Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Red Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

BT, you are so close. Maybe try "toasting" a sample of your flue cured at the higher finishing temp supposed to produce "red" and see if it changes color & flavor.

Maybe 175-180 deg.

Brown Thumb

BT, you are so close. Maybe try "toasting" a sample of your flue cured at the higher finishing temp supposed to produce "red" and see if it changes color & flavor.

Maybe 175-180 deg.
I think I can spare a little. The wife is outside doing her chores I can use the oven when she ain't around. How long 20 min?

Brown Thumb

I just took both out of the oven and they still have a different smell.
I will roll a few and let the Closet Smoker tell me the diff. I will try one also or two.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I just finished making some Virginia Red. I put some of Don's Brightleaf into the kiln and let it run for 6 hours at 190 degrees F. I'll have to dig out some of Don's Red that I have in storage. For now, it looks just like Virginia Red. Tomorrow I'll shred it and smoke it.

Brown Thumb

She liked Dons over mine. I guess it has to age? Mine was too strong or more nic she staggered away with a buzz.

Bex

I've read so much during the past couple of weeks, that much is a blur, but I do seem to remember information about bringing the temps over that 165F...Dah, found it, here:
http://pureleaf.co.uk/flue-cured/3-red-virginia-flue-cured.html
If the above link is accurate info, they are advising that it's the same stuff, but only processed differently, hotter, etc. As the Red that I have purchased is usually machine harvested, it is crushed to bits, and hard to see what the size of the leaves are, but I do think that they tend to be a bit smaller than the brightleaf I get. So perhaps, if that's the case, maybe it is the upper leaves AND the hotter temps that give it the color and kick...???

Brown Thumb

I just finished making some Virginia Red. I put some of Don's Brightleaf into the kiln and let it run for 6 hours at 190 degrees F. I'll have to dig out some of Don's Red that I have in storage. For now, it looks just like Virginia Red. Tomorrow I'll shred it and smoke it.
Somehow we will figure this out. My the force be with us.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've read so much during the past couple of weeks, that much is a blur, but I do seem to remember information about bringing the temps over that 165F...Dah, found it, here:

Or perhaps from the #2 post in this thread?

" As far as I know, Red Virginia is regular Brightleaf that has been flue cured but instead of the final temperature (stem drying phase) being about 165F it is raised to above 185F. This partially caramelizes the sugars, turning the leaf red and giving the leaf it's tangy flavor. I am not positive about the 185 number though because I thought caramelization in tobacco leaf began at somewhere near 230f. Maybe it should be 185C? "

Brown Thumb

I figured it would be easier just to chuck a stick back in I unloaded yesterday morning back into the Chamber.
The stick has 4 types on it. Bright Leaf, Del Gold, Bonanza, and Hickory Prior I think.
I would have more accurate control of temps and humidity in the chamber.
How long do you guys think 8 hrs. like DGB said?

DGBAMA

Since you have that nice controller, how about 1deg/hr ramp, starting at 165 (I presume your normal stem kill final temp) and ending at 185.?

Brown Thumb

Well I just finished also. 9 hrs. 190 to 195 temps. 18% rh.I brought her up slowly over a hr. the stick was in medium case.The sticks were pretty much the same from the last run. This is the difference. Crappy pic but it will I give you a idea.image.jpgEach type of leaf came out different.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 39

Brown Thumb

Still does not smell like Dons, I will give it a try with the leaf I still have out in the field. A couple of sticks start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.