Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Newbie nerd from TX/WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpa

Welcome! I've found that growing tobacco in Harris county to be difficult at best, I have grown some nice tobacco in Montgomery county. The soil is still pretty fine, but it drains better. Anyway... It's a good bunch here, something new every day.

Well, I am presently living inside the loop in a town home with a postage stamp sized yard so I don't think I will be growing much there. I did purchase some land west of Austin and plan on building a "retirement" compound there. Just looking for architects now do it won't be for a few years. Maybe by then I will know enough to actually grow something. The farmer in nature is strongly calling to me.

Grumpa

Grumpa

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to check out the index of key FTT threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum.

What were the constituents of your custom pipe blend?

Already have paying particularly close attention to your posts. You seem to be a veritable google of tobacco information.

My custom mixture started life as a blend called Arabian from my local Edwards Pipe shop. I had the base blend modified by removing a component then adding two or three more including more Latakia (mmmmm...Latakia!). Unfortunately, I cannot remember what those were. I know the base blend included cubed tobacco which is probably a burley, I think some brown cavendish, a fair amount of Latakia and deertongue (mmmm..deertongue!). I only have a few crumbs and dust leftover from my last bag so I can't use that for reconstruction. I have been unable to find any reference information on what Arabian originally consisted of and the couple of Edwards that I called had never heard of it. So I guess I just have to experiment. This is not a problem for two reasons: 1) I love tinkering with stuff like this and 2) the search has greatly expanded my horizons on available tobaccos.

Grumpa

Baylor

I see there are a few Texans 'round these parts.

Howdy Grumpa. Even in a postage stamp sized yard I bet you could squeeze in a couple of plants to get the feel of it. Fun stuff!

charlie G.

Welcome Grumpa
I know what it's like to louse your favorite blend of pipe tobacco. I us to smoke a blend called Jacks 10/10 from a Jack's tobacco and they closed up and never could figure that mixture out. I miss it.
Again Welcome

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Many of the "house" blended pipe blends created by tobacconists utilize Lane Bulk and now Altadis Bulk tobacco. To my knowledge, most of those bulk tobaccos, even those named as a pure variety, are cased. Cornell & Diehl used to sell uncased blending ingredients in bulk, including Deer Tongue (not a tobacco), but since Craig Tarler died, and they sold out to a tobacco marketing company, I'm not sure if they offer those any longer.

Don sells several flue-cured varieties, burley, Maryland, dark air-cured and Cyprian Latakia. You still need some Perique and Cavendish to make up a reasonable blending pallet for English-style blends, but you can easily make Perique and Cavendish at home from some Maryland. All without having to grow anything.

Bob

Grumpa

Many of the "house" blended pipe blends created by tobacconists utilize Lane Bulk and now Altadis Bulk tobacco. To my knowledge, most of those bulk tobaccos, even those named as a pure variety, are cased. Cornell & Diehl used to sell uncased blending ingredients in bulk, including Deer Tongue (not a tobacco), but since Craig Tarler died, and they sold out to a tobacco marketing company, I'm not sure if they offer those any longer.

Don sells several flue-cured varieties, burley, Maryland, dark air-cured and Cyprian Latakia. You still need some Perique and Cavendish to make up a reasonable blending pallet for English-style blends, but you can easily make Perique and Cavendish at home from some Maryland. All without having to grow anything.

Bob

This is going back to the late 60's-early 70's and I am pretty sure all the blends were made on site from Edwards standard formulas. I can remember quite clearly someone wanting a standard blend and the owner having to mix it for them. As far as the casing goes, who knows? I just went in every other month and got a big bagful of tobacco. I have Deertongue on hand so that is not a problem. In fact, it is one of the things I want to grow.

I did put in an order this morning though I may have to increase the Maryland amount. So as not to get off topic, check over on the Perique press thread you started for a question to the forum.

Grumpa

Status
Not open for further replies.