Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wrapper Stained During Re-Hydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebrylinski

Banned
Im having a issue when I go to get my wrappers ready for rolling. They have are "staining" and makes the finished product look weird.
Im simply spraying some water in a bag of tobacco and letting it sit overnight before rolling.
See the attached photo. There are small dark spots everywhere on the leaf.
Any thoughts?

photo.jpg

squeezyjohn

That looks to me as if it's got too wet in patches ... I know the tobacco needs to be in very high case to roll as a wrapper - but it would be best if the liquid water was not directly applied to the leaf. If you have access to a bigger bag - try putting the leaf down one end and place some damp kitchen towel or wet material in the other end ... that way only the vapour will get in to the leaf ... not whole patches of liquid water.

webmost

Happens to me exactly like that. The dampen the bag theory sounds good if you say it fast -- except I need a wet patch on the rolling board to stretch the wrapper out on. Otherwise, it never unkinks and lays flat; especially on the outer edges. You see these rolling vids where they whip out a super flat leaf. How they got it so super flat is a mystery.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Judging from the kinked veins in your photo, the leaf has not fully hydrated. With thin wrapper, just misting it lightly will allow it to be ready for rolling within about 1 minute. For thicker wrapper (say, CT Broadleaf), mist it lightly, then allow it to rehydrate overnight in a Ziplock. I agree with all the above comments, that those are simply wet spots, which will dry if allowed to. If store for more than 2 or 3 days like that, it will mold.

Be sure to check out the Key Thread in the forum: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum.

Bob

jbohon

Mine look like that when I've just finished rolling them. I let them sit in a box of scrap cuttings for a day or two and they even right out.

Status
Not open for further replies.