Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Licorice as an additive to cigars. The good, bad and ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Baccy

I just ordered Lorann anise oil from amazon. Thanks for the help fellas I hope you are reimbursed for your time and effort on here.

Gdaddy

Thread resurrection time guys. Can anyone supply a link to the proper type of Licorice or Licorice extract to add to chew to for flavour. When I search the net I get mostly tinctures creams candies and so on. Thanks

What you want is called ' Glycyrrhiza glabra ' It really doesn't taste anything like Anise type of flavor nor does it taste like licorice. It adds sweetness and little flavor.The big flavor boost in chew comes from the molasses. There are many types of molasses to try also... like Carob.

The secret... I also bought a 12 ton press at Harbor freight ($60) that makes great chew plugs as well as pressing pipe tobacco. The press made a huge improvement in the end result and is highly recommended. It presses all the juices from tobacco and licorice/molasses into a whole new super delicious composite plug. I use double wall 3" pvc tubing that produces a hockey puck size plug. The smell will make your mouth water.

Licorice.jpeg

2Baccy

Thanks GdaddyI will get a bottle of that on hand and see what kind of a concoction I can put together. I also didn’t know there were different types of molasses. Do you add glycerin or any other things I may find useful. Thanks

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
While flavoring oils will not dissolve in water, you can easily add a drop or two of oil into vodka or other alcohol, then use that solution for applying the flavor to your leaf. Allow the alcohol to then evaporate.

Bob

Gdaddy

Thanks GdaddyI will get a bottle of that on hand and see what kind of a concoction I can put together. I also didn’t know there were different types of molasses. Do you add glycerin or any other things I may find useful. Thanks

Glycerin is important to add to retain moisture and it also 'carries the flavor'. Chefs use butter in cooking for this very reason. A well marbled steak is so tasty because of the fat that gets rendered. Glycerin does the same thing.

I've been experimenting a lot with flavorings in pipe tobacco to see what changes can be made to the flavor. One of my favorites is Jim Beam maple bourbon. At the right amount it's delicious. Real good quality vanilla is my all time favorite. I buy the Madagascar beans and let them soak in water and a touch of vodka to prevent mold. Yum.

When adding tobacco in the press I have also had VERY good results adding some spices mixed in with the tobacco. McCormicks apple pie spice is incredible. I also enjoy 'allspice' (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg) or some Chinese 5 spice.

I make a solution using one of the spices. Put a fair amount in small jar of water with some vodka as preservative and let it steep for at least 2 weeks. Take a spray bottle and some of the solution add some glycerin and spray the leaves on both sides. Let them dry a bit to normal case (not too wet) and then put it in the press and add 6 tons of pressure for couple of days. You'll have a very sticky brownie that smells and tastes incredible for chew or pipe.

Canadian Virginia flue cured is the sweetest I've tried blended with some burly and or some red Virginia and throw in some black cavendish. For the pipe I really love the Latakia added maybe a touch could be interesting in some chew. The dark fired is another powerhouse flavor that has a smokey sweetness that I really love (watch the nicotine level using this leaf)

Try not to over do it by adding all the ingredients at once and you should be fine.

Again, the press is the secret. It combines all the ingredients including the oils from the tobacco and creates something really special.

2Baccy

Thanks again Gdaddy I can use the neighbors press any time I like so I will certainly try that out, makes sense it should really merge everything. I will look at your video some time I get near wifi I’m too cheap to pay for internet at home haha just using cell data.

Gdaddy

Thanks again Gdaddy I can use the neighbors press any time I like so I will certainly try that out, makes sense it should really merge everything. I will look at your video some time I get near wifi I’m too cheap to pay for internet at home haha just using cell data.

BTW.. that's not me in the video but it shows the press and the process and the end result. Watch when you can.

2Baccy

Thanks @Gdaddy my first 3 attempts at making chew last night were a horrible failure of super sticky, super sugary, bad tasting garbage. haha but I haven’t given up yet.
Turns out I dont like condensed apple juice that much.
I also don’t think I like the aroma from “blackstrap molasses” I will try “fancy molasses”. I’m using some flu cure scraps to test with and certainly haven’t produced anything worth even pressing but hope to eventually.

