it will go in plastic totes for kilning then storage.

We had rain today so leaf was medium case. Had to shove the door closed to fit it all in. Humidity gets crazy around here, so I figure a short cycle to ensure 100% dry is good insurance before storage.

DGBAMA

I am really liking the aluminum wire, fast to string and it is a once and done until time to process the leaf. No need to string, cure, tie to hands, etc.

DGBAMA

The carpet under the leaf in the first pic is 6.5ft square, so yes, a bunch of leaf.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Although kiln temps inhibit vegetative growth of mold, it doesn't come close to killing the spores. They're everywhere anyway, so it's all about conditions.

If the stems are completely dried, they absorb moisture much more slowly than the lamina. So you can bring the leaf back into case enough to handle and pack it, without the stems becoming damp again.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I have never had a problem hanging cured leaf in a shed comepletely enclosed with a window kept cracked open year round, or boxes and bags in a low humidity environment. No bugs , no mold just aging leaf. That leaf you have hanging looks real good, your system worked for you.

DGBAMA

I have never had a problem hanging cured leaf in a shed comepletely enclosed with a window kept cracked open year round, or boxes and bags in a low humidity environment. No bugs , no mold just aging leaf. That leaf you have hanging looks real good, your system worked for you.

A few questionable spots had shown up at the stem bases, figured a quick dry cycle in the kiln was cheap insurance before storing.

BarG

Founding Member
If you tie into hands and the stems aren't comepletly dry you could get some mold there in that area. I haven]t tied any of mine this year yet. I have all my bezuki and dixie shade in the kiln for a while yet and have been putting everything else in bags an boxes till I clear out my shed from last years grow. I like to leave them hanging for a year, convienience for me.

Gmac

I use a double string and 4 inch by 1/2 inch diamater stick to hang tobacco. It's the fastest method I've found.
Just insert the stick between the paralell strings and fold over once, when it gets too tight over a long span just reverse the fold over direction. I have a video, could email a link to anyone interested.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I use a double string and 4 inch by 1/2 inch diamater stick to hang tobacco. It's the fastest method I've found.
Just insert the stick between the paralell strings and fold over once, when it gets too tight over a long span just reverse the fold over direction. I have a video, could email a link to anyone interested.

Can you post some pictures or the video? Click the film icon at the top of the Post Box to post a video, click the framed picture icon to post pictures.

Welcome to the forum Gmac.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I too am interested in that process Knucks. I found a way that works just fine, but I'm still always looking to learn more.

vinconco

Electric fence wire is much faster. Just pierce the leaf and slide it onto the wire. I strung about 5000 leaves this way this year and trying to futz around twisting them between two strings would have taken FOREVER. If you only have about 5 plants then ..... maybe.

when this pic was taken I had about 30 strings with 150 leaves per string.

Matty

.045" stainless welding wire for me. I get leftover lengths from work. Doesn't rust and I can reuse it. I keep my homegrown hung like this till I'm ready for it. The rack in the picture is in my bathroom where the washer and dryer would go. Leaf goes in and out of case with every shower.

Attachments

• 2014-11-18 00.50.29.jpg
    2014-11-18 00.50.29.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 29

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I stalk cure most of my tobacco but when I prime I use wire. However; the absolute quickest way to string is with a stringing horse. The only problem is the stringing horse method is best for flue curing because of the tight spacing. I've used my stringing horse several times but have always feared mold due to the close spacing of the leaves. So far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.