Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Regional sub-sections ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIBERTYCHICKEN

Since the drying, cureing, ageing seems to be the most complicated part about growing/processing . And it can vary widely from region to region, A regional subsection seems to make sense to me .

Just a idea

THANK YOU

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
What is the issue you're having with curing?

It's a lot easier to correct a condition than to try to create a curing method based on your climate than to create a curing method specifically for your climate.

It would be helpful for everyone who might try to help if we knew what area you lived in. Please enter your location in your profile so we can offer comprehensive advice.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
FTT has members from around the world (from Sweden to South Africa; from the Philippines, New Zealand and Australia to Russian Mongolia, Egypt, Israel, Turkey, Greece, Slovenia, Slovakia, Germany, Portugal, UK and Ireland--as well as Central America, Mexico, Canada [from the Great Lakes to the Pacific] and the US from Vermont to California). Dividing the growing and curing and finishing forums into "regions" would render the forum unwieldy, at best.

FmGrowit's suggestion that you simply add your location to your profile would work best.

Bob

Matty

I'm gonna have to agree with FM and Deluxe. I'm in Canada (great lakes to the atlantic) and in the past 2 years of growing I've had to deal with almost every curing challenge, ie. too hot, too cold, too humid and too dry. Curing doesn't seem so much a regional issue as a climatic one and simply knowing how to adjust curing arrangements to overcome climatic conditions is all that is needed, in my opinion.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
WOW! You guys just blew My mind on simplicity! I take for granit, that all tobacco is cured the same as here.(not).. From My chair, The hard part, is to get the danged things to get to the harvest stage. Then it's down hill on the cure. This blog is so full of mind blowing ways it can go.. I'm going to roll a stick and - pull out the pipe and load it with some latakia, and think on this for a second.. Mad-

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Hah, yeah. Here one need only put it in the ground, weed and sucker. curing is a bitch though.

Yeah we don't need to dilute the knowledge base with categories based on territorial borders. I'm in Vermont trying to reproduce methods from Brazil and having the absolute best success so far. I'd never have thought to look in the South American forum for help for issues I faced in a totally different environment.

CT Tobaccoman

I'd agree with these other guys. It isn't the region that determines how tobacco is cured. It is the type of tobacco that it is. It's flue cured, air cured or fire cured. There are differences in fire curing, but it all depends on what kind of tobacco that it is. Conn Shade, for example, is cured the same way in Connecticut as it is in Ecuador, Honduras or anywhere else. You might have to make adjustments depending on the weather or climate but is always so. Knowing how long to fire, how much to re-fire, when curing is complete, what to do after curing--these are all things that are learned by experience, and there is plenty enough experiences in this forum to answer nearly any particular question.

The only reason that different regions employ different curing methods is that each tobacco region produces its own characteristic type of tobacco. When that type of tobacco is raised outside of it's usual region all the methods remain the same.

CT Tobaccoman

I'm in Canada (great lakes to the atlantic) an

Hi, Matty,

I just read that Quebec used to be a significant cigar tobacco growing region 100 years ago, and that there were many cigar factories and leaf warehouses in Montreal and elsewhere. Have you heard about this? Are there any remnants of tobacco cultivation still standing, like curing barns or the like? There must be good tobacco land there. The article suggested that the tobacco from Quebec province was for cigar filler, unlike the flue cured and burley grown in Ontario. The Finger Lakes region of New York State was also a cigar tobacco growing region at the same general time, late 19th and early 20th centuries, until the 1950s.

I traveled in Canada years ago--to Montreal several times and once to Newfoundland by car. Beautiful place, Canada, a real refreshing change from the States. I've heard that PEI was or is a tobacco growing region.

Charlie

LIBERTYCHICKEN

Ok I surely see how confussing a regional section could be , The site is already large

I have had 2 small harvests so far, First time I hole stalk harvested and hung in my garage, and would up with mold I wound up throwing away about 90% I could have saved more but If a leaf looked questonable I tossed it away.
Second harvested I primed and it dried very green , I have this hanging in my attaic now it's ben their for close to 2 years and it's still green

My location is new york / long island , Im about 1 mile from the water , so it's almost always very very humid hear. This time of year we hit the dew point nightly

This year I have 4 plants growing but I dought I will be able to harvest since I just transplanted about a week ago - I started the seeds in spring then got sick and negleted them so they are very stunted , I will likely harvest anyway before the killing frosts (late october/november) just as a learning trial

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i dont think the region has too much to do with things, unless your relieing on nature to do the job for you,,,

but its allways wise to be in control of the elements,,,,

have a crock pot for moisture, and some type of heater, for humid rainy days,,

im in control of the elements in my curing chamber, the chamber is enclosed, and in that enclosed area im in full control,

ArizonaDave

Regions can be found on line, as in seed planting zones. It's not all that hard anyway, except germination for the 1st time, they usually sprout fast.

The fastest one has been Sacred Cornplanter. Just started some in a cup last week, and is getting pretty big already.

I'd hate to bust up the whole team, because I've learned from all of them, especially from different regions!

I'd vote "no" for Regional sub-sections.

Bigdog

Good day LC, as all the old reliable members just sailed past your questions, I'm going to give it a shot. Your problem is'nt so much the region, but your control, you can stalk hang or prime as you wish, but then you have to hang your leaf in a place where you can control your exposure to the ambient conditions. For only 4 plants a old closet would work admirably, to lower your moisture content, you can open the closet after sunrise and close it before sunset, monitor closely as the plants should die slowly to alow the leaves to brown. Leaving your baccy open at night and closed during the day wil increase your moisture again, so you can play with that until you hit the spot. Introducing airflow via a fan or naturall wind wil speed up the process. Introducing heat wil speed up drying. Obviously you should also take note of your weather, rainy days wil dramaticaly increase moisture and sunny day should decrease moisture.

The leaves that you dried green wil never go brown, and I dont know of a use for it. This is not the right place for al this, please visit here:
http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/58-FAQ-for-Beginning-Growers
And here:
http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/100-Key-Threads-in-the-FTT-Forum

Then ask, ask and ask, we would love to make you into a tobacco farmer/tobacconist/happy smoker.

Woof!

Status
Not open for further replies.