Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco Economics

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvick003

I am always up for the challenge of growing, making, or producing things myself. But, I am wondering if it is truly worth going to the trouble to grow and store if the taste is no better or marginally so. I can regularly get premium cigars for 2 -3 dollars a piece on auction sites. Is it economically worth it when you add up the money, effort, and time? Anyone got an opinion or advice? Has anyone ever worked out the expenses including utilities?

Gavin

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I can roll cigars (double-corona size) from tobacco purchased at www.wholeleaftobacco.com for about 90 cents a stick. I can roll similar size cigars from my own tobacco for about 28 cents a stick.

When I have a half-dozen boxes of various "premium" industrial cigars in my humidor, my preference is still to roll my own. I prefer my own hand-rolled cigars because, with rare exceptions, they taste better. I enjoy them more.

Sweat equity is free. If I paid myself minimum wage for all the time involved in germinating, transplanting, growing, maintaining, harvesting, curing, kilning and rolling, my cigars would cost around $10 each--at cost, so they would retail at $15 to $20 each. But where am I going to find a Vuelta Abajo and Olor cigar wrapped in Peruvian Machu Picchu oscuro, unless I take control of the entire process?

Of course, one could ask the same cost:benefit questions about growing one's own vegetables and fruit.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Well, just off the top of my head. Seeds=free. Planting them into old yogurt cups ( or similar) =free. Raising them=free. Curing and aging=free. Rolling=free.
I'm no Economics major but it seems to me to be considerably cheaper to grow your own rather than pay $2.00 a stick.
and BTW, the taste will far exceed what you can buy.
There is a learning curve though!

Brown Thumb

That Question is like having a Prostitute or having a wife.:confused:

DGBAMA

And as to the topic, if personal satisfaction (I grew, cured, rolled, and smoked) means nothing to you and it is just about economics, then buy your smokes or roll them from whole leaf at WLT. If I don't count my time, I save money; if I do count my time, I still come out good if I consider the relaxing effect of going through the process. I enjoy both the growing and rolling. Time of enjoyment that I would be robbed of if I simply went and bought smokes.

dvick003

Thanks guys. I am most concerned with the final taste of the product. If the final product can be as good or better than bought stogies for less money, I will be growing. And yes Bob, growing veggies and fruit should be taken into consideration as well. There is no question that my homegrown fruit and veggies blows away anything bought from a store. Good to hear that tobaccy is the same way. I am now on the growing and rolling band wagon.

dvick003

And as to the topic, if personal satisfaction (I grew, cured, rolled, and smoked) means nothing to you and it is just about economics, then buy your smokes or roll them from whole leaf at WLT. If I don't count my time, I save money; if I do count my time, I still come out good if I consider the relaxing effect of going through the process. I enjoy both the growing and rolling. Time of enjoyment that I would be robbed of if I simply went and bought smokes.

I agree with you. I could buy my fruit and veggies from the store or roadside stand but I would miss the satisfaction of doing it myself. I DO enjoy growing my own food so I can imagine the satisfaction from growing, curing, rolling, and smoking your on tobacco. Thanks for the input DGBAMA.

DGBAMA

There is a lot to take in. This year is my second, and I still feel like a newb sometimes.

Two things to get you started.....
Germination/establishing starts is generally the hardest part of growing. Get seed now, more than you need. Do a couple practice runs with the starting process indoors over the winter. If you can get them from seed to 2" tall, you will be all aces when it is time to start your crop.

Second, handling/processing whole leaf takes some getting used to. Order some of the great whole leaf from WLT to enjoy great home made smokes right away and get a feel for the handling process when your own crop is finally ready.

Watching a seed the size of a coffee ground grow to 9ft in a single season still amazes me.

If you are an inquisitive type, there are over 2000 varieties of tobacco, even at 10 new types a year, you could not grow and try every one in a lifetime.

buck

For a decent smokeable stick in my area its easily $10-$15 for non Cuban Robusto, don't ask how much a Cuban costs.
Its a no-brainer growing my own or buying from WLT.

indianjoe

Founding Member
When you grow, you control any chemical additions to your tobacco, when you buy, you have no control.

Cigar

I totally agree with everything DGBAMA just said!!..[that really hurts typing his name"bama" lol] :(

cigar

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Thanks guys. I am most concerned with the final taste of the product. If the final product can be as good or better than bought stogies for less money, .

It can be but like I mentioned earlier there is a learning curve. Do a lot of reading on this site and you'll have a higher chance of rolling a high quality cigar your first try.

dvick003

DGBAMA,

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on rolling a few from purchased leaf. I hadn't thought of doing a winter practice run before planting in the spring. I think I will do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.