Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

First 2 months recap on blending hard lesson learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeotatv

This will be 2+2 = 4 math for experienced folks but figure it may help some newcomers as myself.

initial goodies were scissor cut and used the

All number below are percentages too lazy to keep hitting the percentage button....

30 bright leaf va
30 red va
20. Md 609
10 dark air
10 prilep

did a quick roll with local roll papers without casing ...it was a bit rough around the edges

sprayed wlt casing dark air type onto the whole blend... Four squirts..let sit for an hour...better / smoother
made a few more ounce batches to see how that works

what was intereting was it wasnt for a few days...mid week that the real enjoyable flavour kicked out one morning.

at first i thought it was the casing settling on (it does marinate better by letting it sit for at least several days).

that said.the taste was a deep rich flavour almost like a sugary tangerine/orange depth after taste that if you smacked your lips a few times i noticed more so.

2nd half of the batch / pouch was left out on the sun during a day of weed killing with the backpack sprayer ...had an infestation of crabgrass throughout the bermuda..so this was a full day spray day.

i was notcing that the rest of the pouch was empty smoke taste and thought it was leaving the pouch in the sun that killed off the glycerin (glycerin degrades quickly in sunlight).

After more weeks of blending / casing trying to dup the perfect taste i lost..i figured out the issue

the issue was not casing related it was the blend settling back into groups

the taste that was the lip smacker was the red va.

the bottom of the pouch was the other tobacco grouping together..ie..i probably had a lot of prilep / md/ some bright at the bottom. Therefore the red was gone and the related taste was gone.

this took me a while to figure out and it consummed a lot of time and case diy experimenting which wasnt the issue.

now that i understand the settling issue i have noticed this with 1 ounce pouches...the 2nd half bottom tends to lighten up in depth and flavour ...
i plannto remedy this with addding more red va into the pouches after the first half is gone.

this would probably not be an issue if you use powermatic machines as you are stuffing right after blending.

but if you handroll and carry pouch and papers you may encounter this.
it is probably where carrying the pouch where the "like density" tobaccos sort themselves into groups and your blend is incomplete at the 2nd half of a pouch blend.

So this may help some folks or i may be the pink elephant in the room where i am the only one encountering this perpelxing issue which is now diagnosed and remedied.

Freeotatv

Re: First 2 months recap on blending hard lesson learnedu

Btw the subject heading should be (....hard lesson learned)...the "u" at the end was a mistype...sorry.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member

Yeah, the VA red is magic. I think that is the moral of the story :)

You could probably mix rubber mulch with it and still have one of the best smokes ever.

Freeotatv

Yup agreed...i recently.went with some red va by itself....its almost too tasty to fathom

When u first started most proobaly want to duplicate a commercial brand...after a few months..you can reflect on that and say why would i want to try to duplicate a big mac taste with fresh ground beef......

DGBAMA

Yup agreed...i recently.went with some red va by itself....its almost too tasty to fathom

When u first started most proobaly want to duplicate a commercial brand...after a few months..you can reflect on that and say why would i want to try to duplicate a big mac taste with fresh ground beef......
Perfect comparison. Well said.

Freeotatv

Yup...agreed..i started casing bc i thought it was necessary to make the blend palletable...after working with blends for a bit im starting to think my latest blend is palletable without it...ill be trying a no case blend later this week...my preference from the onset was to not case..

But wtf do i do with all this glycerin....?!

BarG

Founding Member
This will be 2+2 = 4 math for experienced folks but figure it may help some newcomers as myself.

initial goodies were scissor cut and used the

All number below are percentages too lazy to keep hitting the percentage button....

30 bright leaf va
30 red va
20. Md 609
10 dark air
10 prilep

did a quick roll with local roll papers without casing ...it was a bit rough around the edges

sprayed wlt casing dark air type onto the whole blend... Four squirts..let sit for an hour...better / smoother
made a few more ounce batches to see how that works

what was intereting was it wasnt for a few days...mid week that the real enjoyable flavour kicked out one morning.

at first i thought it was the casing settling on (it does marinate better by letting it sit for at least several days).

that said.the taste was a deep rich flavour almost like a sugary tangerine/orange depth after taste that if you smacked your lips a few times i noticed more so.

2nd half of the batch / pouch was left out on the sun during a day of weed killing with the backpack sprayer ...had an infestation of crabgrass throughout the bermuda..so this was a full day spray day.

i was notcing that the rest of the pouch was empty smoke taste and thought it was leaving the pouch in the sun that killed off the glycerin (glycerin degrades quickly in sunlight).

After more weeks of blending / casing trying to dup the perfect taste i lost..i figured out the issue

the issue was not casing related it was the blend settling back into groups

the taste that was the lip smacker was the red va.

the bottom of the pouch was the other tobacco grouping together..ie..i probably had a lot of prilep / md/ some bright at the bottom. Therefore the red was gone and the related taste was gone.

this took me a while to figure out and it consummed a lot of time and case diy experimenting which wasnt the issue.

now that i understand the settling issue i have noticed this with 1 ounce pouches...the 2nd half bottom tends to lighten up in depth and flavour ...
i plannto remedy this with addding more red va into the pouches after the first half is gone.

this would probably not be an issue if you use powermatic machines as you are stuffing right after blending.

but if you handroll and carry pouch and papers you may encounter this.
it is probably where carrying the pouch where the "like density" tobaccos sort themselves into groups and your blend is incomplete at the 2nd half of a pouch blend.

So this may help some folks or i may be the pink elephant in the room where i am the only one encountering this perpelxing issue which is now diagnosed and remedied.
I rolled that way for over a year , with pouch and papers.There is not much distinction besides the filter from the powermatic roller. I lined my deer skin pouch lined inside with bugler pouch after having trouble with case with plain deerskin. By the way, I still smoke all natural with just aging or kilning my tobacco.

Freeotatv

Gdaddy..i have rolled a cigar with

bright va/ red va /dark air as fillers
md609 double leaf binder wrap
dark air rolled with a pin in med casing

made a good cigar

the red va popped out as usual which was a good thing

thanks don..all dons leaf ...and his recommendation that i could use dark air as a wrapper

it was molded in a 8" long diy cigar mold with 3/4 spade bit for the insert holes.

Freeotatv

Barg..good to hear there are those still doing it old school handroll.

Theres a few benefits to handroll

you can use raw classic papers... Which are about a penny a sheet...no machine costs and if you flare out the roll you toss a very low amount away with each roll... Less waste ..better economics
it

also always leads to a conversation when someone new sees you handroll...

Status
Not open for further replies.