Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Guy From CA Bay Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender86

Hi, I came from PSF after receiving a message suggesting I check this place out. I love English blends and flakes, and I am here to learn about blending. Stephen Books gave me a 40 minute run-down of blending over the phone, and I've been reading PSF extensively for some time. I have a five pound order from Whole Leaf Tobacco coming soon, and 4oz of Perique from CupOJoes. I went with some Maryland as WLT had no Burley in stock. I want to blend up a solid traditional English, and my dad likes Camel Wides, so I'm also looking to create a full flavor cigarette blend for him. For my first blend I'm thinking 50% Perique/50% Latakia. Kidding! Probably closer to 25% Latakia, 6-7% Perique, 25% red Virginia, 25% bright yellow Virginia, then Maryland or Burley for the rest. Who knows. Just an insomniac's rough estimate.

Oh, and does anyone know how to set-up the profile avatar?

POGreen

Welcome to Fair Trade Tobacco and hope you'll like your stay here with us !

Go to Settings
On the left hand side you see Your settings and also Change Avatar

Hit Change Avatar and choose one of the options Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website:
Option 2 - Upload Image From Your Computer:
Choose either options to find Your Avatar and choose Save changes after that and you should be good to Go I think.
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/4772-Avatar?highlight=avatar

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, Blender. Here's my theory on the role of Perique in an English-style pipe blend.

Flue-cured tobaccos are acidic, so straight Virginias tend to cause tongue bite, and reduce the absorption of nicotine by the membranes of the mouth and nasopharynx. Perique is much more alkaline, and will reduce or eliminate the Virginia tongue bite, and will also increase nicotine absorption.

My sense is that Perique proportions in the range of 1/2 to 1 part per part of Virginia (depending on the Perique and the Virginia) is the sweet spot. This is regardless of the addition of Orientals. Purchasing Perique is a bit pricey at these proportions, but Perique is relatively straightforward to make at home, and can be made from some of the Maryland that you've ordered.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/2873-Really-Easy-Perique-Press

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3926-Pure-Tobacco-Pipe-Blends-You-Can-Make

Bob

Blender86

Awesome! You guys have no idea how much I appreciate all the support! I got tired talking about blending and never doing it, so I finally took the plunge. The technique on adding Perique is priceless! I was going to add it last to be around 5 percent of the blend, but sorta making a Va/Per and THEN adding it to the blend seems more logical. Thank you for that Bob :)

Status
Not open for further replies.