Nicaraguan Seco 1 part
Nicaraguan Viso 1 part
Dominican Binder
Criollo 98 Ligero Wrapper

Nicaraguan Seco 1 part
Nicaraguan Viso 1 part
Aleman Binder
Aleman Wrapper

I enjoy the 2 pretty much, but was looking for a little more chocolate / coco flavor.

I had issues with 5. Primarily the wrapper didnt want to stay lit. If I puffed regularly on it, I could keep it lit, but this is not how I enjoy smoking. If I smoked at a normal pace, the filler would burn quicker and essntially tunnel and go out. I also started getting a slight bitter flavor in 2nd half, so I put it down. This also had a HUGE nic kick.. well huge for me.
I am thinking the 98 Ligero is not a very good wrapper option. I have read around here, really anything can be a wrapper, so maybe it was the Binder + wrappper combo that was an unhappy mix.

I plan to try a similar mix, but only utilize maybe a 1/4 or so leaf of the 98 Ligero as part of the filler, and try a Habana 2000 wrapper on it.

If you have any input on my findings or suggestions on where I should go from there, it will be appreicated.
Any recommendations on specific leaf that is a good wrapper as well as filler?

Oh, a question.. is there a name for a half leaf? i.e. one side of the main vein. I tend to roll with 7 of them, so really 3 and a half leafs.

Freeotatv

Thought on cigar not staying lit.

Was the case too high?...i just started rolling cigars and various folks have said to let the cigar sit for a week or so to let the cigar dry a bit.

I let me first one dry for a few weeks before trying it and it did stay lit as expected....i did let it sit for a bit at time...but it was long enough where it was expected to need a relight.

Freeotatv

One other thought....may wana build a diy cigar mold...itll make em look store quality.

If you have a drill /3/4 spade bit and 2x6...you can build one in under an hr and only have to buy 3.5" bolts/fender washers and wing nuts.

The version i made allows you to clamp down the mold with the wing nuts...so you dont need to place a weight on it.

LewZephyr

@deluxestogie
Thanks for the info. I may still just use the word strip at least for my notes.

@Freeotatv
I don't think the case should be too high. I kept them outside of the Humidor for a couple of days to drop from the roll.
I do have DIY PVC molds, but typically only use them for the binder. Wrapper I don't typically do it.
On a few of these sticks I didn't use as much filler as I should have, so the mold didn't bring much to the party.

I think I plan to let the 5's rest a few more, and if same issue I will strip off the wrapper and try a different one. Heck, it might just be the dominican binder. It felt kind of thick after using the Aleman binder.

Thanks for the feedback.

Freeotatv

When i wrapped with dark air...i put it into medium case and used a rolling pin...it thinned it out a lot

It made a world of difference when making the flag and cap...pre rolling pi it wasnt pliable enough to apply well with the tight bending/wrapping that flag and cap requires.

Freeotatv

And btw..not saying your arent pretty...anything you roll yourself looks might pretty imo

Gdaddy

Nicaraguan Seco 1 part
Nicaraguan Viso 1 part
Dominican Binder
Criollo 98 Ligero Wrapper

Don't give up just yet.

Both the seco and viso are very powerfull tobaccos to begin with then to wrap with ligero. That would knock me over.

The Criollo ligero makes a very dark and rustic wrapper which I like very much however I'd use some milder components for the filler. I use a gentle blend of Flojo and Piloto seco wrapped in Criollo 98 ligero. Makes a more gentle flavorful cigar.

Go the opposite direction and back down on the filler blend and it will allow the more subtle flavors to come through. Imagine a symphony orchestra trying to play a song where ALL the instruments were being played at full volume all the time. The sound needs to be balanced with some instruments playing quietly in the background. Once balanced the violin solo can be fully enjoyed.

Attachments

• Little Rudy 2.jpg
    Little Rudy 2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 140

Raodwarior

Chocolate, try about 1/2 leaf of Mata Fina or if more chocolate coffee 1/2 leaf San Adreas. Although I love Criollo using the Ligero for a wrapper will over take the blend and you will lose all the background flavors. Use either a Corojo wrapper or you could try a darker shade Ecuador. Just my 2 cents

Matty

Chocolate, try about 1/2 leaf of Mata Fina or if more chocolate coffee 1/2 leaf San Adreas. Although I love Criollo using the Ligero for a wrapper will over take the blend and you will lose all the background flavors. Use either a Corojo wrapper or you could try a darker shade Ecuador. Just my 2 cents

I'll second the mata fina for more cocoa flavor. 1 part Nic. seco and 1 part Nic. viso is alright for filler IMO. Dom. binder is also ok but the ligero is probably too thick a leaf to use as wrapper along with the Dom. binder. Instead, try a half leaf ligero in the filler and wrap with the seco, should burn quite nicely.

1 part nic seco
1/2 part nic viso
1/2 or 1/4 part ligero
Dom binder
Seco wrapper

Cigar

What cigar tobacco is closely related to the Ecuadorian Sungrown leaf to any leaves by WLT or any others?

Cigar

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Without a varietal name, "Ecuadorian Sungrown" could be just about anything. Much of the tobacco grown in Ecuador is nominally sun-grown, but is shielded during most of the season by persistent cloud cover.

Both CT Shade and Sumatra are grown as wrappers in Ecuador. Habano filler is widely grown. Of course, most other major filler varieties are also grown there.

The marketeers of industrial cigars have found that consumers are content with just the name of the country where the leaf is grown. Over the years, I've grown somewhere near 100 varieties myself. That is to say, I've grown American sun-grown leaf.

Bob

Cigar

thank you deluxestogie for answer..the reason ask like many is most of my so-called favorite "factory" cigars list Ec.sungrown or CT Ec.grown as wrapper which now I understand could mean anything!!.lol but to get near my search is the color. reddish/oily color on some and tan/sand color on others.

Cigar

Knucklehead

Founding Member
thank you deluxestogie for answer..the reason ask like many is most of my so-called favorite "factory" cigars list Ec.sungrown or CT Ec.grown as wrapper which now I understand could mean anything!!.lol but to get near my search is the color. reddish/oily color on some and tan/sand color on others.

Cigar

The colors can change from one leaf position to another on the same plant.

charlie G.

Has anyone tried to match the blend in Padron cigars ? Just wondering. I have enjoyed all of the Padron cigars I have smoked and don't have a clue where to start to match That flavor profile. I have searched but it seems they are tight lipped on what tobacco they use in their blends. all I have found and read is they use Nicaraguan tobacco.

LewZephyr

Has anyone tried to match the blend in Padron cigars ? Just wondering. I have enjoyed all of the Padron cigars I have smoked and don't have a clue where to start to match That flavor profile. I have searched but it seems they are tight lipped on what tobacco they use in their blends. all I have found and read is they use Nicaraguan tobacco.

Best I can say is sun-grown habano Nicaraguan aged 2 1/2 years.

(I stole that from Wikipedia)

I would love to replicate what they make as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.