Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What Would Be Your Advice To A New Blender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender86

I have in the mail:
1lb Flue cured VA red leaf
1lb Turkish/Oriental Izmir
1lb Maryland 609
1lb flue cured VA lemon
1lb Latakia
4oz Perique

Considering this, and wanting to go with English blends, what are some dos and don'ts? I've been told that 25% Latakia is a good starting point, 5-10% Perique, and VAs and Burleys are a good base to start from, too much Burley can overpower other components, Orientals & Latakia & Perique are condiments. Some of my favorite blends are H&H Ambassador's Blend, London Blend #1000, Sutliff Sunrise Smoke, Drew Estate Meat Pie, etc... oh, and the careful consideration of 220/220 stoving method to sweeten bite. Expect free samples in a month or two :) For my first English, I'm doing it normal ribbon cut, then duplicating it yet pressing it into a flake for the second blend. Aaannd a pasta shredder from a department store.

smokinghole

What is the 220/220 stoving method?

The orientals can be more than a condiment in your blends. I made deluxestogie's warspur which has a nice percentage of oriental. I actually plan on using the same recipe and making it into a plug so I can cut flakes for myself.

Blender86

220F for 2hrs and 20 minutes. G.L. Pease talks about it, but I heard about it from a thread on PSF. Some people will take a blend, sealed in the tin, take off the plastic lid leaving the seal intact, and put it in the oven. Apparently flat tins will pop their seal, while tall 8oz etc are LESS likely to do so. I'd experiment with it right now if I hadn't been up all night.

If I remember right, a high oriental blend is a Balkan?

Status
Not open for further replies.