Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Prepper Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
As the name suggests. I am starting this thread after I had a thought. If I no longer had the means to get tube or rolling papers, How could I roll quick cigarettes with what is available and at hand. So, I thought about using the same method of leaf rolling as you would use for cigars. Here is how I imagine it...

First I'd grow the cig varieties of fluecured, burley, and oriental and get them cured up nice. I would also grow a binder and wrapper variety but not necessarly a cigar variety.

I age or kiln the baccy then at that point is when I would shred it but if I don't have a shedder then what? I usually add my casing after shredding but in this case I think I would add a honey water solution to the whole leaf and roast them then bring them back into order again and use the whole leaf using one of the cigar methods of bundling to roll.

The binder and wrapper I think I would ferment to get that elasticity. Not that that is priority or anything but it might be nice to 'stretch' the binder or wrapper around the baccy.

I've been playing around with making my own glues and I have yet to try to make homemade pectin, which can be made by boiling unripe fruit. Starch can be gotten from corn or potatoes. I recently made a glue with 1 tbsp of corn starch, 2 tbsp of pectin, and 1/2 cup water, brought it to a boil and it geled up real nice. I tried smearing some on paper and glue two peices together and let it set over night. It created an exceptional bond. Anyway, a bit of experementing needed for that on the homemade version.

So in blending the tobacco, I was thinking of cutting strips porportionate to the percentage of blend. If the cig is to be about 4 inches long then I would cut just a little longer. Just to make it simple as I do not know how thick 10" of tobacco would be rolled up but I will use that here to demonstrate my idea. If fluecure is to make up 60% of the blend then I would cut a 6" by 4.5" peice of FC baccy, 40% burley so 4" by 4.5" peice of burley, then 10% oriental, then 1" by 4.5 " peice of oriental (these have all been cased and roasted and brought to right order)These would be folded into them selves and then wrapped.

For wrapping, I was even thinking of cutting peices between the veins of the leaf so you could have a nice smooth vein free wrapper.

I might even use cotton for a filter, it's possible.

Anyway, that an idea I had for an "end of civilisation" cigarette. I guess if all else fails, I could fall back onto my pipe but I do like my cigs so I must try. And try I will and I will post pics and discoveries here as I cross it.

Will

BarG

Founding Member
Whatever, whenever, just do it. It sounds like you are going to a lot of work. Make a chaw , and you'll have peoples beateing down your door in Canada.

That whatever whenever just do it is a famous old saying I just made up.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Just use a pipe!.. if the time comes. BarG makes a good point about making a chaw. If things get bad enough for zombies to be roaming the earth the last thing you want to do is attract people (or zombies) to your house. The smell of cigarette smoke would lead them right in. Learn to make some good tasting chew... and smoke a pipe. After you pick up all the zombies that you've shot you'll have a little free time to then roll your own ciggies.

I played around years ago with rolling ciggies from scraps of tobacco leaf. They looked pretty cool but man are they labor intensive when you think about the fact that you can stuff 20 ciggies in a Top-O-Matic in about 5 minutes.

For starters, why not buy a year's supply of tubes and store them in an airtight/watertight container? That way you'll have a year to fine tune your method.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah I'd just make a good chew.. Then your lungs still work if you need to run from those zombies!:)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Flue-cured Virginias (or even Orientals) can be rolled like a cigar into a tiny blunt, using a nice, elastic flue-cured leaf segment for wrapper.

The problem that all of us would have to confront is that, if all goes to Hell, we won't have any electricity to power any of our clever devices (never mind for cooking food). (Maybe rustycase's personal hydroelectric project could help us out here.)

Electric generators? No fuel. Better think about wind or solar.

It would be back to a wood shed with a wood stove for flue-curing.

Bob

squeezyjohn

Absolutely Bob ... I tend to think that all these "prepare" "shtf" scenario things are a little far fetched. But when I consider it seriously ... the first thing to go is electricity surely ... even if you're on solar or wind-turbine ... once something goes wrong with your equipment you're unlikely to be able to get that technology back up and running if there's no industry and infrastructure.

So when I think about this ... I'm thinking about energy that is primarily from wood burning and that's it! Absolutely no reason why you couldn't cure tobacco in that scenario given that it was done on a yearly basis without electricity in the 1800s.

