Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Advice on harvest

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob .. I'm having a late season and it's been a cool summer. I'm in the middle of harvesting and the temps at night are in the high 40's and daytime under 70. Will stalk harvesting make color curing easier in cool temps? I'm already having to pile color my primed leaves.
The real limit is first frost. Any thing green, whether out in the field, or hanging inside an unheated shed, will freeze, and never amount to much. Last year, the evening before first frost, I primed the last of the leaf in the field, then hung it indoors, surrounded by plastic wrap (partly vented) to prevent it from drying too fast. This worked, but was a nuisance to manage.

As for color-curing being easier in cool temps with stalk-cut plants, I don't know the answer. Some varieties seem to cure more rapidly on the stalk, while others take longer on the stalk. Humidity in the shed plays a large role. Stalk-hung leaf seems to tolerate lower humidity without drying green than primed leaf. But even that seems to be variable.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.