Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What is "Hungarian" tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've been meaning to ask this for a long time. I know the difference between Burley, Maryland, Flue cured, etc but why does Hungarian get a classification all by itself? What type of tobacco is it closest too?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'll start by saying that I have never grown Hungarian tobacco. FmGrowit has, and sent me some samples, which I have smoked as is, and have smoked after kilning. Colón comes immediately to mind. (That would be Cristobal Colón, or "Columbus," as in 1492.) Unkilned, it is quite strong. The leaf is large, flexible, stretchy and thick. After kilning, it is still robust, making a heavy, medium-brown cigar wrapper. Very tasty.

We often forget that many European, Asian and Middle Eastern countries were well on their way to growing distinctive tobaccos before the founding of Jamestown. Dutch and Portuguese merchants carried seed of many tobacco varieties throughout the world in the early and mid 1500s.

As you probably know, "Turkish" tobacco refers to the many varieties of tobacco grown within the wide boundaries of the Ottoman Empire. These included Greece and the various Balkan states that were a part of the Ottoman Empire, as well as Turkey, Syria and portions of the Caucasus (Armenia and Georgia) along the Black Sea. Since the final collapse of the Ottoman Empire following World War 1, "Turkish" tobacco has gradually come to be known as "Oriental" tobacco, though in this case, we're talking about the Western Orient, rather than East Asia and South Asia. In general, Oriental tobaccos tend to be relatively low in nicotine, though this is not true of all Oriental varieties.

Likewise, "Hungarian" tobaccos refer to the many differing varieties that were developed in Eastern Europe and Central Europe during the glory days of the Holy Roman Empire in the guise of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which also met its doom following World War 1. The tendency was to favor somewhat stronger tobaccos with intense flavor. As a group, these tobaccos have distinct varietal names.

A good source of photos of some Hungarian tobaccos is provided by Doug Moats on his Nicotiana Project website. Check out http://nicotianaproject.net/hungarian.htm.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.