Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar Holders

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Tobaccoman

I remember when I was a little kid in the 1950s that my grandfather had a brownish/clear plastic cigar holder. He would twist his Dutch Master or White Owl into it and light up--and right there is his living room in his favorite chair, and nobody even thought about complaining. A lost civilization. Cigar holders and cigarette holders seem to me like elegant artifacts of a long forgotten time, a better time in many ways than now, the new age of the puritanical barbarians.

Does anybody here use a cigar holder or a cigarette holder? I wonder if thy add to smoking pleasure or if they are just something that gets sticky and dirty fast. I suppose I could go out and buy a holder even now, or find one in a catalog, but first I'd like to find out if anybody has experience--good or bad--using holders.

Then there are those who chew on their cigars. I knew a guy once who used to chew Connecticut Broadleaf cigars. He would chomp off a couple inches at a time and chew and spit, then take another bite. That's not for me--I don't have enough teeth left to be able to chew tobacco. When I take a train I bring snuff. They can't stop me from using that yet.

But maybe a nice holder......?

Cigar

wow funny you mention that! my neighobors next door are from cuba they moved in abt 3-yrs ago they have 3-gens living there.real nice people to me the youngest all born and raised here.but the oldest man/women are old cigar-rollers speak no english. he [great grandpa] is 86yrs young and alway trying to point at my garden and tell what to do..but im clueless lol until the yougnest kids come-out and trys to translate to me even they dont understand half what he is saying lol..but he always wants some of my tobacco leaves that have half-way dried on the plants to "chew" he dont smoke at all but chews on dried tobacco leaves dankst thing i ever saw..but the pay-off is great for me..2-3 times a year his son comes to vist him and..lets say brings me early christmas gifts from certain areas:cool:

cigar

webmost

Consider that with a holder...

1) You miss out on the flavor you get rolling the head around in your mouth. I like to roll it as I puff. That's how you get the wrapper flavor.

2) You miss out on the stinkfinger. A real good oily cigar wrapper I'll be sniffling that stinkfinger the rest of the night.

I think a tasty wrapper, good stinkfinger, and a tasty morningmouth ought to be indluded in every cigar review. These are as important to enjoyment as construction, burn, and flavor.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the 1970s, I had several different cigar bits (holders). One was Turkish meerschaum. They do look elegant. Unfortunately, my experience with them for cigars is that it's like drinking a fine wine through a drinking straw. It does keep your white dress gloves clean--you do wear them, I'm sure--but the taste of the leaf is lost.

Unlike pipe tobacco, which I find to be not very enjoyable in the mouth, good cigar leaf is a pleasure.

Bob

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Opera glasses will go with that. I agree with webmost on the tips. I like to get the end all sloppy for the tast. Now Linda asked Me to get some wooden tips for Her. She said She likes the smoke, but not the burn from the tobacco. Now, for Me -I had to check into the burn thing of the leaf? So She was correct in the burn feel on the lip. I never thought of it untill She said such a proposterous thing to Me. I tast My glues. I study the smoke in the air as it floats and now the tips. And yes, I will roll a stick with some nice types just to chomp off the ends to chew. It blows folks minds when I do it after they say I can't smoke around the area. Tips are great for some sticks. I like them Myself. Butt I smoke a pipe all of the time as well as cigarettes and chew. Mad- Nice question CT....

ArizonaDave

I remember when I was a little kid in the 1950s that my grandfather had a brownish/clear plastic cigar holder. He would twist his Dutch Master or White Owl into it and light up--and right there is his living room in his favorite chair, and nobody even thought about complaining. A lost civilization. Cigar holders and cigarette holders seem to me like elegant artifacts of a long forgotten time, a better time in many ways than now, the new age of the puritanical barbarians.

Does anybody here use a cigar holder or a cigarette holder? I wonder if thy add to smoking pleasure or if they are just something that gets sticky and dirty fast. I suppose I could go out and buy a holder even now, or find one in a catalog, but first I'd like to find out if anybody has experience--good or bad--using holders.

Then there are those who chew on their cigars. I knew a guy once who used to chew Connecticut Broadleaf cigars. He would chomp off a couple inches at a time and chew and spit, then take another bite. That's not for me--I don't have enough teeth left to be able to chew tobacco. When I take a train I bring snuff. They can't stop me from using that yet.

But maybe a nice holder......?

http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/1831262/Cigar-Minder-Cigar-Clip/

There's a Cigar clip for you, they also come in different metals.

I just chew leaves after a good wash and dry.

CT Tobaccoman

Back in the 1970s, I had several different cigar bits (holders). One was Turkish meerschaum. They do look elegant. Unfortunately, my experience with them for cigars is that it's like drinking a fine wine through a drinking straw. It does keep your white dress gloves clean--you do wear them, I'm sure--but the taste of the leaf is lost.

Unlike pipe tobacco, which I find to be not very enjoyable in the mouth, good cigar leaf is a pleasure.

Bob

I thought that might be the case. Don't think I would like a cigar bit, maybe a cigarette holder

Status
Not open for further replies.