When I think this way - I think about simply being sustainable with the resources available to me. It governs the way I currently cure my baccy - and I can get what I need in a scenario that is pretty much off-grid for the most part.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, there are not enough trees on planet earth to provide energy for the current human population. The Latakia industry, and the building of a single railroad left Syria nearly devoid of trees. A photo from the 1950s of the "Cedars of Lebanon" showed the remaining stand--fewer than about 50 trees. Most of the trees that most of us see on a daily basis are growing in lines that are one tree deep. Not promising.

Bob

rustycase

IMO

the ciggies are a mass production BIG tobacco kinda thing...

Learn how to roll cigarillos or stogies for personal, and prepper trading.
Homedistiller.org is valuable information.
rc

Always grow your veggies to seed so there are some for the next year.

chillardbee

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prepper but my wife and I want to homestead at some point which could be construde as being a prepper but I like to think of it as simplification of life and getting back to the basics. Cigars, pipes, and chew are good and I'd make those too but I what effen cigarette Dammit when I want it. :D

Most of this is just experimenting to see how it all works out. Bobs blunt Idea was something I was thinking about before. The nice thing about rolling your own cigs is that I could make them as long as I want so they last longer and maybe I smoke fewer of them through a day.

Not to change the topic on the Prepper cig idea I have but those who are living off the grid on land raising their own meat and veg will be the best prepared but they are living a good life already as it were. These guys you see on the TV show "preppers" that are city slickers that have cache of crap buried around the city, I have to say that isn't my idea of being prepared, well, unless those caches consisted of crates of 100 carton of cigs each. But realisticly, Tobacco may be sought more for it's appettite suppression at a time when food is scarce.

Anyway, once my baccy crop is done curing for this year and I got some ready, I'll be rolling some of my cigs to see how they fair. Actually, I was thinking of also rolling a couple of packs of 6" and smoking them through a day to see how many I would go through. I think I'll need less with them being longer and filterless.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bobs blunt Idea was something I was thinking about before.
Many of my comments are blunt. I had to go back and read my post to realize you were talking about the noun.

There are over-sized cigarette finger rollers that will make a blunt. But I found it easier to roll a blunt by hand.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The problem you will have if the SHTF is that if you have chickens, pigs, a wood stove etc. It will be like a magnet for the low lifes to come and steal from you and probably kill you too. Better have an arsenal along with your chickens.

LIBERTYCHICKEN

reconstituted tobacco - Sounds like a fairly eazy product to manfacture, Tobbaco contains its own peptin source but it's not water soluble untill it's treated with a base , Same procedure to extract peptin from crab apples can be modyfied with a base (hardwood ash leach) to produce its now water soluble peptin and a tobbaco paste

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Well, having thought this out... Just enough for maybe 100 people. Most people are lazy so when the SHTF they will go to the local gym/shelter etc to get their free bed and food via some type of gov't assistance. There will be a small percentage of people that will roam the countryside looking to take whatever they want. You only need enough ammo for this small group for about 3 weeks or so. After a few weeks they will have starved to death or gone back to the city. Not to get too graphic (but I will). If you were to shoot the first dozen or so looters and pile their bodies up like cord-wood outside your homestead it would probably go a long way to having other looters steer clear of your place... unless of course they see your tobacco patch

chillardbee

I should of call this thread "The homesteader cig". Apart from the multiple senarios one could play out in shtf or eotwawki, all i'm trying to do is see if I can make cigs in a practical fashion without having to purchase anything or use modern conveniances.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
reconstituted tobacco - Sounds like a fairly eazy product to manfacture, Tobbaco contains its own peptin source but it's not water soluble untill it's treated with a base , Same procedure to extract peptin from crab apples can be modyfied with a base (hardwood ash leach) to produce its now water soluble peptin and a tobbaco paste
Perhaps you're thinking of pectin, as in thickener/glue. Peptin is a proteolytic enzyme.

Bob

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I cut the leaf from the veins and fill a thumb roller then add the leaf at an angle. I use tapioca for the glue. I do a dollar bill role the same way. Fun post.

Status
Not open for further replies.