Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

question about rolling cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcL

Is this the video Marc?

No, it is not.
That is why I started with "If I'm hearing you correctly, your asking about when binding from left to right, that cigar requires wrapping from right to left."
The original poster has not responded to my question. ...

The OP seams to ask about direction of roll of binder and wrapper comparatively.

.... Smokin Harley..."When you roll the bunch into the binder and then to the wrapper , is the binder and wrapper applied on the same angle (rt side + rt side leaves)or opposing angles(rt side +left side leaves) ? Does it matter?"

Then after Bob answers, what seems to be the wrong question, SH tries to ask it a different way.

.... Smokin Harley... "I was actually referring to the ...lets call it the "left hand roll vs left hand roll" for the two layers. So the rolling "spiral overlap" of the binder is completely covered by the wrapper in an opposite roll but still vein parallel to the finished cigar . Like ,should the binder and wrapper both be left hand of the stem (two different leaves) or could they in theory come from the same leaf using both left and right sides?" ...

though he does go on to ask .... "do you roll from stem end to tip or vice versa? I'm thinking tip to stem end so theres a portion to use for the cap." ....

which to me is what you are talking about. vice versa is the answer, Tip to stem side of the leaf. .... Yes?

This is the video I saw posted a while back where he explains the direction of the leaf. Very important stuff and for some reason no one talks about it.

That, I think is because there is no debate about keeping the tips towards the foot.

Gdaddy

When they do lay ups of carbon fiber or fiberglass they do an 'opposite direction roll' to greatly improve the strength of the finished product. I suppose if you were trying to make the strongest cigar this would be a method used.

MarcL

Great point Don.
I'm wondering if Smokin Harley is still interested or, got his question answered. Or which of the answers pertain to what "he had a thought about the other day"

Smokin Harley

wow , I had no idea when I asked the original question it would have turned into three pages. I must have asked a question that was more or less assumed by many. The videos are great help but I'm glad I asked because of the debate following. Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to bring a new view to an old picture. Thank you to all who answered . I got my question answered to the point I now have a better understanding of what to do and why.

MarcL

Great. I just got off the phone with Jeff @ Bobalu and he said there is a traditional use of this technique, mainly when not using a mold. Only his oldest roller uses it.

MarcL

Yes. He said the technique of when binding from left to right, that cigar requires wrapping from right to left, when a mold is not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.