Current blend

below is in grams

9 bright leaf
9 red va
3 prilep
6 md 609

no casing

taste good bit almost a little sweet

will burley instead of md 609 cut the va with a bit more chocolate taste flavour to offset the 2 flue cured va

havent hit burley yet..but post by other members refer to it as a chocolate flavour to the blend

im trying to offset that sweet va to round the flavour and cut the sweet va hit a bit...

Freeotatv

Thanks...i actually dropped dark air from my blend ...for my taste it was a bit of a bite...any thoughts of burley...the md trims the sweet of the va flues but im thinking the burley would offer the cut and add some non sweet flavour to round out the sweet depth of the flue va's?

grgfinney

Have you tried it after it was kilned for a month? Very good and doesn't close your throat up, if you get some burley make sure it is aged 2 yrs or put it in the kiln for a month, also toasting burley will settle it down a bit

DGBAMA

Burley comes in between the Maryland and dark air, may be just what you are looking for.

The Red VA contributes more "sweetness" you may try reducing the red, replace with more bright.

Maybe give the dark air a second Chance, as a minor component, a couple grams or less. Let the blend rest a day or three before smoking, to allow everything to "meld".

Freeotatv

Thanks guys...they all make sense....

i may give dark air a 2nd chance...initially i had the same blend with 4 grams dark air in it and it was a bit more of a bite than i was looking for.

this was when i was scissor cutting..so part of the issue may have been larger chunks of the dark air overpowering parts of the roll...bc i did find the original blend with dark air to be good but after going through a few ounces it start bleeding a bit heavy into the taste.

now that i have the powermatic oversized chunks will not be an issue....

ill drop a few grams of powermatic shredded into the blend and report back on taste

the comparison of burley is extremely helpful..helps me narrow down how it fits in te spectrum and will more than likely fit that ingredient im thinking would round out the flavour.

thanks again...very helpful

DGBAMA

I find the dark air to be well rounded in the flavor it brings to a full flavor blend. The trick is how much, and that is an individual thing. Sometimes less is more.

Although I love to try a new blend as soon as it is made, I have learned to withhold judgment until it has rested a few days. It can change quite a bit in the first few days.

The mild manners of Maryland can tempt you to add more, but too much even though tastes good and not harsh, can make your head spin. Nicotine is strong.

Freeotatv

Thanks man..i dropped 2 grams into a 20 gram and the rounded flavour is back.

I dropped 10% back into a few 30 gram batches to let it marinate.

i 100% agree with your comment about blend melding together after a few days will change the note of the blend

the dark air adds just emough of a deep non sweet flavour to cut the sweet va's for a full texture

Cigar

Have question here about using 'cigar' tobacco in blends for cigarettes?I read about using burley/darkair etc in cigars but not the other way around. Only thinking-out loud here maybe too strong for most?

Cigar

Cigar

speaking of old cigarette tobacco I was wondering if anyone here could possibly help me with this tobacco that I have?tobacco.jpg

Cigar

Thanks leverhead..that was some great info..wow I really have to grow some of my own plants next year for sure now.

Cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.