Wrapper:
  • FL Sumatra - sun-grown
Filler:
  • Little Dutch
  • PA Red
  • Vuelta Abajo
  • Comstock Spanish
  • PA Swarr-Hibshman
Binder can be any decent leaf. The list of nice filler is much longer. For wrapper, I've found the FL Sumatra to be the most reliably productive variety of wrapper-grade leaf when sun-grown.

Bob

dvick003

Wow! Thanks for the great info. The FL Sumatra leaf... Can I get different wrapper color/strength/flavor from that one strain depending on the position of the leaf? What about Connecticut Shade grown in the sun? I love sun-grown wrappers. I have seen a lot of people praising the comstock spanish. I will definitely have to try that variety. Thanks Bob!

Gavin

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As with all tobacco, FL Sumatra produces a lighter leaf from the bottom of the stalk, all the way up to a deep maduro to oscuro from the tip leaf. Comstock Spanish is classed as a binder, but for me, it mostly produced full-bodied filler, though I did get some dark wrappers at the top.

My experience with CT Shade that is sun-grown, is that the leaves are too small, are fairly rugose, and have a wavy margin--none of these attributes particularly well suited to use as a wrapper. Members who have set up a shade structure (~40% shade cloth), have been pleased with CT Shade for wrappers.

For all of the cigar varieties that you grow, you will likely want to construct a kiln, to shorten the aging from 1-3 years down to 1 month. This can be as simple as a box or cooler or steel trash can with a Crockpot inside, or as complex as a large (dead) freezer with digital control elements.

Bob

dvick003

Awesome. You answered my questions Bob. I think I will stick with the FL Sumatra the first growing season and maybe branch out later on when I gather some experience. The comstock spanish will definitely be on my grow list since I love the fuller-bodied cigars. Thanks again Bob!

Gavin

dvick003

Does anyone know where I can find the PA Swarr-Hibshman or comstock spanish variety? I only see it for sale in large quantities. I cannot locate it online in small amounts. Even better, is anyone willing to spare some seed? I don't have any to trade now but I hopefully will next year.

Smokin Harley

welcome to FTT Gavin, You and I are on the same page , 2 year cigar smokers , like to be self sufficient (grow or make things ourselves) I've only been in here a few weeks and I have already learned years worth of info already.

Status
Not open for further replies.