Gdaddy

Thanks @Gdaddy my first 3 attempts at making chew last night were a horrible failure of super sticky, super sugary, bad tasting garbage. haha but I haven’t given up yet.
Turns out I dont like condensed apple juice that much.
I also don’t think I like the aroma from “blackstrap molasses” I will try “fancy molasses”. I’m using some flu cure scraps to test with and certainly haven’t produced anything worth even pressing but hope to eventually.

The tobacco you use has an influence on the flavors as well. I've always been amazed at the difference in flavor of pipe tobacco vs. cigar tobacco. Like night and day.

Are you pressing it?

2Baccy

I didn’t press any yet no I am only doing about 2 leaves at a time and trying it without pressing. It was so terrible that a press couldn’t fix it.
The 4th batch actually shows potential and I will recreate it again in quantity enough to press it. The only thing I don’t like about batch 4 is the blackstrap molasses is too rich for me. I will try fancy grade molasses next time in hopes of a milder flavour.
Do you think 100% Virginia flue cure would make a nice chew? It’s all I have ready right now to experiment with. When I washed a leaf of Levi Garrett it didn’t appear to be a flue cured leaf it was too dark.

Gdaddy

I didn’t press any yet no I am only doing about 2 leaves at a time and trying it without pressing. It was so terrible that a press couldn’t fix it.
The 4th batch actually shows potential and I will recreate it again in quantity enough to press it. The only thing I don’t like about batch 4 is the blackstrap molasses is too rich for me. I will try fancy grade molasses next time in hopes of a milder flavour.
Do you think 100% Virginia flue cure would make a nice chew? It’s all I have ready right now to experiment with. When I washed a leaf of Levi Garrett it didn’t appear to be a flue cured leaf it was too dark.

You could try some Burley and some dark air cured or even some dark fire cured for some additional flavor.

Lumberjack

The addition of licorice root extract has been my latest experiment and takes the cigar to a whole new level. It's really fantastic. Super smooth and tasty. No detection of any flavor just a great improvement overall. I've tried many toppings with poor results until now. A mellow, slightly sweet woody flavor that enhances every leaf for the better. Removes harshness in a big way and has NO flavor of licorice what so ever. (most licorice candy is flavored with anise) The cigar is amazingly good.

The bad news is that licorice root when it is burnt produces several nasty chemicals. Benzene being one of the worst one. Licorice is used in cigarettes and not looked at favorably.

The argument could be made two ways. The positive side would be that 4 cigars a week would be much less benzene than a pack a day cigarette smoker. The other negative side of the argument would be that I'm voluntarily increasing toxicity levels that really isn't necessary other than enhancing the flavor. But this is why we smoke, isn't it? For the flavor? This is why cigarette companies do it.

Since cigar smoking isn't the most healthy thing to do in the first place adding a known carcinogen to the mix may not be the wisest thing to do even when done in moderation.

Since I'm not inhaling the smoke are the benzene levels so low that the added risk is minimal? According to the FDA the acceptable level of benzene is zero. I don't have the answer. Certainly benzene is present even in the air we breath or car exhaust or filling your gas tank but intentionally adding it to my cigars as well as some other toxic chemicals??? May not be the best thing but, on the other hand, it certainly makes for a more pleasurable smoking experience.

Makes me wonder what cigars I've been smoking that have this added already. You know, the ones that are super smooth and woody with slight sweetness. I may have been smoking them for years and don't know it. The tobacco from WLT is not treated with licorice(I don't think it is) so it has an advantage at the sacrifice of some smoothing and flavor.

What say you?

From the FOPH about licorice...

http://www.bag.admin.ch/themen/drogen/00041/00618/13196/13208/index.html?lang=en
WOw. Glad I read this. I thought about doing this, now may hold off. From a storage standpoint, do you store them separate to limit cross flavoring to non licoriced cigars??

OkeePhoenix

Most "licorice" flavored cigars are actually flavored with ANISE which is TOTALLY difrerent....

Anise, fennel and licorice are three entirely different plants, but they all have similar taste properties. They are all sweet and aromatic. This often leads to confusion when eating products that contain any one of them.
Anise
Anise is an herb that’s quite often used in western herbal products. The seed and the oil are used more often than the root or leaf.
Anise (Pimpinella anisum), is in the aster or daisy family. Some call this Roman Fennel. Its flowers are star-shaped and it is commonly called star anise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muggs

Banned
Dam,look at what's in a Diet soda next time,
Are the Fluoride in your Drinking water
Everywhere you turn there's some chemical
The processed foods are loaded with CHEMICALS.
So a little added to tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.